Drogba at his peak versus Shearer at his peak ('92-'97)

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shearer had his peak much younger than Drogba and as a result had a bit less to his overall game, was more of a sheer goalscorer, albeit it one with strength, pace and an outrageous range of shooting. Shearer's overall game developed more after he'd had injuries and lost some of that edge, ie when playing with Bellamy, though at that time he was still one of the best couple of players in the league.

What makes Drogba so special is that, by his age, strikers have usually lost that physical edge they had, yet he's as quick and strong and agile as he ever was. Perhaps this is because he came to top flight football relatively late, 23 compared to shearer's 17, and didn't really start performing in the big competitions until his mid to late 20s. Though you have to say Drogba's peak is quite short - starting from the beginning of last season. the two seasons before that he was fairly poor by his current standards, and in his first 3 seasons at chelsea he was very good, but certainly not at Shearer Blackburn levels, and still seemed raw and rash compared to now.

ultimately they aren't the same type of player if you are comparing them at their respective peaks.

Was going to start a thread for this but might as well put it in here instead.

Looking at some of my old emails at work today and I found this report of the Shearer testimonial - I'd emailed myself it, presumably to read later. Pretty sure it's from .com.

You had to be there. It's a glib phrase that usually irritates those that couldn't and inflates those that could but on Thursday May 11th, 2006, you simply had to be there - at St. James' Park, Newcastle.

For a number of reasons it had been a logistical nightmare for me to be at Alan Shearer's Testimonial but there was no way I was going to miss it. And yet on the morning of the game, I have to say there was a feeling of indifference about the whole thing.

Shearer obviously wouldn't be playing and by all accounts the team providing the opposition - perennial testimonial guests Celtic - had just come from Roy Keane's testimonial which had been overshadowed by Ruud van Nostelrooy being banned from taking part by his soon-to-be ex-Manager Alex Ferguson.

Michael Owen had also been forbidden from appearing at Shearer's - not by anyone connected with Newcastle United but by England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson. Given that Gordon Strachan had insisted some of his players take part rather than play for their country against Bulgaria this seemed like an incredible case of the tail wagging the dog. Surely Owen would be facing harder tackles in training than in a testimonial, so it seemed like an ideal game for Owen's World Cup fitness effort (not that some of us care much about his non-NUFC appearances).

We knew that some former favourites would be there; Rob Lee, Big Les, Gary Speed, Steve Watson but if you compare those names with the amazing line-up for Peter Beardsley's benefit game (Cole, Dalglish, Keegan, Beardsley, Waddle, Gascoigne and of course Shearer) the pulse wasn't exactly set racing.

Like the Beardsley game, Celtic fans were evident around the Toon all day. Presumably most of them had been on a week long binge which had only been relocated from Glasgow to Manchester and then Newcastle.  From what I saw it was all good-natured although you've got to wonder why they insisted on singing the Henrik Larsson song - if they really did think Shearer is a w*nker then they should have stayed in Manchester or Glasgow.

It was bedlam outside the ground half an hour before kick-off. The scramble for the last few copies of the Testimonial programme was unnecessary and unpleasant. As desperate as I was for a copy, I joined the end of two long queues, rather than compromise myself by joining the scrums at the front. Seeing what were probably mackem interlopers scamper off with fistfuls of the things was galling but surely it wasn't beyond the seller's wit to just sell them two at a time. Thankfully the reprint has saved a few hundred of us from being disappointed.

Queues to the turnstiles were also areas of tension with pissed up Celts and Geordies often barging past frightened bairns who were getting a rude introduction to the matchday ritual. But once inside the ground the mood changed. A black and white scarf was offered to everyone as they made their way to their seats.

A gesture so surprising I almost walked straight past what I thought was someone selling something unwanted at an inflated price. A free gift from the club? Wow. After 30 years of pain and tens of thousands of pounds spent, a free scarf worth a few quid was relatively small beer but it suddenly seemed like it was black and white ermine and I placed it around my shoulders as if it was.

Thankfully, kick-off was slightly delayed to make sure everyone got in safely and someone was sent out to warble some operatic tune to star off proceedings. I'm still not sure who she was - I'm still waiting for the programme reprint - but she seemed to be well received by those who knew her work, or had a better view than me….

And then it was time to hold up bits of coloured card that had been left on the seats. Hmmmm, not always a big fan of this with the horrible red and white stripes at Highbury still fresh in my mind. But as the black and white and gold cards were held up it soon looked stunning as two massive number "9"s emerged behind the goals and "SHEARER" in gold letters filled the East Stand. This was a good night to be in Level 7 of the Milburn….

Already, the scarves and the bits of card had been surprise but welcome additions - this was almost starting to look stage managed and professional. For someone (like ball-boy Shearer) who had been at Keegan's Farewell game these occasions can be a bit unsatisfactory - those who can remember the miserable "TOP MAN" firework display or the dreadful PA man who tried to fill for 30 minutes while we waited for the helicopter will know what I mean.

The teams lined up to give Shearer a guard of honour and as the great man walked onto the turf with his wife and kids, what looked like big speakers suddenly sent huge flames high into the air. Again, unexpected and impressive and thankfully less dangerous than sending rockets into the stands - the infamous Molineux one nearly hit Big Al.

The noise was immense, so much so that young Will Shearer had to cover his ears as the packed ground showed their appreciation. Al said he defied anyone in his shoes not to have a tear in their eye, well I was in my own shoes but I'd certainly filled up at that point.

What a reception. It really was a special moment and you wondered what on earth could follow that wouldn't be an anti-climax. The first of the match was certainly a bit disappointing, although the first ten seconds were memorable - Shearer kicked it off and was promptly replaced by Michael Chopra.

But who cared about the football? I've been to Testimonials that have ended 6-3 (Jinky Jim Smith's for example) and they have a bit of a pantomime air about them. At least Newcastle and Celtic were playing "properly" and that made Charles N'Zogbia's run and shot that Marshall saved onto the bar even better.

Half-time saw an England v Scotland penalty shootout and it was a bit of one-sided affair with Steve Harper making a few stops and some horrific penalties from the Scots. The English/Geordies fared much better and one of the youngsters hit a beauty.

Both sides made a lot of changes at the break and it made for a more open game with Gary Speed catching the eye. But just when you wondered why we'd let him go, a wayward pass would jog the memory.

Then came one of the highlights of the evening. It has to be acknowledged that it was inspired by the noisy visiting fans who had started twirling their scarves above their heads but minutes later the home sections followed suit and it was a staggering sight to see the whole ground doing it.

Rob Lee came on with a quarter of the game to go and straight away his distribution from midfield was outstanding. Within a few minutes he sprayed a pass out to Ramage and his deep cross fell perfectly for Luque to volley a stunning goal past Marshall.

The ovation for Les Ferdinand was tremendous and like the reception for Keegan at Beardsley's Testimonial it threatened to overshadow the star of the show who occasionally waved from the bench when his name was chanted.

With some old-timers starting to tire, the play was beginning to get stretched and a long ball caught out our defence, leaving Ramage to chop down Maloney in the box. The same player dispatched a smartly taken penalty and it was 1-1.

Minutes later John Hartson converted a cross from the right with a fine downward header and once again the evening threatened to fall a bit flat. We all knew that there was likely to be a late penalty but as the injury-time board was held aloft we didn't look like getting near their area, let alone get the ball inside it.

Ref Clattenburg obviously had the situation in hand and in adding three minutes extra time he was obviously giving us every chance to get the ball forward. Big Les almost equalised but a linesman's flag and some wayward control let him down.

But then a mysterious free-kick was awarded on the edge of the Celtic box and a quick free-kick suddenly found Sir Les near the byline. The merest challenge would have seen a tumble but instead Ferdinand crossed and the ball went in off Lawson to make it 2-2. Judging by the player's reactions this wasn't in the script but it was a welcome piece of ad-libbing.

From the kick-off Celtic seemed intent on giving us the ball and at the second attempt the ball found Ferdinand who charged into the box. Two challenges ensured that Clattenburg could point to the spot and with seconds on the clock the scene was set for a late substitution.

On came Alan Shearer to a mixture of cheers and chortles as the referee appeared to have a word with Marshall, presumably suggesting which way he should dive. The information was whispered in Shearer's ear and our infamous number 9 did what he does best for the final time - hit the back of the net and win us the match. It was the last kick of the game and the perfect end to the night's football.

But there was still a last chance to say farewell and the warbler was wheeled out again to sing something about saying goodbye. Given the fact that she was far from rotund, the fat lady still hadn't sung and next on the podium were Ant and Dec to coordinate some award giving from the Premier League, The FA and from Newcastle United.

The "Who are ya?" for Ant and Dec was tongue in cheek but some boos for Chairman Freddy Shepherd were less so as Al was handed various trinkets including a cast of the boots with which he broke Jackie Milburn's goalscoring record.

Shearer was interviewed and he was unusually tongue-tied as the emotion in his voice was obvious. And then he and his three kids went on a final lap of honour which seemed to fly by and the noise level remained consistently high as all four stands cheered him round.

As he neared the tunnel for the final time he gave a final wave and fireworks were launched from the top of the stands with shiny tickertape cascading down on to the pitch. Another excellent addition to a fabulous evening.

All of us had taken part in, and experienced, an evening of pure escapism - it wasn't a real match and perhaps declaring our undying love for a sheet metal worker's son for kicking a ball into a goal is something we'd struggle to justify - but the feeling between the hero and legend and those in the stands was intense and real and something none of us will forget.

:love: :indi:

Both had/have the absolute lot.

Pace, power, good in the air, fabulous strikers of the ball, great workrate. Just a nightmare to play against.

Have to give it to Shearer though, he was just a better goalscorer. Compare him in those years to what Drogba has done at Chelsea in a similar period of time. Drogba in his first 6 years at Chelsea scored 84 league goals, Shearer in the 5 seasons you've mentioned got 137. I'm sure there were a lot of penalties in there, but it's still a pretty wide margin you're talking about.

Shearer had his peak much younger than Drogba and as a result had a bit less to his overall game, was more of a sheer goalscorer, albeit it one with strength, pace and an outrageous range of shooting. Shearer's overall game developed more after he'd had injuries and lost some of that edge, ie when playing with Bellamy, though at that time he was still one of the best couple of players in the league.

What makes Drogba so special is that, by his age, strikers have usually lost that physical edge they had, yet he's as quick and strong and agile as he ever was. Perhaps this is because he came to top flight football relatively late, 23 compared to shearer's 17, and didn't really start performing in the big competitions until his mid to late 20s. Though you have to say Drogba's peak is quite short - starting from the beginning of last season. the two seasons before that he was fairly poor by his current standards, and in his first 3 seasons at chelsea he was very good, but certainly not at Shearer Blackburn levels, and still seemed raw and rash compared to now.

ultimately they aren't the same type of player if you are comparing them at their respective peaks.

I think by the time Shearer had signed for us he had lost a little bit of pace but his overall game had come on massively - the 5-0 being a prime example of that.

His last Blackburn season he was also quite the colossus, probably his best individually for them (and thus his best ever also obviously).

Shearer had his peak much younger than Drogba and as a result had a bit less to his overall game, was more of a sheer goalscorer,

His passing, crossing and awareness were often praised he had all that very early on.

Shearer was a better goal scorer but Drogba has much more to his overall game.  Whether that is down to just skill/desire/whatever or just what you have to have about you to be a world-class striker in the league these days we'll never know.  What we do know is that they are two amazing strikers and both are almost unplayable when they want(ed) to be.

Shearer was a better goal scorer but Drogba has much more to his overall game.  Whether that is down to just skill/desire/whatever or just what you have to have about you to be a world-class striker in the league these days we'll never know.  What we do know is that they are two amazing strikers and both are almost unplayable when they want(ed) to be.

Always good to read what people think. Can I ask you what he has that was much more to Shearer's game?

Shearer was a better goal scorer but Drogba has much more to his overall game. 

Heard this a few times but I'm not sure where it comes from?

Shearer wasn't like a Van Nistelrooy goal poacher type, he was a very well-rounded player who could and did score every type of goal. Granted I don't think he was the intimidating physical force that Drogba is, but I'm not sure how exactly you'd classify Drogba as having "much more to his overall game"?

What exactly did Shearer lack in your view?

Drogba's more rounded in his overall game imo, but for doing your job I'd have Shearer.

Once again, I have to disagree with this. Especially when you look at Shearer in his first season for us.

Where do you think Drogba is more rounded in his game?

His last Blackburn season he was also quite the colossus, probably his best individually for them (and thus his best ever also obviously).

Shearer had his peak much younger than Drogba and as a result had a bit less to his overall game, was more of a sheer goalscorer,

His passing, crossing and awareness were often praised he had all that very early on.

not disputing that - Shearer's first touch was top quality, and he was probably the best crosser in any side he played in - just a shame he wasn't quick enough to get on the end of his own crosses. I'd easily say Shearer's first touch is better than Drogba's, no contest, and Shearer also had more subtletly in what he was able to achieve whereas Drogba is more about brute force.

but that's not the point of what i'm saying - it's not the first touch that counts so much, but what you do with it. Shearer for blackburn was very much a goalscorer told to play down the middle, on the shoulder of the last defender, making runs to the near post, trying to find that half yard on the edge of the box for a quick shot etc. He did more than that just as RVN did for Man Utd and Madrid, and i'm not saying he was just some glorified poacher, but that kind of thing makes up the majority of what he was doing.

Drogba may not have the finesse but, and it could simply be down to the demands of the modern game and changing styles of play, he is asked to do a lot more than Shearer was when was in his early 20s. Drogba, in some ways, is also being asked to do what Sheringham and Sutton had to do, alongside scoring goals. he simply has to pop up in a wider variety of situations and different areas of the pitch.

also worth pointing out that Drogba's league goals to games ratio last season betters anything Shearer did in a single season.  :fishing:

Guest firetotheworks

Drogba's more rounded in his overall game imo, but for doing your job I'd have Shearer.

Once again, I have to disagree with this. Especially when you look at Shearer in his first season for us.

Skill.

Skill.

I wouldn't say that makes him more rounded though.

Guest firetotheworks

Skill.

I wouldn't say that makes him more rounded though.

It's an attribute to his game that Shearer wasn't anywhere near as good at. Everything else they're pretty close, but Shearer's vital statistics were better than Drogba's, and that's why I've chosen Shearer.