Shearer night on Five Live

Wallace

Listening now, good stuff.

Says Souness had Bellamy up against the wall, then admits he's like to have done the same himself. :lol:

Wasn't he ready to patch things up with Bellamy at the time but he went on loan to Celtic and started sending texts to him about his daughter who was 13 or something at the time?

I always thought it was public knowledge that he had discussed what he thought was required and walked away thinking he had the job and never heard from them again.  Maybe I heard it at a previous talk-in.

Very cowardly of Ashley and Llambias but not surprising.  There is nothing wrong in changing your mind but at least have the decency to let Shearer know and the reasons why.  They do seem to shy away from direct contact with people.

Guest neesy111

Listening now, good stuff.

Says Souness had Bellamy up against the wall, then admits he's like to have done the same himself. :lol:

That souness thing about Bellamy was pretty wild rumour, I've known about it since 2005.  Nice to know it was true.

Bellamy should of got souness sacked by constructive dismissal tbh.

I always thought it was public knowledge that he had discussed what he thought was required and walked away thinking he had the job and never heard from them again.  Maybe I heard it at a previous talk-in.

Very cowardly of Ashley and Llambias but not surprising.  There is nothing wrong in changing your mind but at least have the decency to let Shearer know and the reasons why.  They do seem to shy away from direct contact with people.

He had hinted at that before, but he's never said as explicitly that he had 'things agreed' etc etc and then heard sweet fa. I think it was assumed they'd told him thanks but no thanks.. but obviously not. wankers

Let's get this in context. Shearer was only prepared to accept the job if certain conditions were met in terms of Ashley investing in the club. Ashley wasn't prepared to meet those conditions. If he'd appointed a different permanent manager at that point we'd have had another revolt in support of the fans' favourite. Understandably, Ashley didn't want to go through that again, and put the club up for sale.

If it had been a quick sale to someone who was prepared to meet Shearer's conditions then all could have been settled. As it was, Shearer couldn't be appointed at a point when a change of ownership was in the offing, and the club made do with a caretaker. By the time any prospect of a sale had faded, things had moved on and Hughton was the best candidate.

Shearer has tried to make all that look like Ashley offered him the job and then changed his mind without telling him, but that just doesn't stand up. 'I thought I had the job and then I didn't hear anything' doesn't actually contradict the events as outlined, but is very misleading.

Guest neesy111

Let's get this in context. Shearer was only prepared to accept the job if certain conditions were met in terms of Ashley investing in the club. Ashley wasn't prepared to meet those conditions. If he'd appointed a different permanent manager at that point we'd have had another revolt in support of the fans' favourite. Understandably, Ashley didn't want to go through that again, and put the club up for sale.

If it had been a quick sale to someone who was prepared to meet Shearer's conditions then all could have been settled. As it was, Shearer couldn't be appointed at a point when a change of ownership was in the offing, and the club made do with a caretaker. By the time any prospect of a sale had faded, things had moved on and Hughton was the best candidate.

Shearer has tried to make all that look like Ashley offered him the job and then changed his mind without telling him, but that just doesn't stand up. 'I thought I had the job and then I didn't hear anything' doesn't actually contradict the events as outlined, but is very misleading.

No, Hughton was the only candidate.

Guest johnson293

I liked when the woman asked him about the bet (shown on TV) at the end of the Villa match - turns out he had Carroll as last scorer (nowt as spectacular as predicting the scoreline and/or the hattrick), and he won £120 for it.

She said to him "You looked like you needed it!"  ;D

"Bringing Alan Shearer back to Newcastle United was the best decision I have made," said Ashley.

"Alan and his staff did all they could to try and keep us up in the short space of time they had.

"Talks are now ongoing between us about how we can take this club forward again."

"We want him to be the manager 110%," he said.

"He's very good at what he does and he's a straight-talking guy - we like that. He would be the perfect appointment.

"We are trying to sort something and we will give the public some information as soon as possible.

"Alan has put a lot of work into the job at Newcastle and we are talking to him now."

"Bringing Alan Shearer back to Newcastle United was the best decision I have made," said Ashley.

"Alan and his staff did all they could to try and keep us up in the short space of time they had.

"Talks are now ongoing between us about how we can take this club forward again."

"He's very good at what he does and he's a straight-talking guy - we like that. He would be the perfect appointment.

"We are trying to sort something and we will give the public some information as soon as possible.

"Alan has put a lot of work into the job at Newcastle and we are talking to him now."

Over to you Cronky.  :angel:

Over to you Cronky.   :angel:

No-one's said that they didn't want him to carry on. However, that quote makes it very clear that negotiations were still going on at the time, and that no agreement had been reached. The stumbling block was the conditions that Shearer was asking for. Or Ashley's reluctance to meet those conditions, depending on how you want to see it.

No-one's said that they didn't want him to carry on. However, that quote makes it very clear that negotiations were still going on at the time, and that no agreement had been reached. The stumbling block was the conditions that Shearer was asking for. Or Ashley's reluctance to meet those conditions, depending on how you want to see it.

Not giving him the job isn't a major issue, the treatment of him by not even having the decency to tell him is shit and beyond excuse.  He didn't deserve to be left waiting for a phone call to tell him the job wasn't his.  Shearer took the job on originally to help them and the club out and was left lookiing like an idiot.

Loving the assumptions you make..

1)  There would have been a fans' revolt if anyone else had been appointed;

2)  Ashley put the club up for sale because he couldn't cope with another hypothetical fans' revolt (?!?!?!)

That's just comical reasoning.

Not calling Shearer was undoubtedly shabby behaviour.

Not appointing Shearer was undoubtedly the right decision.

Nobody knows if that's the case or not, it's impossible to know.

Hard to see how he could have done better than Hughton last season. And his eight games in charge didn't bode that well, did they?

And after the whole Keegan thing, I don't blame Ashley at all for not wanting to appoint another Toon icon with big spending demands.

I'd love to see what conditions Shearer was asking for, though. Pity he didn't spill the details about that.