Good in the air

oldtype

The Korean commentators are normally completely clueless (still think Ben Arfa's first name is Ben and last name is Arfa  :angry:) but they made two very good points today.

One, we have absolutely no fear of giving Arsenal corners or free kicks that are reasonably far from the box because we know that their midgets have no chance whatsoever of winning a header against us. We've become staggeringly good at defending against set pieces: Carroll, Williamson, and even Colo are winning everything in the air.

Two, with Carroll's goal today we are now the leading scorer from set pieces in the entire Premier League. Carroll's obviously a monster in the box, and we've got enough big bodies alongside him (Willo, Shola, Colo) to completely saturate the opposing defence. Couple that with Barton's delivery and Nolan digging for second balls and we must be utterly terrifying to defend against from corners.

After our loss to Stoke I mentioned that we needed to figure out what our strength was and play in a way that maximized it, and obviously Hughton has figured it out. When we were relegated we were one of the smallest, softest, teams in the league. But slowly we've assembled a squad full of big monsters that will give any team a hard time.

So Howay Newcastle, the... new Stoke City?  :colo:

It was interesting. Every time they got a corner I felt perfectly assured nothing would come from it. Haven't felt like that in a long time.

Was a massive waste of time them trying to play a lofted ball into the box, was obvious after about 10 minutes.

It was interesting. Every time they got a corner I felt perfectly assured nothing would come from it. Haven't felt like that in a long time.

This, free-kicks were the only set piece that made me a tad nervous

Aye. But that's also because it was Arsenal.

I wouldn't feel that confident if we played Stoke or Blackburn.

Aye. But that's also because it was Arsenal.

I wouldn't feel that confident if we played Stoke or Blackburn.

Agreed, we looked shite at defending set pieces against Stoke tbf. Arsenal have the least aerial threat in the league.

Our only real defensive clangers this season have been aerial ones. There's a lot of height in our team and we certainly use it to our advantage from an attacking perspective (we haven't been this dangerous from corners since the Nobby days), but i still think it can be touched up from a defenive point of view. Especially when you consider Colo's strength in the air and Willo's height. Everton, Stoke and Wigan were all pretty poor at the back in the air, particularly the latter two.

But from an attacking point of view we're absolutely deadly.

Guest Tall Striker

Lets wait and see what Wednesday brings before getting carried away eh lads

This. If we lose the next two and we're looking over our shoulders again.

Enjoy this tonight though. Superb performance.

Every time we got a corner i knew that nothing would come from it.

It can't just be a coincidence that we've improved defensively since perch has been dropped

Simpson is light years ahead of Perch

It's been a long time since we were actually competent at set pieces, it feels good to not be shitting myself every time one is given against us.

And corners for are a million miles better than normal, we have so many targets in the box and Carroll is almost unplayable in there.

A big part of this is also the size of the team now... we've gone from being a team of piss-weak dwarves to one of the biggest and strongest sides around.

Guest Tall Striker

Andy Carroll is the best header of the ball in the league.

Tim Cahill would have something to say about that.

"Crikey o'reilly. These pommies sure can head the ball, ey Warnie" 

I've been thinking this lately. We've got quite a big, physical team these days. And I feel completely comfortable at set pieces, they've got the ability, and they're set out, clearly know their roles, and I don't recall a single set piece into the box that Arsenal won.