West Ham United 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 23/10/10 - post match reaction from p20

Dave

possibly been pointed out but just in case it hasn't, anyone got it sky plused or v plused take a close look at our winning goal, take a look at who is coming round at the back post in case the balls over hit ?

Spotted that too and asked if anyone at the ground had any idea why the f***er was there!! Nee c*** on here was forthcoming with a reply  :undecided:

If it was just a random foray forward then it was bloody good effort!!!!

Barton had some brilliant crosses but I wonder if he could keep doing it.  If he's marked tighter can he skin his man and still be able to deliver?

Jonas looks to be the only guy who is comfortable with the ball at his feet for an extended period of time.  I agree he hasn't shown a lot of end product but he does typically draw 1, 2 or 3 men into his area.  Even if he lays the ball back off to Enrique, Enrique can deliver a cross or play it on the deck to the middle.

We had no answer for Obinna early in the game and it looked like he was going to kill us.  Barton and Simpson looked unable to handle him.  And then, suddenly, it was like he was gone.  I couldn't tell if we defended him better or West Ham got away from using him.  Once Obinna was taken out of the equation, Williamson and Colo looked much better.  That combo is limited, though, and I think if we are to progress, they have to be upgraded.  Coloccini brings a lot to the table and he looks much more comfortable than he did a couple of years ago but he plays too small, IMO.

I was real disappointed in the way Shola played.  He just looked like he was always a step slow or a step behind everyone else.  When we play with two forwards, we have nothing to pair with Carroll.  Maybe Shola and/or Loven need a few more runouts before they get crossed off (again)

Was Colo if I am not mistaken... gets a gaol last week and it has gone to his head.. mind he would have got to that it Carroll had not.

Yup. Like a shark is wor Colo he senses them a mile away and wants in  :colo:

i didn't actually realise till re-watching it last night and thought he was bloody quick to get there to celebrate with carroll so rewound it to see if i could see where he was and bloddy hell if he wasn't where jonas, nolan or tiote should've been. i like it though,if someone else had backed off a little to be able to cover if need be, the way gary speed would often do for bernard to come through.

Was Colo if I am not mistaken... gets a gaol last week and it has gone to his head.. mind he would have got to that it Carroll had not.

i didn't actually realise till re-watching it last night and thought he was bloody quick to get there to celebrate with carroll so rewound it to see if i could see where he was and bloddy hell if he wasn't where jonas, nolan or tiote should've been. i like it though,if someone else had backed off a little to be able to cover if need be, the way gary speed would often do for bernard to come through.

:thup: very refreshing to see such commitment and effort from our own. A johnny foreigner no less

For some reason this season when we've been going 1-0 down i don't feel 'fuckshit we gon get bummed in the face', like i used to in the last few season up here. I got a lot more confidence in us fighting back.

It seems to be the only way that we can win.

After going behind, we seemed to wake up and knocked the ball about well IMO. Particularly impressed with Tiote, strong and composed. Simpson looked a more confident replacement for Perch, and i think it spread throughout the side.

Off the pitch, i witnessed some of the worst stewarding i've ever seen when they took that Toon fan out for seemingly getting over the boards at the front. For those that didn't see it, the stewards grabbed a lad to throw him out and his jeans fell down as it happened. Apart from not letting him pull his pants up, they then took him out of an exit in the West Ham end, despite having the whole stadium to choose from. As you can imagine the W Ham fans gave him some abuse and their fans in the upper tier joined in by throwing missiles towards us, to which some of our fans reacted and spilled towards the front of the away end. Now mabe the lad deserved to get thrown out, but no matter what you've done, you should be able to go out with your dignity intact. The stewards turned the atmosphere hostile, and caused more trouble than the offence they were dealing with.

Back to the game, and it's amazing the difference 3 points make. We're probably as close to the top 6 as the relegation zone.

:thup: very refreshing to see such commitment and effort from our own. A johnny foreigner no less

It's pretty obvious that Coloccini's been told by Hughton to get forward more. We saw it against City and Wigan, too.

Guest firetotheworks

Probably because he's one of our best passers and most intelligent players.

I'm not normally one to FYP, but it felt right.

Guest firetotheworks

Jose still, tbh.

I like that I find it hard to decide. This season and last it's been Colo for me, just.

Jose still, tbh.

I like that I find it hard to decide. This season and last it's been Colo for me, just.

Word for word.

He's as good on the ball as anyone in the squad, he should get forward whenever possible. He's got decent pace and stamina, so there's no reason he can't.

This is especially true now that we have a genuine DM that can assist back there. I don't know if Tiote really has the tactical feel or mentality to sit, but it would be useful to the team. If you look at the most successful teams in the world, the defenders have freedom to surge forward to vary the attack because the intelligent DM will pull back and cover their position. This would be a nice adjustment because our attack is really too blunt and obvious most of time, especially when it builds up slowly.

Guest firetotheworks

He's as good on the ball as anyone in the squad, he should get forward whenever possible. He's got decent pace and stamina, so there's no reason he can't.

This is especially true now that we have a genuine DM that can assist back there. I don't know if Tiote really has the tactical feel or mentality to sit, but it would be useful to the team. If you look at the most successful teams in the world, the defenders have freedom to surge forward to vary the attack because the intelligent DM will pull back and cover their position. This would be a nice adjustment because our attack is really too blunt and obvious most of time, especially when it builds up slowly.

Jose, to Jonas, to Jose.....back to Jonas, to Jose, back to Jonas, Jonas holds it, HOLDS IT, HOLDS IT!!!!

Before the goal, we had a corner which Colo was up in the area for. When West Ham tried to counter, Colo drifted out left as Jonas, Tiote and Simpson (I think) were already covering the middle. When Jonas regains the ball, Colo is still very far up the pitch (basically where Jonas would be) and he then joins the attack.