Carling Cup fourth round - Arsenal (h) Pre-Match Thread

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Krul

R. Taylor    S. Taylor    Kadar    Perch

Routledge    Guthrie    Smith    Ferguson

Ranger    Lovenkrands

Xisco, Vuckic and Best given runs at some stage if we can.

Also, if the highly ambitious inclusion of Steven Taylor is too soon for him, bring one of Coloccini/Williamson in. Ty and give them a half each, first and foremost.

Ideally I'd like to rest all of the outfield starting XI for next week, as the Mackems have a free midweek, but with Campbell injured it's difficult at centre-back unless Hughton fancies Perch in the middle, Ferguson back at LB and one of Vuckic/Xisco coming in.

What's wrong with Tavernier, injured?

Would be surprised to see him get a look in with the senior defenders we have fit, he's no more of a centre-half than Perch is really.

This selection is more what I'd expect to see than what I'd want to see, for the record.

If we've got a "development squad", and I'm glad we're looking at the reserves that way rather than as a kind of bin for players who don't quite make it, I definitely want to see them being developed. These League Cup games are the only opportunity to give our young bucks a run-out in a game that actually means something. And playing against Arsenal's second string gives them something to measure themselves against.

Be mad, though, if we play our inexperienced developers, and Arsenal come out with all guns blazing.

If fit, I'd like to see:

Krul

R.Taylor  S.Taylor  Campbell  Ferguson

Routledge  Guthrie  Smith  Ranger/Xisco

Ameobi  Loven

I'd like to see this:

Krul

Raylor  Campbell/Taylor Kadar Ferguson

Ranger  Smith  Guthrie  Xisco

Vuckic

Lovenkrands

Or have Vuckic as CM and Ranger/Lovenkrands upfront.

Also not really convinced with Shane Ferguson as LB, he worked really hard to put the performance he put against Chelsea, seems a much better LM imo.

I'd like to see this:

Krul

Raylor  Campbell/Taylor Kadar Ferguson

Ranger  Smith  Guthrie  Xisco

Vuckic

Lovenkrands

Or have Vuckic as CM and Ranger/Lovenkrands upfront.

Also not really convinced with Shane Ferguson as LB, he worked really hard to put the performance he put against Chelsea, seems a much better LM imo.

He played LB that game?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Krul

Simpson

S.Taylor *

Kadar

Raylor

Ranger

Smith

Guthrie

Ferguson

Lovenkrands

Xisco

Updated line up- Game time for Saylor, Simpson and Guthrie- rest big players. Now Ameobi's first choice with Carroll, we can't afford to use him in the cup.

Put it this way, Arsenal NEED to win something this season. And i think this is the competition they have the best chance in doing so, so we need be on our game for the 90 mins. I just watched the city game, yes city had 10 men, but Arsenal were class. However, the centre of defence looked a bit dodgey with through balls on the deck. Long balls in the air, they had every time.

Arsenal are taking the CC seriously this year. They'll start a few of their big names and coast to a 2-0 win, imo. We should start the same team that beat Chelsea away. Give a few of the kids a chance, play some of the seniors who haven't played enough and see how it goes.