Drogba at his peak versus Shearer at his peak ('92-'97)

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you have Shearer's away goals stats (92-97) to hand?

No? Your response was s***.

:lol:

You are a caricature of yourself these days.

For the record my response was awesome. Shearer's support at Blackburn pales in comaprison with Drogba's at Chelsea.

Do you have Shearer's away goals stats (92-97) to hand?

No? Your response was shit.

30 in 62.

Source: Soccerbase.

didn't realise it was that bad!

Altered it slightly, missed off a Newcastle game. That's league only btw, and hardly 'bad'. :lol:

Guest malandro

Never said it was 'bad' as such. But we can all agree that Shearer was rarely effective unless the players behind him were doing their bit. Best striker in the league by a mile for a good few years, don't get me wrong.

Players like Ramage, Babayaro, Boumsong, Bramble, Elliott, Moore and Amday Faye? Between them the averaged about twenty league appearances in Shearer’s last season. When we finished 7th – the last time we featured in the top half of the PL.

AS was well past his best towards the end of his NUFC career, but that's a relative statement and his presence gave the club stature and focus. Our decline started in earnest the day he retired.

Have you ever considered that those Chelsea players look so good because of Drogba? Look at his assists.

That argument could be used both ways. Blackburn didn't have a Lampard... not only did Blackburn have midfielders that weren't as good at supportng Shearer, they also weren't as good at scoring goals. Another point: Sutton looked godly next to Shearer and was woeful without. Sutton even looked poor in the SPL.

Have you ever considered that those Chelsea players look so good because of Drogba? Look at his assists.

Have you considered that the reason he gets so many assists is because of the movement of the chelsea players who are at a higher standard than most Shearer played with? Ofcourse not obviously.

Its not a comparable situation, you cannot claim shearer was overeliant on others without knowing how Drogba would have coped in the same standard of team.

I was starting to watch the PL back then, but to me Shearer in his Blackburn days is still untouchable.

Not in any way an indictment of Drogba, who's fantastic.

Agreed - Shearer was virtually the complete CF in that period. His series of injuries whilst at NUFC took the edge of his effectiveness after 97.

Better than Drogba at leading the line and being a target man.

Shearer easily, he had it all. Better record too and was carrying that team, Drogba plays with some of the best players in the world who are as good as he is.

Shearer got 44 assists in 138 league games at Blackburn. Which isn't bad really considering apart from Sutton nobody else scored more than 5 even in their league winning season. Chelsea have defenders who get more and midfielders who get more than Sutton with all the cricket scores today.

for that specific period in question Shearer wins hands down, someone said it before - people have forgotten just how good he actually was or simply were too young

the only things Drogba beats him on for me are a bit of tricky skills on the ball when running at pace, plus his combination of pace and power

anyone know what Drogba's headed goals scored statistics are?  i'd guess that would be a 'weakness' for Drogba in any comparison between the two (without knowing the stats), shearer was fucking awesome in the air

Drogba has technicaly had 2 very good seasons in the Premership, and has played in a side that have won the league 3 times. He still hasn't hit the fabled 30+ goals mark, nevermind on 3 occasions. (2 of those we're in the 42 game seasons but he managed 34 in one of those).

Drogbas goals to games ratio last season (his best ever) was phenominal, but Shearer has hit a similar g/g about 3-4 times, and scoring over 1 goal every other game 5 times, only just missing the mark on another 5 occasions.

Drogba record for Chelsea, 170 games - 88 goals

Shearer record for Blackburn, 138 games - 112 goals (is there a better record in Premiership history?)

From a goalscoring point of view atleast, Shearer was streets ahead. Of course ther is more to both of there games though.

Guest sittingontheball

Sorry to resort to stats, but doesn't Shearer also have the record for most goals scored from outside the box? I'm sure he overtook Beckham. If some of the goals he hit for us had been for Arsenal or Chelsea, you'd never stop hearing about them.

Drogba's record against ManUre is quite poor, even with the offside gift he got last year. Rooney's and Christiano Ronaldo's records against top four aren't stellar either. Conversely, Shearer and Henry pretty much scored against everybody. The current striker who scores against everyone when fit is Torres. He makes Vidic look amateurish.

Shearer got 44 assists in 138 league games at Blackburn.

I've actually been trying to put together his assist total. Where did you get that number from? No way did he average over 10 a season at Rovers I don't think.

Shearer, hands down. Drogba is not even in his league!

Of course they're in the same league! :D