Wayne Rooney

SEMTEX

Ferguson's arrogance makes me laugh. How he says Rooney said sorry to him and everyone and that Rooney knows he made a mistake and he's at the biggest club in the world.

He doesn't have to stay at the club he doesn't want to, yes they paid a s*** load of money for him and helped him develop into a world class player, however Rooney also played a massive part in their success winning the league and Champions League, it works both ways.

So are you saying Fergie (i.e the MANAGER of the club) should be bowing down to Rooney (merely a single player)?

Ferguson's arrogance makes me laugh. How he says Rooney said sorry to him and everyone and that Rooney knows he made a mistake and he's at the biggest club in the world.

He doesn't have to stay at the club he doesn't want to, yes they paid a s*** load of money for him and helped him develop into a world class player, however Rooney also played a massive part in their success winning the league and Champions League, it works both ways.

So are you saying Fergie (i.e the MANAGER of the club) should be bowing down to Rooney (merely a single player)?

Not at all, I just don't buy this all shit about them practically assuming he should be signing a 5 year deal and staying their forever because they're Manchester United.

The more times i see this pic the more i think Man utd should cash in on a series of Wheres Wayne? books

http://images.football.co.uk/Dynamic/Group/Source/0e3bea22afbff39053a5bf2422daf3b8.jpg

It's this kind of nerveless facing down of star names and pressure situations that has made Fergie the most successful manager of all time. He put everything on the line when he publicly told Rooney - okay, you say you definitely want to go, let's sort a move out. He forced him to step away from the games that his agent was trying to play with the club.

Let's give credit where it's due.

Manchester United either gave him the money he wanted or as I suspect he completely bottled it after the media/fan pressure.

I think the latter both sides come out bad in this and Rooney should keep his mouth shut but then again thick scouser

They've both totally bottled it, as simple as that.

A shame really, as it was a perfect opportunity for both sides to finally move on - Man U have relied too heavily upon him and Rooney's career is starting to faulter.

How a company in that much debt is allowed to offer an employee THAT much money is beyond me, should be fucking illegal.

It's their business how much they pay they employees. Man Utd isn't owned by a group of fans nor the state so what does the law have to do with how much they pay their employees?

It's high time a limit was put on wages. Not a cap on salaries, but a restriction on percentage of turnover that wages make up. If clubs want to pay someone £250k a week then that's up to them but they would have to be turning over enough to be able to do so. Alternatively they'd have to make cuts elsewhere - which in reality wouldn't happen if the top clubs want lots of good players as they would want parity. It would therefore ensure wages across the board are 'reasonable'.

It would fit quite nicely with the new rules on set numbers of homegrown players etc as well, and would be easy for the governing bodies to introduce (not having to worry about working out salary caps for different countries, tax calculations etc).

Just say professional football clubs can't spend more than 50% of turnover on wages and be fucking done with it.

Guest guinness_fiend

Someone at work yesterday suggested that Ferguson could have orchestrated the whole thing, on the basis that the only battle he cannot win is with the Glazers.  By having Rooney come out and publicly criticise the club's lack on ambition, it's put the spotlight on the owners.

Conspiracy theory-tastic, I know, but stranger things have happened.

It's high time a limit was put on wages. Not a cap on salaries, but a restriction on percentage of turnover that wages make up. If clubs want to pay someone £250k a week then that's up to them but they would have to be turning over enough to be able to do so. Alternatively they'd have to make cuts elsewhere - which in reality wouldn't happen if the top clubs want lots of good players as they would want parity. It would therefore ensure wages across the board are 'reasonable'.

It would fit quite nicely with the new rules on set numbers of homegrown players etc as well, and would be easy for the governing bodies to introduce (not having to worry about working out salary caps for different countries, tax calculations etc).

Just say professional football clubs can't spend more than 50% of turnover on wages and be fucking done with it.

That would just entrench the top four. How would small clubs ever be able to grow their revenue then if they can't compete for the best players and thus improve their squad? It'd also give a massive advantage to the clubs who already have a massive stadium as they would have a higher revenue base to start from.

Eliminate loans. It'd force clubs to downsize their squad and would spread the talent around the league. Then just wait a few years until the football bubble blows up (which it inevitable will since all the classic symptoms are there), at which point the well run clubs will be able to take advantage.

Guest Stephen927

Beckham and Ronaldo both signed deals just before they left. Ferguson has probably said to him give it another year, and see how many trophies they win and who they buy. Certainly can't see Ferguson making many big moves in the January window, so we could well see a late bidding war for Rooney late next summer. Probably getting ahead of myself there.

He doesn't have to stay at the club he doesn't want to, yes they paid a shit load of money for him and helped him develop into a world class player, however Rooney also played a massive part in their success winning the league and Champions League, it works both ways.

Taggart has every right to be arrogant tbf.

Just say professional football clubs can't spend more than 50% of turnover on wages and be f***ing done with it.

What is your objective though? I prefer allowing a club that pays in excess of its turnover to just go bankrupt Spending more than you earn is not sustainable for a country not for a club, let market forces dictate team's behavior.

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1323179/Piers-Morgan-Wayne-Rooneys-greedy-demands-spell-end-Sir-Alex-Ferguson.html

Great article, some hilarious metaphors

Wayne Rooney's greedy demands will spell the end of Fergie and his hairdryerLast updated at 11:56 PM on 23rd October 2010

Comments (0) Add to My Stories

First, a moment of considered, heartfelt, empathetic, contemplative, respectful silence for the unholy mess that Manchester United found themselves in last week. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Right, got that out of my system. Now let me be serious.

I’ve been predicting in this column for the last two years that the endgame for Sir Alex Ferguson’s empire at Old Trafford is upon us.

And the Wayne Rooney debacle has merely served to illustrate precisely why that indisputably glorious era is almost over.

Feeling the heat: Sir Alex Ferguson

When the school bully gets bullied into submission, he has to leave the school.

Ferguson has been one of the greatest managers the game has ever seen. But he has also been one of its most unpleasant. And anyone who doubts that should have seen the extended version of his second emotional press conference last week, when he suddenly turned on some poor unsuspecting journalist and spat vile abuse in his direction.

This is what Ferguson does to people. He bullies, he spits, he abuses, he disdains, he belittles. He’s a despot. And he has been fabulously successful at it. But then, so was Idi Amin for a while.

When it comes to class as a human being, he’s not in the same league as a Bobby Robson or Bobby Charlton. So I won’t be shedding too many tears for the old growler as he faces his humiliating final curtain. To do so would be rankly hypocritical — I don’t like him and he doesn’t like me.

Nor do I have a shred of sympathy for the position he found himself in with Rooney. Given he has treated players like downtrodden pieces of meat for decades, it has actually been quite funny watching one of them suddenly do the same to him.

I’ve got no truck with Rooney. I think his head has disappeared so far up his expansive Liverpudlian backside that it will now take extensive surgery to retrieve it.

We’ve seen a lot of greedy, mercenary behaviour by footballers in recent years. But Rooney beats them all. He spends the last six months playing like a one-legged disease-ridden armadillo, then has the gall to say he’s too good to play with the likes of Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes.

Wazza, a word in your shellsuit: you’re barely good enough to play with their bootstraps, you dumb little oik.

Then we come to his off-field behaviour, which has been even worse. The boozing, hookers, smoking, cursing and public urinating ... you name the idiot footballer cliche and Rooney has been doing it.

Yet rather than go down on bended knee and thank Sir Alex for standing by him, and protecting him, he stuck his arrogant chest out, called him a liar, slagged off the club and said he wanted out.

In a world of his own: Even by the tawdry standards set by modern footballers, Wayne Rooney's shameless self-aggrandisement has left a foul taste in the mouth

Horrible though this was, I can’t take the likes of Ian Holloway seriously when they hysterically raced to defend poor defenceless Fergie.

Do come off it ... this ‘victim’ has been bullying everyone else for the past 40 years. And when it comes to slagging people off, Ferguson is in a class of his own.

Watching him wipe the tears away as he revealed his broken heart the other day was priceless. It was like watching Simon Cowell weeping as he critiqued a useless singer. Stick to the Mr Nasty act, Sir Alex. It’s more convincing.

The reality of this situation was very simple. Managers used to have all the power and men like Sir Alex Ferguson used and abused it with impunity.

Big United stars like Beckham, Stam, Van Nistelrooy and Keane were beheaded humiliatingly when the gaffer decided they were getting too big for their boots.

And he barely gave them a backward glance as their heads rolled off out the back of the Stretford End. Now the players and their agents have the power. And ironically, it’s a Stretford who is going to be the End of Sir Alex.

Paul Stretford’s attitude is revolting. He is the absolute personification of everything that’s wrong with modern football. All he cares about is money and he’ll do whatever it takes to make him and his clients as rich as possible.

He clearly corrupted Rooney’s head and turned him into this grasping, hideous train-wreck of a human being with promises of untold oil-laden riches at Manchester City or wherever this hapless gravy train was hoping to rumble on to next.

The fact that they performed the biggest U-turn in world sport is almost certainly linked to the harsh reality that I suspect nobody actually fancied paying £200,000 a week for a player who hasn’t scored a goal in open play for his club since March 30 and whose performances in the World Cup made a lame donkey look mobile.

But Stretford and Rooney have played Ferguson like a pair of virtuoso fiddlers and abused their power no more shamelessly or enthusiastically than he has always done.

By letting them successfully do it, Ferguson has finally thrown in the towel. The old Sir Alex would have rather shot himself than let a player treat him the way Rooney has treated him this week.

It was the last grovelling action of a desperate man who had already let United sell their two best players in the last year — Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo, both at the height of their game.

And who then replaced them with severely pale imitations.

Regardless of Rooney’s decision to stay at Old Trafford, does anyone looking at this United squad genuinely believe they have a chance of winning the Premier League or Champions League in the next few years?

Scholes, Giggs and Neville will be gone next year. The youngsters are nothing special from what I’ve seen. The goalkeeper is too old and making big mistakes.

Losing their touch: Manchester United's invincible aura is evaporating faster than Paul Stretford's hopes of a sell-on fee. The Red Devils threw away a two-goal lead at Old Trafford last Saturday against West Brom, with 39-year-old keeper Edwin van der Sar culpable for the Baggies' equaliser

United fans blame the Glazers because the truth is too unpalatable to admit. But I blame the manager, nobody else. For the simple reason that Ferguson hasn’t said one word in public to criticise the club’s owners.

So we must assume he is, as he says, entirely happy with their stewardship of his club and that, again as he says, they have always given him the money to buy any player he likes.

Now, either Ferguson really believes this or he is only saying it because he doesn’t want to lose his job.

Either way, he has lost it. Because a Joey Barton-like simpleton with an IQ of 45 can see that the Glazers have run United into the financial ground. They’ve no cash, period. And if Ferguson was as proud of the history and heritage of United as he insisted this week, then he’d turn his infamous hairdryer right on to the Glazers.

But he won’t because, like all bullies, he prefers to bully people weaker than himself. And the Glazers have the power to fire him. The hairdryer has been turned off at the mains anyway.

This was the week that Britain’s supposedly toughest manager rolled over to greedy players and bullyboy agents.

As a result, Manchester United will win nothing this season and Sir Alex Ferguson will be gone next summer.

Because nobody is scared of either of them any more.