Colin Calderwood

Dave

Why Zola??

Because he's f***ing brilliant!

It's not our defensive play that needs work, it's our craft, creativity and guile that need serious polishing and Zola was one of the most gifted players the Premier League has seen, so I reckon he'd do a top job. He has all of his coaching badges, has managed in the Premier League and seems like a cracking bloke as well.

Must have missed this craft, creativity and guile at West Ham.

That actually strengthens my argument to be honest. He didn't do a great job as a manager but the players all seemed to love working with him. A coaching role might suit him better and he'd probably be more open to it given his relative failings at West Aaaaaaaaaa- aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

Guest Stephen927

Zola definitely suits being a coach than a manager. He had West Ham playing some good football but ultimately he had to sell players and wasn't given much money to play with (the signing of Savio was a decision taken above his head, I'm led to understand). Hasn't got much of a connection with the club or Hughton though so it's a bit of an unlikely one.

Why Zola??

It's not our defensive play that needs work, it's our craft, creativity and guile that need serious polishing and Zola was one of the most gifted players the Premier League has seen, so I reckon he'd do a top job. He has all of his coaching badges, has managed in the Premier League and seems like a cracking bloke as well.

That actually strengthens my argument to be honest. He didn't do a great job as a manager but the players all seemed to love working with him. A coaching role might suit him better and he'd probably be more open to it given his relative failings at West Aaaaaaaaaa- aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

That realy didn't strenghen your argument at all to be honest :lol:

Why Zola??

That realy didn't strenghen your argument at all to be honest :lol:

It was worth a try though

It's normally the sort of situation which the club fails to take advantage of. We could actually improve by bringing in someone who knows the club well and who has a decent pedigree like Clarke or Carver. We will most probably "promote from within" *shudder* and give the role to Beardsley.

I will be surprised if the club make ANY appointment before we play Sunderland...defeats in both the forthcoming games may have repercussions for the manager, so they are not going to appoint someone who they may have to sack a few weeks later.

If they DO bring someone from outside the club, then the message is that Hughton is fireproof....

What was that you were saying merlin? :nods:

Hughton will take time finding Calderwood replacement

Oct 20 2010 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United will not rush into making an appointment in their search for a new assistant manager as Chris Hughton considers a number of potential replacements.

A wide variety of names have been banded about, but it will be left up to Hughton to make the decision on who tops the wanted list.

Hughton met managing director Derek Llambias yesterday, although the search for a new assistant manager was not the only thing on the agenda given the events of the last few days.

Newcastle’s manager intends to ponder the issue over the next few days and will then make the board aware of his preferred choice.

Hughton already has an idea of who he would like to bring in, but he will not reveal their identity at this stage as he is not sure whether he can get them.

He said: “It will 100% be my decision because it has to be. He is going to be my assistant so it is important I know I can work with that person.

“I’m looking for someone I have worked with, or at least someone I know I could work with. It is a very important relationship and I’m going to think about it for a while.

“I’ve given myself a few days to think it over and then I’ll let the club know who I want. I hope we can get them, but you don’t know what barriers will be put in our way.

I have an idea of who I want to appoint, but I’ve not made a definite decision yet. We aren’t going to draw up a shortlist, I’ll just come up with the name and give it to the board. They’ll do the rest.”

Hughton was an assistant manager for more than a decade at Tottenham Hotspur and at Newcastle so he knows better than most what the job entails. And, in his mind, trust is paramount.

He explained: “As an assistant you have to get on with the manager and you have to be able to offer ideas to the manager as well.

“I want someone with good coaching ability, but also someone I can trust.

“I need someone who I know can deal with the players and who can look after them when he needs to.

“The modern manager is out on the training pitch every single day, but the training program is designed with the assistant so it is important they have good coaching ability.

“It will ultimately always be the manager’s decision, but you also want an assistant who comes up with ideas and who can discuss things with you on a match day. You need somebody to bounce ideas off.”

There has been strong support for former United number two Steve Clarke in some quarters but, although it would be premature to rule him out completely, he is not in Hughton’s thinking at this stage. Clarke is out of work after losing his job at West Ham when Gianfranco Zola was sacked as manager at the end of last season.

But he is well respected in the game after working in a similar role at Chelsea for several years.

Others have mentioned a possible promotion for former United legend Peter Beardsley, who was brought in this season to work with the reserve team. However, The Journal understands he is not in the running.

Steve Stone is a more likely internal candidate, although Clive Allen, who played with Hughton at Tottenham, is a possible candidate if willing to leave his present development coach position at White Hart Lane.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/10/20/hughton-will-take-time-finding-calderwood-replacement-61634-27506723/2/#ixzz12sr0jgpY