Shay Given (now retired)

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

Favourite doesn't mean best either. I'd have Ben Arfa and Ginola ahead of Solano and Robert in terms of enjoyment, but that doesn't mean that I think they were better for us.

Fair enough, I still reckon Ben Arfa is the most gifted of the three, and if he worked as hard as the Given & Shearer did to reach their potential he would have been a world class player, alas he's 'wasted' his talent through non-application and an unprofessional attitude.

I take it you haven heard the story of when Shearer outskilled Ginola the lashes the ball into the top corner and said he doesn’t need to use those skills.

Shearer was clearly 1000 times more gifted than HBA

Guest firetotheworks

Fair enough, I still reckon Ben Arfa is the most gifted of the three, and if he worked as hard as the Given & Shearer did to reach their potential he would have been a world class player, alas he's 'wasted' his talent through non-application and an unprofessional attitude.

I take it you haven heard the story of when Shearer outskilled Ginola the lashes the ball into the top corner and said he doesn’t need to use those skills.

Fuck off. :lol:

I worship Big Al as the next toon fan, but HBA is football personified. Magic. That feeling of unadultarated lust you feel at 1:59AM before last call for whomever is in the vicinity.

I worship Big Al as the next toon fan, but HBA is football personified. Magic. That feeling of unadultarated lust you feel at 1:59AM before last call for whomever is in the vicinity.

What codswallop.

Shearer was in 1996 clearly amongst the top 3 most talented players in the world.

Ben Arfa has never even broken the top 100

f*** off. :lol:

:lol:

If talent alone was the most decisive factor in football, then we wouldn't have cloggers like Cattermole and Colback.

Clearly talent mean fuck all (unless, when you retire, play beach football or something like that) if you're not smart when working hard on honing your attributes.

Great achievements or great ability is mostly down to determination, hard and smart work, knowledge, persistence, etc. I'd say talent is only about 10-20%.

Hence why someone like HBA failed in realising his potential.  Because he certainly didn't come across as hard working, smart or determined.

Guest Howaythetoon

The story about Shearer doing amazing tricks with a ball is true, Ginola and Asprilla couldn’t believe it. Apparently after doing his tricks he hoofed the ball have it Peter Kay style then walked off into the sunset whistling Blaydon Races.

Very reductionist way of looking at it. It's myriad factors. I doubt Cattermole is smart (smashed up cars in a city centre) Determined or hard working. The fact is there wont be players like him getting scouted now, he's a relic of a forgotten era. There will eb numerous hard working talented players that were overlooked by poor scouting, opportunity, parental factors, socio economic factors.

It's not as simple as work hard and you'll get there. Not at all.

Eh? All I was saying is that talent alone is, most of the time, not enough to accomplish your achievements. I was simply linking the most two "dominating" factors in general, which are talent and the mental attributes that I mentioned.

I fully realise that there are other variables that would prevent someone reaching their potential, but did you really expect me to name all of them??!

If anything, it's the HBA fanboys/cryboys club members that always go on about the one thing, his talent, but rarely mention about the other factors that fucked up his career here. (Apart from Pardew, of course.)

Solano's probably my favourite and I still to this day couldn't tell you why.

Because he was an absolute joy to watch. Ginola/Gascoigne/Beardsley, with the ball; Speed/Watson/Clark, without. First time I saw him play (reserves, high-up in an empty SJP) I was breathless (not just from climb). His range of passing—to perceive the space/chance and to be able to execute the pass—just exquisite. Plus he  always seemed so humble and fuck me, the fella could sweat!!

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

i knew a small number slated him for leaving but for me  he had nowt to apologise for.

but watching that interview during our takeover and also watching him barely able to stop smiling on amazon prime, desperate to hug eddie etc.....this lad is truly one of us and a true legend.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

i knew a small number slated him for leaving but for me  he had nowt to apologise for.

but watching that interview during our takeover and also watching him barely able to stop smiling on amazon prime, desperate to hug eddie etc.....this lad is truly one of us and a true legend.

One of the very first victims of Mike Ashley’s New World Disorder.

Aye, yesterday's coverage was an absolute joy because of him. Probably unbearable for the neutrals, or Leicester fans, but fuck it.

He saw the writing on the wall when he left and won an FA Cup with Man City. Can't knock him.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

I think the ownership of Ashley had clouded a lot of peoples views at the time.  Ashley wasn't willing to run NUFC the same way as previous owners or how football clubs in general were being "run".   As I understand it, a club came in for Given and offered XYZ, Ashley and his "management team" wouldn't match it with a new contract and told him to put a transfer request in if he wanted that kind of money. 

Forced Given's hand and he moved for pennies in my opinion.

Look at all the club legends and players the Ashley era had messed about or pissed off.