Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Look, he scored today and well done. But other than the goal, he was his normal self.

His crossing was atrocious, his passing was poor but his effort and tracking back were (as always) good. Let's not start heralding this as some kind of second coming. He was his usual self, apart from one header. If we could count on him to score 10 a season, I could put up with his deficeincies. But that was his first, and even if he plays every minute until the end of the season we all know deep down that we're unlikely to see even one more between now and May.

Still, good goal from him, great win, let's enjoy the positives for one night.

You expect a wide player/midfielder to chip in with 10 goals before you consider them decent squad members? Well, I guess we have different expectations? His crossing was atrocious you say? Did you miss his left footed cross that was perfect for Cisse on the near post? He's not just a grafter, don't see why people convince themselves he is, just because he's the new scapegoat..

Guest bimpy474

Look, he scored today and well done. But other than the goal, he was his normal self.

His crossing was atrocious, his passing was poor but his effort and tracking back were (as always) good. Let's not start heralding this as some kind of second coming. He was his usual self, apart from one header. If we could count on him to score 10 a season, I could put up with his deficeincies. But that was his first, and even if he plays every minute until the end of the season we all know deep down that we're unlikely to see even one more between now and May.

You expect a wide player/midfielder to chip in with 10 goals before you consider them decent squad members? Well, I guess we have different expectations? His crossing was atrocious you say? Did you miss his left footed cross that was perfect for Cisse on the near post? He's not just a grafter, don't see why people convince themselves he is, just because he's the new scapegoat..

It's really his crossing that's the problem though mate, he must have hit the first man with half a dozen crosses as i'm watching the game back now. You can't just pick out one good one from that lot.

His job is as a winger, if he gets his crossing better then he plays and deserves too, everything else, workrate, teamwork etc warrants it.

Still pissed off about the team selection mate? :pow:

It's really his crossing that's the problem though mate, he must have hit the first man with half a dozen crosses as i'm watching the game back now. You can't just pick out one good one from that lot.

His job is as a winger, if he gets his crossing better then he plays and deserves too, everything else, workrate, teamwork etc warrants it.

How many good crosses did our other players put in, or the Chelsea players for that matter? Crosses is always a numbers game. Agreed, Jonas is not very good at it, but he has other qualities that make him valuable as a squad member at the very least, and sometimes he does come up with a good cross/finish. Again, I'm not advocating starting him ahead of the likes of Marveaux or Ben Arfa, I just get annoyed when people say we should just let him go for free as he is completely useless nowadays, which he clearly isn't.

Guest bimpy474

Feel abit sorry for him, think his legs have gone, his heart passion and desire are still there and he loves the club, not just another foreign mercenary, enjoy your goal and night jonas lad :)

Tbf his legs looked fine today, chased and chased and didn't run out of steam.

Not bothered about his crossing tbh, its his passing, touch and quite frankly when we are trying to counter he slows the pace right down akin to how Simpson use to.

This is about his performances this season btw.

He was actually really good today and i felt he looked a lot more comfortable on the right which was pleasing to see.

He looked the player we came to love last season. Retained possession, got stuck in, won a few free kicks etc. He just scored the all important first goal and celebrated like a man who was so desperate to show he still had something in the tank. :aww:

Not bothered about his crossing tbh, its his passing, touch and quite frankly when we are trying to counter he slows the pace right down akin to how Simpson use to.

This is about his performances this season btw.

He was actually really good today and i felt he looked a lot more comfortable on the right which was pleasing to see.

He crossing could be better, he gets into good positions then seems to run out of ideas.

His end product has always been questionable though, it's not like this is a recent development. It took him over a year to score a goal for us. :lol:

He may have been below par this season but he still gives about as much as he can and his major strength is workrate and tenacity. We need that in the team.

His end product has always been questionable though, it's not like this is a recent development. It took him over a year to score a goal for us. :lol:

He may have been below par this season but he still gives about as much as he can and his major strength is workrate and tenacity. We need that in the team.

Jonas never hides, he's always showing for the ball and always tries, even when things aren't going well for him.

Think what struck me the most about him today was that he looked a lot sharper. Last few games it seemed like he didn´t have any reflexes. Reacted very slowly to all situations (passes, opposition players turning etc), which resulted in some very basic mistakes such as trapping a ball from a relatively easy pass.

Still, I´d prefer Anita or Marveaux a head of him for the next game, but I won´t throw the toys out of my pram when Padre selects him like I did today.

Guest icemanblue

Crossing aside, he was fantastic today. Passing and awareness on a different level to what we've seen so far. Was like the Jonas of old. Loved it when he burned Terry on the break. Missed it.

He looked the player we came to love last season.

:dowie:

Surely you mean three (or four) seasons ago..? Last season he looked shot for the latter half.

you mean while he was going a solid job out of position in cm while we were ripping the league apart  :idiot2:

The thing with Jonas is you can't turn on him for real. Hate the fact that Pardew persists with him, but man...what a likeable character he is.

His determination and fight is fantastic. It's not been enough or on show this season, but today was trademark Jonas. Shit crossing and working his bollocks off.

Jonas has never been in the team for his end product, it's his other qualities which have kept him in the side. He covers a hell of a lot of ground during 90 mins, tracks back, puts in the tackles, then carries the ball forward from defence. He's got nowhere near the ability of Marveaux, but his commitment is a massive quality in it's own right.

Not what I said.

I said that if he DID score 10 a season, I could forgive him being dreadful at crossing and passing. If he could put a decent cross in, then I could forgive the lack of goals.

The problem with Jonas is that by and large he doesn't score and doesn't create.

Also, one good cross does not a good crosser make. He tried to put in shitloads of them, and one found its man. But even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Give me 20 crosses and by luck one of them will find one of my players, you have to look at the bigger picture. Jonas can't cross for shit.

Still p*ssed off about the team selection mate? :pow:

If Pardew had gone with my line-up, we'd have won 4-0. :lol: