Carling Cup fourth round - Arsenal (h) Pre-Match Thread

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The coaching staff/physios will know who really needs to be rested and who is carrying knocks, that's the main thing to remember. They'll have all of the fitness data and the reports to allow them to pick the strongest possible team to try and get through, without compromising any of our key players.

Personally, I'd stick with a second XI, and I do think that's what we will see - but it's incredibly difficult to predict what Hughton will play and how willing he is to risk some of our regulars.

Like others have said, it's just a total fucker that we've got the derby game immediately afterwards, otherwise I could see him being more inclined to go for it.

You have to think that R. Taylor, Perch, Smith, Guthrie, Routledge, Ranger and Lovenkrands will be starting, though, it just depends what he does around that.

It's strange that there are quite a few determined we play a weakened team, as the league is absolutely priority, yet wouldn't take 17th place right now. Weird.

It's not *just* the league though, it's the fact that it's Sunderland next - in the league.

Which one does Hughton come under more pressure for losing?

Also, we literally have two fit senior centre-backs. Even if he just gives them a half each (which could turn into 75 minutes+ for one of them given extra time) that's a hell of a risk to take ahead of the weekend.

Perch/Kadar looks terrible by comparison, but needs must.

It's strange that there are quite a few determined we play a weakened team, as the league is absolutely priority, yet wouldn't take 17th place right now. Weird.

It's not *just* the league though, it's the fact that it's Sunderland next - in the league.

There aren't that many other than you, that have mentioned it's because the Mackems are up next.

And why is it so unthinkable that we try to win two games in a week? That's my problem, why must there be a choice? I want us to go all out to beat Arsenal because I think it'll give the club a massive lift, but that doesn't mean I'm jeprodising the Sunderland game as a result. It's not silveware or survival.

You're jeopardising the fitness of the players, which is the key. We have very little strength in depth and our first XI isn't even that good.

It's just how much of a risk Hughton is willing to take, with Sunderland having a free midweek. What happens if we play our strongest XI on Wednesday and lose, say Enrique and Jonas to injury? Unlikely, of course, but he would be fucking pilloried if we then went and got turned over by the Mackems as well.

It's not as simple as saying "let's just go for it and hope for the best".

If we go out to Arsenal having fielded a weakened team and then go on to beat Sunderland, it's a fantastic week, if we beat Arsenal with a strong team and then lose to Sunderland it's not quite the same (although it's still canny to be so far on in the Carling Cup).

My ideal would be to show a strong piece of faith in the team that beat a decent Chelsea side 4-3 away (4-3 was generous to them, as well) and hope they respond in kind with another surprising win, then go and beat the Mackems with our usual league team. Might not happen, but that's the ideal scenario.

I really wouldn't bother starting Lovenkrands, I'd go for Xisco just because we know what Lovenkrands offers.

I would play both, although fitting them in effectively might be troublesome. Drop Lovenkrands for this and you're basically telling him he has no future. Same goes for Xisco, who I'd like to see given a final crack of the whip after his cameo appearances.

A lot of Hughton's thinking will also be about keeping his squad happy.

Guest Heneage

I really wouldn't bother starting Lovenkrands, I'd go for Xisco just because we know what Lovenkrands offers.

I would play both, although fitting them in effectively might be troublesome. Drop Lovenkrands for this and you're basically telling him he has no future. Same goes for Xisco, who I'd like to see given a final crack of the whip after his cameo appearances.

A lot of Hughton's thinking will also be about keeping his squad happy.

I know it's not ideal but it's the kind of message I'd want to send to Lovenkrands. :lol:

For me when we come to shift players he's after Smith and level with Perch for players that need to go.

Don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment, but it's not the way to do it, nor the time (probably).

We may still need Lovenkrands, Smith AND Perch (although hopefully not) between now and January (or the summer, depending on how we do things.)

Guest Heneage

Don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment, but it's not the way to do it, nor the time (probably).

We may still need Lovenkrands, Smith AND Perch (although hopefully not) between now and January (or the summer, depending on how we do things.)

I agree, but could it not easily be argued that by just giving him starts in the cup we are sending out a message of 'this is your position in the squad cup game player.' I'd far rather challenge him in training to show why he should be considered for the first team.

There aren't that many other than you, that have mentioned it's because the Mackems are up next.

And why is it so unthinkable that we try to win two games in a week? That's my problem, why must there be a choice? I want us to go all out to beat Arsenal because I think it'll give the club a massive lift, but that doesn't mean I'm jeprodising the Sunderland game as a result. It's not silveware or survival.

I can see your logic but it's risky, we could easily lose both games.

Arsenal are beatable but they are also capable of turning in a top performance. Let's not forget - they won the previous round 4-1 at White Hart Lane.

Ultimately I expect he'll compromise, one or two kids, mostly fringe players and a couple of first teamers, and hope that is strong enough at home to win. He will want his best players at 100% for the weekend because the mackems have no midweek game.

If Wolves pull off a surprise tonight and knock out Man Utd he will be under huge pressure to field a full strength team with an eye to knocking out the last remaining giant from the tournament and maybe going the whole way.

West ham were selling tickets for £15 adults £5 kids on saturday to get a full house for the televised game.

What are our lot thinking to charge £20 cheap seats for Arsenal and £40 quid 4 days later for televised games' The crowds will be crap.

Who can afford this when it is on the telly?

Guest Roger Kint

Wenger has already said he'll be fielding the strongest side he can. Wether that's true or not...

I would still expect Sky and the Red Tops to force the 'Wengers kids' tag as much as possible though.

Wenger has already said he'll be fielding the strongest side he can. Wether that's true or not...

I would still expect Sky and the Red Tops to force the 'Wengers kids' tag as much as possible though.

It is fucking joke now as a decent portion of them will be in there 20's or internationals.

The way I see it is that we have this match and then three whole days of recovery until the Mackem game then after that its a full week till Arsenal again. Should put out a strong team with perhaps one or two changes if Hughtons concerned about anybodies fitness.

Guest Roger Kint

It is f***ing joke now as a decent portion of them will be in there 20's or internationals.

The team v Spurs in the last round were constantly referred to as 'kids' yet had Eboue, Kocseilny, Nasri, Rosicky, Djourou and Denilson with Arshavin, Chamakh, Almunia, Sagna & Clichy on the bench. Even Fabianski, Gibbs & Vela cant really be classed as kids given their international status. One thing is for sure any team he picks will have a fair few top players, hopefully the likes of Ferguson, Ranger, Vuckic etc go into this game with the same mindset as at Chelsea and it should be a good game for their development and to watch.