Shearer night on Five Live

Wallace

Comments about the NUFC job all over the news sites already and presumably tomorrow's newspapers.

I've listened to his comments and he is extremely vague. There are a lot of gaps in his story which for whatever reason he was reluctant to fill. He hints that he was offered the job and then they changed their minds without telling him, and inevitably that's the story that the papers will run with.

IIRC he said in public at the time that he had given the ownership his blueprint of what was needed to restore the club to good health, and which were effectively his conditions for becoming the manager. Ashley didn't take that up, and instead put the club on the market. I don't recall any kind of hint or rumour that he'd been offered the permanent job.

Comments about the NUFC job all over the news sites already and presumably tomorrow's newspapers.

I've listened to his comments and he is extremely vague. There are a lot of gaps in his story which for whatever reason he was reluctant to fill. He hints that he was offered the job and then they changed their minds without telling him, and inevitably that's the story that the papers will run with.

IIRC he said in public at the time that he had given the ownership his blueprint of what was needed to restore the club to good health, and which were effectively his conditions for becoming the manager. Ashley didn't take that up, and instead put the club on the market. I don't recall any kind of hint or rumour that he'd been offered the permanent job.

I doubt very much that Shearer is bullshitting, his treatment was shocking and beyond excuse.

I didn't think I was being at all controversial in calling his account vague. 'I thought I had the job' can mean anything. Who are 'the appropriate people'? Who is the 'someone' who he spoke to the second time? We're not exactly being flooded with significant detail.

There does seem to be this syndrome where anything Shearer or Keegan come out with is treated as holy writ. They are as capable as anyone of spinning an account to put themselves in a good light.

What a load of bollocks. He didn't slag the 'appropriate people' off by name because he has a fucking modicum of class. Oh and if you actually look at the posts in this thread you'll see people agreeing it was hugely disrespectful regardless of Shearer's status with the fans.

How does it put him in a good light to say this anyway? I suggest you take a look at Ashley's comments about him after we were relegated if you think he's bigging himself up. I guess Shearer must have hacked the official site and posted that statement himself. Probably took tips from Keegan.