Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Would have him as a sub, to help close out games, covering Santon which he does very well. However he offers very little going forward now and that is the most important aspect of the position he plays, hopefully Marv is fit asap.

I have never liked a player as much as I like Jonas. Despite the fact he's always been fairly limited as a player, there's just something really loveable about the bloke. Even now in his current state of seemingly permanent shitness I just can't bring myself to dislike him. In other words, I want to feed him pitted olives and stroke his hair whilst he soothingly hums some unknown Latino tune in his beautiful nasal voice.

If you thought Jonas was excellent on Tuesday night you've absolutely no right to complain about the football we play for the rest of the season.

If you read that quote, the only aspect of his game which was praised was his running and defensive work, and that's basically why Pardew keeps picking him.  No one claimed he'd played excellent football.

He is going through a bad patch of form, but he does that. Funnily enough he flies when the team flies and sinks when we sink. With the club sinking recently I haven't written him off yet!

This is easily the longest spell of bad form he's had for us. And during those other bad spells, he's looked a lot more mobile than he does now.

He was worse in the relegation season in my opinion.

That's open to opinion, but I don't think anyone can deny he looks much less mobile than he has ever done, which is my biggest worry with him. He's always put a shift in defensively, and whilst his attacking has always been hit and miss, he was very good at carrying the ball and was pretty quick. He offers bugger all going forward now.

That's open to opinion, but I don't think anyone can deny he looks much less mobile than he has ever done, which is my biggest worry with him. He's always put a shift in defensively, and whilst his attacking has always been hit and miss, he was very good at carrying the ball and was pretty quick. He offers bugger all going forward now.

Don't you think that's because he plays deeper now as part of a defensive 4-3-3?

Don't you think that's because he plays deeper now as part of a defensive 4-3-3?

Not particularly to be honest, he still has occasional opportunity to get forward and have a go at his man, and he looks like he has no confidence in his ability to beat his man, and it's sad to say he looks a lot slower now.

He also doesn't seem to win anywhere near as many free kicks as he used to, which was always vital for us as it relieved pressure on us.

I've banged this drum enough times now, but I think Enrique leaving/Ryan Taylor playing left back has contributed massively to his downfall. He protected (very well might I add) Raylor whilst he was left back, but pretty much sacrificed any attacking responsibilities he had. Since then it's like he's forgotten how to attack.

Was he bollocks, at least he attempted to carry the ball then. He is contributing nothing to us at the minute, he needs to be removed from the first 11 at the earliest possible opportunity.

I get the criticisms of Jonas but I do think some views are harsh. He was one of the main reasons we looked a cut above in the championship and despite a dip in form over the last 12 months is as commited as anybody. He's no Iniesta and at the same time at his best he isnt/wasnt half as limited as people make out. People who are waxical lyrical about the club needing to get rid whilst hailing the likes of Ryan Taylor as a fantastic squad player (I agree to extent fwiw) need to give their heads a shake. Its possible he's reaching his autumn years but he still has a role to play at this club.

I get the criticisms of Jonas but I do think some views are harsh. He was one of the main reasons we looked a cut above in the championship

Was he bollocks, man. He did well at times but still frequently looked a poor footballer.