Collymore blasts lazy MOTD pundits

Guest BooBoo

X-Players who work on highlights shows (Football First/MOTD/Goals On Sunday) are not there to give indepth knowledge of where players are coming from they are there to provide a summary of a game & all the shows I have listed provide that.

If your after your something a bit more in depth then the Last Word is the nearest your going to get.

Whether it's Shearer's job to know this is a different matter, but I don't think it's realistic to expect each football pundit to do a load of research on every signing a Premiership club makes.  Even if they do do some research, it would only be research of a fairly superficial kind - anything more can't be gleaned from a few wiki articles and youtube clips.  Which is pretty much the sum of the knowledge of the majority of people on here, bar French league enthuasists.

Why shouldn't Shearer be expected to do a bit of research?

When the Toon played Ferencváros in 1996, a friend of mine -- a then Budapest-based Reuters football correspondent -- was introduced to John Motson before the match, and was impressed that Motson was immediately full of questions -- how should he pronounce this or that player's name, questions about the club's history and its fans. He pulled out a notebook and was scribbling down the answers.

That's professionalism. It's not good enough to just turn up and talk any old shite. Shearer's supposed to be some kind of expert.

As he himself claimed in those embarrassing adverts towards the start of the season.  "And join me, for expert analysis on the weekend's games," sigh.

Whether it's Shearer's job to know this is a different matter, but I don't think it's realistic to expect each football pundit to do a load of research on every signing a Premiership club makes.  Even if they do do some research, it would only be research of a fairly superficial kind - anything more can't be gleaned from a few wiki articles and youtube clips.  Which is pretty much the sum of the knowledge of the majority of people on here, bar French league enthuasists.

When the Toon played Ferencváros in 1996, a friend of mine -- a then Budapest-based Reuters football correspondent -- was introduced to John Motson before the match, and was impressed that Motson was immediately full of questions -- how should he pronounce this or that player's name, questions about the club's history and its fans. He pulled out a notebook and was scribbling down the answers.

That's professionalism. It's not good enough to just turn up and talk any old s****. Shearer's supposed to be some kind of expert.

I watched last night and couldn't help but notice how asinine most of what he says is.  It's as if their research comprises reading the papers for different ways to state the obvious.

Agreed. I think he's probably not actually that bright.

We get it you dont like Shearer .

Guest elbee909

That's professionalism. It's not good enough to just turn up and talk any old s****. Shearer's supposed to be some kind of expert.

I watched last night and couldn't help but notice how asinine most of what he says is.  It's as if their research comprises reading the papers for different ways to state the obvious.

I think he absolutely can contribute but MOTD are lacking someone who can harness the insight from his experience as a player and pose the right questions.

You think he's some kind of mental genius? :lol:

You think he's some kind of mental genius? :lol:

I am not sure if he is or is not a "mental genius" but I do know you dislike him with a passion.

• 11 months later...

He did name his all time Top English teams today. We are 8th.....

Points awarded for each tournamnet victory(based on level of difficulty,how many games to win) to follow. 10 points CL/EC,9 Points 1st Div/Prem win,8pts UEFA Cup win,5 pts UEFA CWC win,4pts FA Cup win,2pts League Cup win. 15th Leeds,14th Forest,joint 12th Wolves/Man City,11th Sheff Wed,10th Blackburn,8th Newcastle,8th Sunderland,7th Chelsea,6th Spurs 5th Everton,4th Villa,3rd Arsenal,2nd United,1st Liverpool...

Any thoughts?

Almost week on week pundits say they don't know anything about a player, when if they'd worked out who they were going to talk about they could just do a quick google before MotD, but knowing about football is apparently asking too much for TV pundits.

Like the guy who said Mertesacker was no good for Real Madrid, not realising Mertesacker has never played for Real Madrid. And the one who said all Bundesliga teams play in the same style, and people who go on about Gareth Barry as a "top top" player...

He did name his all time Top English teams today. We are 8th.....

Points awarded for each tournamnet victory(based on level of difficulty,how many games to win) to follow. 10 points CL/EC,9 Points 1st Div/Prem win,8pts UEFA Cup win,5 pts UEFA CWC win,4pts FA Cup win,2pts League Cup win. 15th Leeds,14th Forest,joint 12th Wolves/Man City,11th Sheff Wed,10th Blackburn,8th Newcastle,8th Sunderland,7th Chelsea,6th Spurs 5th Everton,4th Villa,3rd Arsenal,2nd United,1st Liverpool...

Any thoughts?

Anyone on here watch the ESPN Press Pass panel program? I seem to find it far more entertaining to watch for football debate than MOTD. Just watch MOTD for the highlights really as I don't have Sky Sports.

It makes a refreshing change from the top 4 on Talksport when Collywobble is on, its the top 4 plus any team he's played for.

His basis for the top teams is too black and white really (excuse the terminolgy there). Yes Forest have won one league championship and 2 European Cups, but that was over a 3 season period (in which they finished 5th in the 3rd season). To me that suggests a great team, not a great club.

He also did my tits in the other week when he was ranting about not diving, I remember Collymore playing and OK he may not have dived, but he cheated in other ways by over using his strength etc. Again, he picks on one point and ignores everything else.