Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

For all he's crap I don't like this recent trend of abusing him on twitter. He seems like a great guy off the pitch.

Very true,  Jonas may well be average BUT he has been an excellent servant for this club, certainly doesn't deserve stick from divvies on the net

Not that i would do it, ot condone it but alot of the blame shoul lie with the management for all the abuse some of our players have gotten. For basically letting them get so long in the tooth. Look at nicky butt and the shit he got, move him on/stop playing him at the right time and you would avoid it.

For all he's crap I don't like this recent trend of abusing him on twitter. He seems like a great guy off the pitch.

Very true,  Jonas may well be average BUT he has been an excellent servant for this club, certainly doesn't deserve stick from divvies on the net

He was average when we signed him, he's most certainly not now. Even average wingers/midfielders get the odd goal and assist.

Wouldn't call him an excellent servant, either. I'd call him a great guy and a top pro who was signed because he was cheap and has kept his place in the team through working his nads off, not through actually contributing in the way he should as an attacking player.

He was average when we signed him, he's most certainly not now. Even average wingers/midfielders get the odd goal and assist.

Wouldn't call him an excellent servant, either. I'd call him a great guy and a top pro who was signed because he was cheap and has kept his place in the team through working his nads off, not through actually contributing in the way he should as an attacking player.

Agreed he is rubbish now BUT first season he was decent and he was one of our better players in The Championship (arguably only Colo was overall better). He has always given his all, despite not being good you can't question his effort and that is why I think it's wrong to give him stick, that should be reserved for the likes of Owen and Smith. Also it's Pardew that needs to wise up and stop picking him

Guest bimpy474

Agreed he is rubbish now BUT first season he was decent and he was one of our better players in The Championship (arguably only Colo was overall better). He has always given his all, despite not being good you can't question his effort and that is why I think it's wrong to give him stick, that should be reserved for the likes of Owen and Smith. Also it's Pardew that needs to wise up and stop picking him

Spot on but how likely is that to be, sadly :(

and he was one of our better players in The Championship (arguably only Colo was overall better).

Is this serious? He was probably the worst of the 11 regular starters at the back end of the season (post Smith).

Guest Alexinho

Creating chances has been a problem since we signed him, to be honest.

Agree he's not good enough as an attacking midtfielder - but he realt never has been!

He can't cross, create or score, end of story! The problem when he came was we thought he could b'case of his mask.. And i think Pardew still hope he can!

He works hard, makes every other pass to a player in right shirt and dribbles one to many... But blame Pardew, not Jonas. Jonas is what he is!!

Jonas was an important player for us when he arrived if only because he offered pace then in side without it, and he was one of the few who could carry the ball out of defence. Now we've moved on and really he should just be a squad player. The problem is, he's usually the first name on Pardew's sheet, and even now I'm not convinced we are looking to replace him.

Guest Nobbys Trumpet

For anyone who doesn't know, he was terrible at creating and scoring goals before he came to us as well:

At Mallorca

05/06 - App: 29, Goals: 2, Assists: 0

06/07 - App: 36, Goals: 3, Assists: 3

07/08 - App: 24, Goals: 0, Assists: 5

Overall getting 5 goals and 8 assists in 89 games, contributing on average once every ~7 games

Jonas may or may not be a great guy, but I thoroughly dislike the way, in my eyes, he's getting away with doing the bare minimum on the pitch (which I realise may contradict the view that he's one of the hardest working players we've had in recent times given his tracking back). The issue imo is that he knows Pardew only sees the defensive side of the game, and hence that's all Jonas bothers to put effort into nowadays because he knows he can get away with doing virtually nothing for the team in an attacking sense.

Pardew loves a workhorse, we all know this. That's the reason he favoured Perch so often ahead of the obviously more talented Anita and the reason he seemed to shackle Ben Arfa so much at first. Sadly Pardew is a very cautious, defensive minded coach and Jonas is picked so frequently as he sees him as another defensive cog in the usually dreadful formations we have.

and he was one of our better players in The Championship (arguably only Colo was overall better).

Is this serious? He was probably the worst of the 11 regular starters at the back end of the season (post Smith).

Eh? That's cobblers, man. He and Enrique were one of the main reasons for why we came straight back up. No one could touch them.

Eh? That's cobblers, man. He and Enrique were one of the main reasons for why we came straight back up. No one could touch them.

Absolutely correct but some people like to rewrite history to suit their agendas. I'm not sure why, pretty much everyone's agreed that he's no longer good enough for this side.

The abuse he gets on twitter is uncalled for and I can see him getting some personal stick at games to if he doesn't seriously up his game. Never known such a woeful season.

Top bloke but shouldn't be starting games for us.