Collymore blasts lazy MOTD pundits

Guest BooBoo

Stan Collymore has just been on talksport following a Twitter tirade against the laziness of pundits on Match of the Day. He drew specific reference to Alan Shearer claiming Ben Arfa was an unknown and that game in the World Cup where the Beeb sofa chuckled at not knowing anything about Slovakia. Aren't these folk supposed to carry out a little bit of research, especially with the vast amount of easily accessible data off the net.

What do you think? Is MOTD a bag of old toss? Is Shearer a half hearted pundit? Usually I find Collymore an insufferable tit but to be honest in this one, I think he's got a point.

He's absolutely correct. Soccer Saturday goes into this same bracket: some absolutely abysmal punditry around at the moment. Barely a scrap of research seems to be conducted.

Or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough for good pundits.

Maybe true Messi but I'm glad at least someone has been publically critical. I think people will realise Talksport themselves come under this bracket. Standards generally are low at the moment, to me anyway. I don't 'get' anything from pundits on the whole. The vast majority come out with obvious, inane remarks.

Shearer is awful on MOTD but still better than Hansen and Lawrenson.

I've never understood why they were employed let alone given huge salaries.

The BBC is looking to prune it's costs and it could start with getting rid of the so called "pundits".

Cut their slavver out and we'd get an extra 15 minutes football to watch.

The line-up is just too consistent and has therefore got a bit complacent and stale. Perhaps they need to draw from a pool of 3 or 4 regular pundits plus several other guest pundits, make the pundit team work for the right to comment on the big matches.

Yes, shearer is a terrible pundit, I literally think he does no research on new players or from outside of uk. He normally points out the blatantly obvious and probably bases that on the couple of minutes clip they show. To be fair all the pundits are terrible but don't mind Gary lineker hosting it.

Also don't know f anyone watched the full mackem game like me after toon game on the dodgy channels but they had the better of arsenal for large periods of that game, yet motd showed nothing of that and said arsenal were unlucky, I dislike Sunderland greatly but blatant favouritism of the top four, heaven forbid a lesser team play better than the skyboys!

I can't comment on the whole of Europe but in Italy at least you have to be knowledgeable to be a pundit, just being an ex-Pro is not enough. English punditry just seems very sparse outside of the Premier League.

Generally the better journos are the ones who know their stuff but they don't get punditry jobs. Martin Kelner, who features on Fighting Talk most weeks, is quite entertaining and knows his stuff. I don't always agree with him but I never think "christ, what a twat" when I disagree, there's usually a basis to his opinion which makes me understand it.

Having said that, Shearer, Hansen, Lawro etc probably realise they're untouchable and stop putting the effort in.

He's absolutely correct. Soccer Saturday goes into this same bracket: some absolutely abysmal punditry around at the moment. Barely a scrap of research seems to be conducted.

At least they make fun of their crapness and have a joke with it, while the BBC are ten times worse and try to pass it off as supreme inside knowledge of football.

The line-up is just too consistent and has therefore got a bit complacent and stale. Perhaps they need to draw from a pool of 3 or 4 regular pundits plus several other guest pundits, make the pundit team work for the right to comment on the big matches.

Generally the better journos are the ones who know their stuff but they don't get punditry jobs. Martin Kelner, who features on Fighting Talk most weeks, is quite entertaining and knows his stuff. I don't always agree with him but I never think "christ, what a twat" when I disagree, there's usually a basis to his opinion which makes me understand it.

Having said that, Shearer, Hansen, Lawro etc probably realise they're untouchable and stop putting the effort in.

Interesting points about complacency. Also, I think there should be some more recognition of decent journalists, and perhaps more airtime given to them. Henry Winter springs to mind as one example.

At least they make fun of their crapness and have a joke with it, while the BBC are ten times worse and try to pass it off as supreme inside knowledge of football.

Oh it's still entertaining, yes, but pretty embarrassing regardless.

I also think there's too much of an emphasis on making all the pundits ex-pros. There'll be people who've never played or managed at the top level who could provide more of an insight, imo. Obviously you need some of them to be ex-pros because they'll know what situations in the game are like through experience and will be able to relate to it, but they don't all need to be.

Over here, I find most of the American football pundits pretty off the mark, but, when I see clips of pundits in England, they take it to a whole other level. At least people here are doing research, then making dumb opinions, where as most of them other there seem to be making dumb assertions with absolutely no research.

So who does he suggest? Andy Cole, Ian Wright and Teddy Sheringham.

Jesus.fucking.christ. Why does anyone listen to this idiot. Oh yeah, he's an ex footballer, funny that.

I wish we would just get rid of pundits in highlight shows all together. Just get on with it and show us the footie.

I don't care about Billy in wherever's email. For example in our game they showed stuff during the 'analysis' that they didn't show in the highlight reel. Just bung it all in please.

it's what happens when people get jobs based on name alone, which really is the sole reason the likes of shearer get such work. because most of these are old school british players you also see the irritating habit of overly criticising/laughing at foreigners, while blindly maintaining that the likes of Butt or Alan Smith are "top players". their outlook is so limited that when a player like ben arfa arrives they haven't got a clue about them. also, because some of them are still good friends with players or managers they can shy away of criticising them or their teams. the MOTD punditry and analysis in particular has become totally pointless which is a pity.

one decent pundit who tends to know his stuff is david pleat but he's not used in the studio, only alongside the commentator.