Newcastle United vs Blackburn Rovers 19:45 10/11/10 Pre-Match thread

joeyt

Jonny you're talking rubbish mate :lol: Another little subtle swipe at Barton too, I see - still prefer Guthrie? ;)

It's not rubbish - I'm just trying to keep my feet on the ground. Just because we've won three on the bounce doesn't mean we're now the best team in the world - the way people on this forum instantly swipe at you the second you dare even think about a bit of criticism would suggest some think we are.

Poor players don't become good players in the space of 2 weeks - I can't help but be hesitant.

I don't think people disagreeing with your proposed changes means they think we're the best team in the world - that's a pretty big leap, like! Don't know where you got that from.

Has it crossed your mind that your assumption about poor players becoming good players might be based on faulty initial assumptions? Even as a possibility, I mean?

Personally I've never believed in the concept of over-achieving - you're either able of performing to a certain level, or you're not. These players are clearly capable of playing very well in the system we're employing over a sustained period of time (270 minutes and counting) - there's nothing deceptive or misleading about it.

They may mistakes in the future, I'm sure they will in fact, but to then say they were playing above themselves seems irrational IMO.

Not really. It happens all the time. Do you think we're better than Arsenal? Because I don't, yet the result shows otherwise - if they weren't playing above themselves then we're a better side than Arsenal.

The FA Cup is a perfect example of it. Smaller teams beating bigger teams. They play out of their skin, fight for everything and get the upset. They're not good enough to play in teh higher leagues and if they did, they'd probably get beat every week. But for those games they play above themselves as footballers and get the result. I don't think it's irrational at all.

You're missing steps in your logic again - I didn't say that was the best Arsenal could play.

Are you tired? Step away from the forum and get a coffee man! :)

I guess we'll find out on Wednesday and Saturday then. See if we get a Sunderland performance, or a Stoke/Wigan one.

I'll be delighted if we win, but I'm not hopeful that this team can perform again so soon.

It'll surely be an unchanged XI. He will be considering that there are three games in a week but you have to take each game as it comes at this stage and try and get the win. If we do that will give confidence for the next game. Around Christmas time you have to juggle players as there are so many games but I don't think it's necessary now.

Same XI with early subs I reckon. Tired or injured players to be replaced for the Fulham game. It's all about keeping momentum.

Jonny you're talking rubbish mate :lol: Another little subtle swipe at Barton too, I see - still prefer Guthrie? ;)

It's not rubbish - I'm just trying to keep my feet on the ground. Just because we've won three on the bounce doesn't mean we're now the best team in the world - the way people on this forum instantly swipe at you the second you dare even think about a bit of criticism would suggest some think we are.

Poor players don't become good players in the space of 2 weeks - I can't help but be hesitant.

I don't think people disagreeing with your proposed changes means they think we're the best team in the world - that's a pretty big leap, like! Don't know where you got that from.

Has it crossed your mind that your assumption about poor players becoming good players might be based on faulty initial assumptions? Even as a possibility, I mean?

Personally I've never believed in the concept of over-achieving - you're either able of performing to a certain level, or you're not. These players are clearly capable of playing very well in the system we're employing over a sustained period of time (270 minutes and counting) - there's nothing deceptive or misleading about it.

They may mistakes in the future, I'm sure they will in fact, but to then say they were playing above themselves seems irrational IMO.

Not really. It happens all the time. Do you think we're better than Arsenal? Because I don't, yet the result shows otherwise - if they weren't playing above themselves then we're a better side than Arsenal.

The FA Cup is a perfect example of it. Smaller teams beating bigger teams. They play out of their skin, fight for everything and get the upset. They're not good enough to play in teh higher leagues and if they did, they'd probably get beat every week. But for those games they play above themselves as footballers and get the result. I don't think it's irrational at all.

You're missing steps in your logic again - I didn't say that was the best Arsenal could play.

Are you tired? Step away from the forum and get a coffee man! :)

I guess we'll find out on Wednesday and Saturday then. See if we get a Sunderland performance, or a Stoke/Wigan one.

I'll be delighted if we win, but I'm not hopeful that this team can perform again so soon.

hopefully blackburn have the same problem with lazy players :pow:

It'll surely be an unchanged XI. He will be considering that there are three games in a week but you have to take each game as it comes at this stage and try and get the win. If we do that will give confidence for the next game. Around Christmas time you have to juggle players as there are so many games but I don't think it's necessary now.

Same XI with early subs I reckon. Tired or injured players to be replaced for the Fulham game. It's all about keeping momentum.

spot on...end of discussion!

3 points against blackburn is still better than 2 draws!

FWIW Jonny, I've already said that I'm nervous about this one. Don't think Blackburns (read Allardyces) way of playing suits us at all and we might end up paying for it. If Samba has a good day, he can easily end up nullifying Carroll, which would put them in a good position.

However, if do lose or draw, I wouldn't say it's because we needed to rest players.

Nolan is the only one I can imagine might be struggling with his fitness. But unless he's absolutely knackered then you start him.

Barton and Jonas have always had tremendous engines, saw nothing on Sunday to make me think there might be an issue with either of them. Shola only started to actually get into the starting XI a couple of weeks ago, he should be grand as well.

If there's somebody on the team that you don't think can go for 60 minutes then you make some changes, yeah, but I really doubt that's the case.

The idea of resting CB's is so ridiculous I have to assume Apisith was on the wind-up. :lol:

:thup:

Same team please. I trust CH not to make any changes unless forced by injuries.

This next game could be very frustrating as we all know Fat Sams horrible tactics of 9 men behind the ball and try and nick one on the break.

I'll go for a  frustrating scrappy 1 - 0 win to us, Carroll or Nolan in the last few minutes.

Could be a good game for Nolan this one as can see us being camped in their half and the ball landing at his feet to poke home.

Same team please. I trust CH not to make any changes unless forced by injuries.

This next game could be very frustrating as we all know Fat Sams horrible tactics of 9 men behind the ball and try and nick one on the break.

I'll go for a  frustrating scrappy 1 - 0 win to us, Carroll or Nolan in the last few minutes.

Could be a good game for Nolan this one as can see us being camped in their half and the ball landing at his feet to poke home.

I agree with you there.  I think Samba will keep a close eye on Carroll and Nelson on Shola, so I think Nolan may nick the vital goal.

Krul

Simpson.     Colo.   Willy.   Enrique.

Barton.  Guthrie.    Tiote.    Jonas.

Carroll. McLoven

Ameobi. Nolan. Sodabread. Ranger. Taylor. Vuckic. Campbell.

Why do you want to change things?

Not too confident here. I think one of the reasons we've played so well is Carroll/Ameobi's size and absolutely dominating smaller defenders in the air. Going to be a bit more difficult against the big oafs in Blackburn's backline.

A winning team never gets tired.

Robson didn't even drop players when were in the champions league FFS

dont change the starting 11 unless we have to!

Why should we rest players....still early season and its not like we play in Europe either!

If players needs a rest now....then they need more physical trainning or to get sacked!

You're missing the point again.

This isn't an ordinary team in an ordinary season. Some of these players aren't good enough for the PL but they're playing above themselves and as a result, are putting more energy and workrate into performances. They'll burn out alot easier than a Robson team or us in the Championship etc.

Just out of interest, who in the current starting 11 isnt good enough for the Premier League?

Not necessarily not good enough, but i think Nolan, Simpson, Barton and Ameobi in particular are playing above themselves atm.

How exactly can you play above yourself?

A winning team never gets tired.

Robson didn't even drop players when were in the champions league FFS

dont change the starting 11 unless we have to!

Why should we rest players....still early season and its not like we play in Europe either!

If players needs a rest now....then they need more physical trainning or to get sacked!

You're missing the point again.

This isn't an ordinary team in an ordinary season. Some of these players aren't good enough for the PL but they're playing above themselves and as a result, are putting more energy and workrate into performances. They'll burn out alot easier than a Robson team or us in the Championship etc.

Just out of interest, who in the current starting 11 isnt good enough for the Premier League?

Not necessarily not good enough, but i think Nolan, Simpson, Barton and Ameobi in particular are playing above themselves atm.

How exactly can you play above yourself?

See Ameobi vs Barcelona, December 2002. Has never played that well ever again. Why can't he always play to that standard? Who knows?