Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

I don't know why people seem to think Jonas would struggle on the right.  When he came here I'm 95% sure he had played predominantly on the right for Mallorca.  The only reason he got switched to the left is because we didn't have anybody else who could do a job there. 

He clearly hasn't got much of a left foot, so if he played on the right, we might actually see some better end product.  I'm not saying he'll suddenly start whipping in Beckham esque crosses, but I'm sure he would put in better delivery on his natural side.

Guest sydneycove

The other thing with Jonas besides his pathetic finishing and crossing ability (which he makes up for with his dribbling and work rate) is how much longer will he be here. We all know he wants to give the Serie A a go before he heads back to Argentina and retirement and if he is planning to leave soon we should be looking to blood in the boys who will be here for a few seasons.

So if Enrique had stayed this season you would not have used him because he would leave us next summer anyway?

If he is leaving next season then I would have slowly intergrated Marv and Oba into the first team at his expense. He should be around the first team as often as possible but as a starting player if we have a decent LB then he should be having to out perform Marv, Oba and Fergusson.

Guest Dontooner

I would like to See Jonas and Obertan fight for the right position, However it must be done with a more balance approach. It really must depend  on who is the fullback that is protecting the wings. For example if Ryan stuck in the left back position , Jonas should automatically start , due to his ability to track back and protect ever so often. But if we put Jonas on the right with Simmo at the back , we might loose a bit of fire power.... Simmo is a right back that rarely over laps and and attack. Maybe once or twice a game, therefore i believe Obertan is a better combination as he is a more direct attacking player. I have my doubts on jonas crossing and counter attacking abilities as he never gets his head up before he crosses or pick a pass,  therefore his track record is obvious to everyone as long his habit doesnt change. Having his head down is probably also the reason why he often could dribble well and release pressure on team.

Tbh i watched Marvx since he broke into the scene, he is a very intelligent player while attacking but provides very little  protection as he wanders into dangerous advance positions. Santon is not a player i followed alot but from his videos , he looked a very attacking fullback that usually runs up the pitch nearly in every game. Therefore the contradiction...... with the pair of Marvx and Santon....unless they forgo a part of their natural game and be more discipline. Jonas and Santon is probably a more well balance team, as Santon is more attacking than Jose. They could cover one another and attack comfortably as well.

That all being said, i believe they all could fit in the team....my preference would be:

Striker

Ben Afra

Marxv    Tiote              Cabaye      Obertan

Santon  Collo                Taylor/Will  Jonas

Jonas is probably our most adaptable player in terms of his abilities ( Argentina) , i am very confident with his defensive abilities.

The pair of Marvx and Santon will need help from the midfield and Collo to cover them when they go on the rampage...

To summarize:

Jonas = Attacking 6 defense 8

Marvx = Attacking 8.5 defense 5

Obertan = Attacking 6.5(?) Defensive (6)

Santon = Attacking 8 Defensive 6(?) (Epl is different so lets see how he adapts )

Simmo = Attacking 5 Defensive 6.5

Obviously Simmo is the weak link in my opinion, if jonas could tweet his game.....and play full back positions( which i rate him half as one...) We could be sitting on a team of very talented ball possession players. It also allows us with very flexible substitutions. Hope Pardew Catches on.

It looks obvious to me that we could do with better service to the front man and Ben Arfa and Marveaux will provide that. Both have got to come in at some point. For as long as Best keeps scoring that means 2 of Ba, Jonas, and Obertan losing their place (although I suspect Ba will take on Best's role at some stage this season).

Personally I'd keep him in for as long as Taylor is at left back and I think hes done well so far this season - also think he offers alot to the team which wouldn't show up in any stats.

But a manager likes to play his own players and his final ball remains very poor. I think hes going to find himself out of the first XI in the next few weeks, and it'll be fair enough really.

I'm very pro-Jonas myself. He may not have great crossing ability but he's one of the best dribblers in the league and that terrifies defenders, who have to double up on him. This will free up space for people like HBA and Marv. It's a potentially lethal attack, but we should keep Jonas in there.

Completely agree and I really don't think that he's going to find himself out of the XI any time soon.

Jonas defence 8? What the fuck

I think he means, if you were to rate a wingers ability to track back and cover (defensive) he would be an 8. Which is fair enough as that is the best part of his game. However, i don't think he means, if he was playing at full back his ability to defend would be an 8.

It looks obvious to me that we could do with better service to the front man and Ben Arfa and Marveaux will provide that. Both have got to come in at some point. For as long as Best keeps scoring that means 2 of Ba, Jonas, and Obertan losing their place (although I suspect Ba will take on Best's role at some stage this season).

Personally I'd keep him in for as long as Taylor is at left back and I think hes done well so far this season - also think he offers alot to the team which wouldn't show up in any stats.

But a manager likes to play his own players and his final ball remains very poor. I think hes going to find himself out of the first XI in the next few weeks, and it'll be fair enough really.

I don't think he'll find himself out of the first XI unless Obertan can provide better delivery on a consistent basis. One cross last night isn't enough, he needs to be doing it week in week out because I don't think he offers anything like as much defensively or in work rate compared to Jonas.

I don't think he'll find himself out of the first XI unless Obertan can provide better delivery on a consistent basis. One cross last night isn't enough, he needs to be doing it week in week out because I don't think he offers anything like as much defensively or in work rate compared to Jonas.

With his right (outside) from the left as well, wasn't it?

Guest Dontooner

Jonas defence 8? What the f***

I think he means, if you were to rate a wingers ability to track back and cover (defensive) he would be an 8. Which is fair enough as that is the best part of his game. However, i don't think he means, if he was playing at full back his ability to defend would be an 8.

Yes thats why there is a blank before the full backs and the explanation for Jonas to adapt

I am yet to see anything to think Obertan has more 'end product' than Jonas. Also if I could pick Jonas or Obertan 1-on-1 against fullback it's Jonas for me everytime for now. Can't comment on Marveaux as I've only seen him against Villa. But if it's down to either Jonas or Obertan, Jonas has to start especially when you consider that Obertan has played the best against tired legs from the bench.

I am yet to see anything to think Obertan has more 'end product' than Jonas. Also if I could pick Jonas or Obertan 1-on-1 against fullback it's Jonas for me everytime for now. Can't comment on Marveaux as I've only seen him against Villa. But if it's down to either Jonas or Obertan, Jonas has to start especially when you consider that Obertan has played the best against tired legs from the bench.

2 assists last night  ;)

Guest icemanblue

2 assists last night  ;)

And? Jonas has had two assists in a game before. That makes them equals then, right?

Actually, no. Jonas has more assists for us than Obertan, so he's actually far better.

In conclusion; stop talking shite, you plum.

Jonas should start for me, there is no way he should be dropped after the efforts he's shown again this season but i'm really intrigued to see what he can do on the right. Marvaux on the left if possible, and then Oba challenging from the bench.

The great thing is we have the 3 of them, and they'll all get plenty of time on the pich this season, and if 2 of them get crocked we still have Barfa who can cover both sides.

Really looking forward to the competition. :smitten:

2 assists last night  ;)

And? Jonas has had two assists in a game before. That makes them equals then, right?

Actually, no. Jonas has more assists for us than Obertan, so he's actually far better.

In conclusion; stop talking shite, you plum.

If you take your Jonas glasses off you might notice my reply was in relation to the fact he said he hadnt seen any "end product" from Obertan.

Surely pointing out such recent "end product" is acceptable, non  :lol: