Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

i wouldn't have him starting at the minute as on current form don't think his form justifies a place in the team as he is one of the players who is really struggling for form this year and not sure that he is quite 100% following his knee injury but during this time of the season where we play games in a short space of time today was probably a good game for him to be rested with someone more creative like Marveaux could come in and then bring Jonas back for the trip to OT where when his running, workrate, covering etc could be better suited to that game.

Guest bimpy474

i wouldn't have him starting at the minute as on current form don't think his form justifies a place in the team as he is one of the players who is really struggling for form this year and not sure that he is quite 100% following his knee injury but during this time of the season where we play games in a short space of time today was probably a good game for him to be rested with someone more creative like Marveaux could come in and then bring Jonas back for the trip to OT where when his running, workrate, covering etc could be better suited to that game.

And breathe.

Tbf  :laugh:

And breathe.

:lol:

And breathe.

:lol:

punctuation is over rated!!

Oh Jonas, what has happened to you? :sad:

Whilst today was one of his better games this season, he's simply not the same player from last season. He's losing the ball a lot more this season - ball retention was meant to be one of his assets but he's losing that ability and he's regressing at quite an alarming rate. What a shame.

Looks like I'm going to be posting the above every week, if things keep going as they are.

As the weeks go by, all I'm feeling with regards to Jonas' continued selection is frustration and annoyance. Lovable bloke though so it's an absolute shame to see him like this.

I'm gutted for him, love the bloke, massive service to us our the years but he hasn't got it now.  Hate the amount of stick he gets from the crowd now.

This, it's just sad more than anything but he's rapidly declined. Pardew will play him cos his work rate but he offers nothing, however I have nothing but respect for him and don't like seeing him get stick.

I thought he was better last game than he had been for a long time, at least he tried to cross the ball himself instead of rolling it to Santon every single time, and there were fewer "cut in and float" crosses and more direct left foot crosses for a change.

Guest tollemache

Thing is he never had any end product to begin with. At best he caused consternation with his driving runs. I know he's playing rubbish, but if people are going to judge him by whether or not he produces good crosses etc then you're guaranteed not to be satisfied. I struggle to think of a good Jonas cross. Got lots of memories of him working his pants off and putting in the occasional threatening burst through midfield though.

from a couple days ago....but didn't see posted

--

ALAN Pardew has apologised to Jonás Gutiérrez for clipping his wings this season – and says that he must take some of the blame for his winger’s subdued performances, writes MARK DOUGLAS.

The Newcastle boss has deployed Gutiérrez in a central midfield role or as part of a “narrower” three-man midfield as part of a tactical reshuffle this term, but admits that it has dulled the impact of one of last season’s star men.

In a candid midweek interview, Pardew pin-pointed Gutiérrez as one of his key men who had struggled to match the heights of last season – before confirming that he would “stand with” the midfielder and not drop him.

To be fair Gutiérrez (pictured below) has been playing through the pain barrier for large parts of the campaign, although Pardew says that his injury has cleared up and expects him to start today’s crunch clash with QPR.

In a heavy hint that he will try to move Gutiérrez back onto the wing, he admitted that playing him more centrally had caused many of the Argentinian’s problems this term.

“Yeah, and I think that (his new position) perhaps that hasn’t helped him,” he said. “I take some criticism for that. I’ve played him narrower a little bit, and I think he’s got a fair argument to say that I should be playing him in position.”

Although Pardew shied away from hailing today’s game against Harry Redknapp’s improving QPR as a “must win”, he is well aware of the importance of the game to United’s festive fortunes.

They take on Manchester United, Arsenal and Everton over Christmas – a run of treacherous games that makes today’s Rangers clash all-important. Luckily for Pardew a clear seven days without a game gives him a week’s preparation, and has allowed him to work with Gutiérrez on the training pitch in a bid to solve a run of below-par performances.

“It’s something I’m working on with him, he’s an important player for us and an important character in the dressing-room,” he said.

“They’re important players, your big players.

“You’ve only got to look at Jonás; he signed a new contract last year, he was fantastic last season, an unsung hero in a lot of ways, balancing us up, taking us up the pitch, giving us a rest, and he has not been at his best.

“He’s had an injury he’s played with, we think he’s a lot better going into this game and I thought he improved significantly in the second half against City.

“I thought he looked more like his old self. We need him to play well.”

Read more: Journal Live http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/12/22/61634-32477912/#ixzz2FvwrEfoL

I'm gutted for him, love the bloke, massive service to us our the years but he hasn't got it now.  Hate the amount of stick he gets from the crowd now.

SE Corner constantly sing his name????

personally think the only thing he's poor at hasn't changed and that's his final ball.

Guest neesy111

SE Corner constantly sing his name????

personally think the only thing he's poor at hasn't changed and that's his final ball.

The same corner that keeps singing Pardew's name as well.....