Shay Given (now retired)

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What a sad, bitter bunch of Mackems we sound like when we can't appreciate a player's decade-plus mostly outstanding service for obssessing about him losing the will at a club which had just appointed Joe f**king Kinnear.

To see some older posters - who have seen countless crocks of sh*te  and shameless mercenaries take this club for a real ride over the years - destroying Given is particularly sad.

I appreciate what Given did for us, but I think the way he left was always going to taint his legacy to a certain degree.  I don't think he is helped by the fact that he seemed to have a propensity to sulk/ask for a transfer when he was dropped.

Guest bimpy474

He definitely did it another time when Sir Bobby was here, he didn't get straight back in after injury because Harps was playing well and had a tantrum about it.

City would've just gone for a different keeper, man.

yip. I don't even mind the timing of it. he has to do whats best for his career aswell as any loyalty to us so I don't blame him wanting a move, it's the manner of it that narks. he's getting a good move out of it, why fucak about in order to get the extra cash (unless someone can come up with a decent expanation why he wouldn't put in a transfer request at first ie when his solicitor made the statement and he got 'injured' ?)

He did that once. :lol:

He did it at least twice before walking out on us.

No.

He defintiely did it another time when Sir Bobby was here, he didn't get straight back in after injury because Harps was playing well and had a tantrum about it.

Did what another time? He threw his toys out of the pram once when dropped under Bobby. He wasn't dropped after that and left almost 10 years later.

Can't believe the given hate in here tbh. Not sure what people expected off him, gave us years of good service and left for a team with CL/PL aspirations. Mad

Mad? No. I have a lot of great memories of Shay, but I'm not going to defend him against people who feel let down by his actions.

Tbh it's arguably more mad that you seem to show more loyalty to a player who demanded a transfer at a godawful time for us (and not for the first time), and whatever the other factors, almost certainly helped seal our fate that season. Nor does it matter much to many people (I'd suspect) that you think he went to a better club.

:lol: alreet mate.  When did I say it mattered to other people about city? Also at the present time and that time they were/are more aspirational. It's a discussion board, merely putting my point across. Calm down

Heh, sorry. Just my opinion like. O0

Opening a massive can of whoop ass worms here, but for those saying he left at a crap time, should have stayed, would have made the difference between staying up and relegation...was it any worse to Keegan leaving? Those same criteria could all apply to him yet it's accepted he was in the right.

Can't remember us being in the s*** just before Keegan left.

That's my point.

It's my firm belief he had a deal sorted with City in advance of him finally deciding it was time to desert.

Judas of the highest order.

If he was Judas of the highest order he would have left long before he did.... i don't blame him for leaving when he did at all.

It left a bitter taste in my mouth at the time but you can see why he did it.... City was a team going forward and we were only going one way and that was backwards.

If he wanted to just grab the money he would have left years before but he didn't.... i don't have anymore resentment towards him than i do anybody else who left at that time or the couple of years that proceeded it.

Good luck to him.

Guest bimpy474

He did that once. :lol:

He did it at least twice before walking out on us.

No.

He defintiely did it another time when Sir Bobby was here, he didn't get straight back in after injury because Harps was playing well and had a tantrum about it.

Did what another time? He threw his toys out of the pram once when dropped under Bobby. He wasn't dropped after that and left almost 10 years later.

I meant got all tarty about being dropped, to go with wanting to leave when he did go......wasn't really following the rest of the conversation to be honest. Still aren't really :lol:

Opening a massive can of whoop ass worms here, but for those saying he left at a crap time, should have stayed, would have made the difference between staying up and relegation...was it any worse to Keegan leaving? Those same criteria could all apply to him yet it's accepted he was in the right.

not getting the comparison, keegan left on principle, given left for more money

if given had left 'cause he couldn't work with the manager or coaching staff you'd have a point, but he didn't

I still think that was a major factor for Given too though. He'd stayed through shit (Souness, Roeder, Allardyce) when he could have moved. I imagine if Keegan stayed he'd not have been in such a hurry to leave. We were looking a decent side even under that regime and Keegan. He could have left long before he did, and then all of a sudden by January he was playing for Kinnear in a relegation threatened team. I'd have left in those circumstances if City were calling.

Based on total conjecture as per.

how on earth do we know he was motivated by cash? I'm sure his head could've been turned a hundred times during his 2001-06 prime. There are frankly so many reasons an almost 33-year-old keeper would've left NUFC for MCFC at that point cash would probably be an afterthought to even the most ardent mercenary.

Based on total conjecture as per.

how on earth do we know he was motivated by cash? I'm sure his head could've been turned a hundred times during his 2001-06 prime. There are frankly so many reasons an almost 33-year-old keeper would've left NUFC for MCFC at that point cash would probably be an afterthought to even the most ardent mercenary.

yes, there's a lot of conjecture on your part, it's true but don't beat yourself up over it