Drogba at his peak versus Shearer at his peak ('92-'97)

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

Wow, what website that is. From the looks of it Ruel Fox was exactly as good as I remember in the 94/95 season too. I knew I hadn't imagined him being good.

Guest firetotheworks

I hated him being at Blackburn like, it was fucking annoying how often he scored, especially with him being a geordie. Like the way I felt about Michael Carrick x infinity.

I hated him being at Blackburn like, it was fucking annoying how often he scored, especially with him being a geordie. Like the way I felt about Michael Carrick x infinity.

Aye I detested him at Blackburn. Never forget him celebrating like fuck when he scored past us to make it 1-1 at SJP :angry:.

I hated him being at Blackburn like, it was f***ing annoying how often he scored, especially with him being a geordie. Like the way I felt about Michael Carrick x infinity.

Aye I detested him at Blackburn. Never forget him celebrating like f*** when he scored past us to make it 1-1 at SJP :angry:.

yup.... what really annoyed me was big al getting the shout to play for england as first choice centre forward when he wasn't scoring pre-euro '96 and wor les ferdinand not getting a fair crack of the whip. of course euro '96 and signing for us happened  ;D shearer was fantastic for blackburn mind

Guest Howaythetoon

The Shearer at his peak was the best all-round centre-forward in the world, a striker who was consistently great at everything - especially scoring goals - lots of goals, from all over, with his head, either foot, from set-play and open play, in poor teams, in good teams, never in a great team though which made him even better. Imagine Shearer at his peak in the current Chelsea side, or Barcelona, or Man Utd, or Arsenal, or Spain. Shearer terrorized defenders in many different ways. Drogba is your Sir Les to your Shearer.

Guest Brazilianbob

Shearer was a better goal scorer but Drogba has much more to his overall game. 

Heard this a few times but I'm not sure where it comes from?

Shearer wasn't like a Van Nistelrooy goal poacher type, he was a very well-rounded player who could and did score every type of goal. Granted I don't think he was the intimidating physical force that Drogba is, but I'm not sure how exactly you'd classify Drogba as having "much more to his overall game"?

What exactly did Shearer lack in your view?

I think you may find one or two EPL players/defenders who disagree with the view that Shearer wasn't as intimidating physically as Drogba!

Intimidation aside, Shearers best year was 1994/5 when he had  34 goals and 19 assists in 42 games. Drogba 2009/10  - 29/18/32

Best ever Henry 2002/3 - 24/35/37

The Shearer at his peak was the best all-round centre-forward in the world, a striker who was consistently great at everything - especially scoring goals - lots of goals, from all over, with his head, either foot, from set-play and open play, in poor teams, in good teams, never in a great team though which made him even better. Imagine Shearer at his peak in the current Chelsea side, or Barcelona, or Man Utd, or Arsenal, or Spain. Shearer terrorized defenders in many different ways. Drogba is your Sir Les to your Shearer.

very, very well put

end of thread surely?

Guest Howaythetoon

I remember Shearer at home to Charlton when we finished 5th or maybe it was the season we finished 3rd, we won 3-1, he was awesome, scoring twice. He bullied Fortune, a then young defender, the fear in his eyes and on his face that day... I'll never forget, he shit himself. And this was a Shearer who wasn't in his prime but still a very very good player. A young player like that facing such a big name usually is up for it even if he comes off second best, but that day, from the first challenge Shearer put in against him, he shit himself. That's when I knew Shearer was something else outside of the stats, the goals etc. His sheer presence in our team and all the teams he's played for has meant something extra, something different. Drogba is a very good player, but he doesn't, never has and never will, represent to Chelsea or whoever, more than the sum of his parts. Shearer did and that is why he was more than just a top footballer. In many respects Shearer is actually underrated, sadly it seems even by a few Toon fans. We will never ever in our lifetimes see a better all-rounder at our club, a bigger figure, a more central player to the club's culture. Remember that when thinking of Shearer and making silly comparisons. Drogba in his own right is a damn fine centre-forward, world-class in the current standing of modern-day strikers, but in terms of all-round game again, Shearer towers above him. The Shearer of Blackburn was the best striker in the world, a forward who the great Maldini once confessed to being glad he never had to face. Again Shearer struck fear into defenders because he was so complete. I imagine Maldini would relish facing Drogba who for all his wonderful ability, goalscoring prowess and physical strength, isn't the immense figure that Shearer represented on the pitch.

I've never seen a better striker than Shearer and he was at his absolute best at Blackburn imo. The fact he was tailor-made for the Premier League helps but he would have dominated the scoring charts in any league in Europe.

The bloke had it all and I'm lucky to have seen him in his pomp. He'll still be talked about in 50 years time as a top, top striker. Legend. The fact he's born and bred Newcastle is just the icing on the cake.

Shearer for me. Stats speak for themselves obviously. Thing is he may not have scored in every game but 9 games out of 10 he would put in maximum effort and could be relied upon for that. Drogba can go missing on an off day

I remember Shearer at home to Charlton when we finished 5th or maybe it was the season we finished 3rd, we won 3-1, he was awesome, scoring twice. He bullied Fortune, a then young defender, the fear in his eyes and on his face that day... I'll never forget, he shit himself. And this was a Shearer who wasn't in his prime but still a very very good player. A young player like that facing such a big name usually is up for it even if he comes off second best, but that day, from the first challenge Shearer put in against him, he shit himself. That's when I knew Shearer was something else outside of the stats, the goals etc. His sheer presence in our team and all the teams he's played for has meant something extra, something different. Drogba is a very good player, but he doesn't, never has and never will, represent to Chelsea or whoever, more than the sum of his parts. Shearer did and that is why he was more than just a top footballer. In many respects Shearer is actually underrated, sadly it seems even by a few Toon fans. We will never ever in our lifetimes see a better all-rounder at our club, a bigger figure, a more central player to the club's culture. Remember that when thinking of Shearer and making silly comparisons. Drogba in his own right is a damn fine centre-forward, world-class in the current standing of modern-day strikers, but in terms of all-round game again, Shearer towers above him. The Shearer of Blackburn was the best striker in the world, a forward who the great Maldini once confessed to being glad he never had to face. Again Shearer struck fear into defenders because he was so complete. I imagine Maldini would relish facing Drogba who for all his wonderful ability, goalscoring prowess and physical strength, isn't the immense figure that Shearer represented on the pitch.

he said he's the only player that would stop him going to sleep at night! :smug:

Both had/have the absolute lot.

Pace, power, good in the air, fabulous strikers of the ball, great workrate. Just a nightmare to play against.

Have to give it to Shearer though, he was just a better goalscorer. Compare him in those years to what Drogba has done at Chelsea in a similar period of time. Drogba in his first 6 years at Chelsea scored 84 league goals, Shearer in the 5 seasons you've mentioned got 137. I'm sure there were a lot of penalties in there, but it's still a pretty wide margin you're talking about.

Agree, but Drogba is more creative nwo than Shearer ever was.