Collymore blasts lazy MOTD pundits

Guest BooBoo

I must admit that Shearers performance on MOTD Saturday was a bit poor when Ben Arfa was mentioned and also in the world cup (Fugazi) BUT I don't think it deserved a roasting by Collymore, after all he comes out with some proper poppycock sometimes!

he also hangs around carparks watching people shagging.

To be fair to him he only does that when he's not knocking women about.

Graham Taylor is excellent, as was David Pleat commentating on the our game with Villa. He knew everything about every player on the pitch, especially ours. I was stunned.

Shearer's about as good a pundit as he was a manager.

Pleat is underrated IMO. Talks sense but gets minor details like pronunciation wrong and has a shit voice so people go ape against him. His Guardian column is alreet n all.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

How Stan Collymore's name has any weight or credibility in it amazes me. If ever there was a case of the pot calling the kettle black this is it.

I read a good article the other day by Cascorino. He said that many of the ex-pros who become pundits are too pally with the players and are wary of offending them.

It's noticeable that pundits tend to go for the easier targets like foreign players and referees. Journalists - who rarely seem to be ex-pros -find it easier to be more widespread and forthright in their comments.

Unlike say cricket and rugby, where a lot of the journos are ex-pros, in football you have a divide between the two. I don't think the pros like to share a platform with journalists, who they tend to look down on, or feel threatened by. The journos are nearly always in the role of interviewers, rather than fellow experts.

Cascarino is the only one I can think of who combines the inside knowledge of a pro with the forthright quality of a journo. We could do with more.

Football Ramble is great. If I owned a TV network I'd make that into a TV show, and make an equivalent of the Sunday Supplement but with Marcotti, Sid Lowe, Honigstein etc.

The best mainstream punditry team is Sky's Champions League (sans Redknapp) because Souness and Gullit at least know what they're talking about.

Completely agree their knowledge is top notch on a European night. Compare that with ITV's offering of Townsend and Southgate...

For me, it should be an absolute bare minimum for pundits, whether they be on MOTD, Soccer Saturday or Talksport to watch every single live game televised in the UK each week. So that includes all of the foreign games on ESPN too. Im not asking that they watch every game live but they must at least watch them at some point over the course of a week. They are getting extortionate amounts of money for turning up for a few hours a week having done fuck all research. Its an absolute joke, it really is.

I want to include the 'three legends' on Real Radio in this too because they are perhaps the most embarrassing of the lot.

They just watch the days games and waffle on and thats it.  They offer nothing  on the inside that we dont already know. 

And that goes for 99% of them.

What gets me is the same old tired bollocks that they spout "newcastle fans would rather lose 4-3 then win 1-0"  Yeah i was pretty fucking disgusted with our result v Everton. 

Collymore who was spouting on Sunday that O'Shea had to walk as he was last man?

Quinn who was saying the whole of Pakistan should be kicked out of cricket as a couple of players were dodgy - wonder if he thought the same when Grobbelar was doing the same at Liverpool?

Cascarino who knew nothing of Marseilles transfers when speaking as an expert on them when the Champs League draw was made?

Anything Brasil says in the morning

All of the pundits claiming Redknapp to be the second coming.

Yeah like anyone at Talksport can talk (excuse the pun)

Collymore works at Talksport where extreme crap is said about football on daily basis so people text & ring in.

As for MOTD (a show that is about showing games & talking about them games) pundits they comment in a brief summary style about them games that's it, are people expecting more :facepalm:. Soccer Saturday gives their monitor watchers such as Tiss, Merse, Charlie & Big nose media packs for the game they are watching.

Whats next Chris Kamara is too pally with guests on Goals On Sunday.

Collymore works at Talksport where extreme crap is said about football on daily basis so people text & ring in.

As for MOTD (a show that is about showing games & talking about them games) pundits they comment in a brief summary style about them games that's it, are people expecting more :facepalm:. Soccer Saturday gives their monitor watchers such as Tiss, Merse, Charlie & Big nose media packs for the game they are watching.

Whats next Chris Kamara is too pally with guests on Goals On Sunday.

i don't expect more from MOTD because it's been crap for ages. however it should be better, the current 'expert analysis' is totally pointless. with more extensive highlights on the likes of Sky, and more people able to watch live streams or on other channels MOTD is becoming sidelined and needs to rethink its approach. it needs to offer something special rather than lee dixon saying "good pass. good goal there. good player that nasri." it's just boring.

It is on BBC it is aiming at joe bloggs not your World Soccer subscriber. I don't even watch as regularly MOTD, I watch NUFC on football first if I have not seen the game earlier in the day & I don't hang around for the ginger lass & Scott Minto giving me 'expert analysis'. Then the following day I flick in out of Kammy, Ben Shepherd & whoever the guests are having a bit chew over some of the games. That does me. I get my fix of people being in depth (to silly levels at times) about NUFC on here.

The last time the BBC said anything critical about a team was when they criticised an England performance.  The FA were so pissed off with their criticism that they ignored the BBC's bid for the next set of qualifying games & handed the games to ITV.

Since then the BBC haven't had the balls to criticise teams in case the players and managers stop talking to them (like Sir Alex does & Redknapp did) or worse, the clubs get pissed off enough that the BBC lose the highlights package.  Sky can criticise all they like as they're the only game in town, there's no one else to sell the games to right now but the highlights are a different matter with the BBC, ITV and Five all bidding for the rights.

The line-up is just too consistent and has therefore got a bit complacent and stale. Perhaps they need to draw from a pool of 3 or 4 regular pundits plus several other guest pundits, make the pundit team work for the right to comment on the big matches.

my sentiments exactly. They all seem too 'pally' and usualy just resort to cringeworthy attempts at humour instead of giving an honest/unbia review of the game.

This is an example of what you get on Talksport. Mike Graham (not Mike Parry as the title of the vid  and the photo suggests) says that he has no clue who Yaya Toure and David Silva are and a Man City fan rings up to roast him.

Brilliant that. Double Champions league winners and you've never heard of 'em. :D