This season's SJP atmosphere

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We're more eager and boo and get on the team's back then support them these days. Cringe worthy.

This.

I don't really see how booing a team can do them any good. There was some muppet sat a few rows behind me in LC on Saturday that was booing Danny Simpson quite a lot. Same idiot shouted "Shoot!" at one point when Tiote had the ball, he did shoot, then the guy started shouting grief for shooting. F**king tit.

Now I've never been one for "blaming the fans" or any of that shite and yes, it is give and take between the players and the supporters but in my opinion we must do more from the stands to try and get out of this rut at home.

The two games this season where the atmosphere has been electric, we have gone on and battered our opponents. We made it absolutely clear we wanted blood and wanted revenge against Villa and the mackems and we certainly got it, but then, particularly on Wednesday against Blackburn, the atmosphere was as flat as a pancake and we had not even had proper possession of the ball before Blackburn scored after two and a half minutes. I recognize the argument that the players have to get the team going but what more could they have done in the two games before Blackburn? Not much.

St James' Park can be a incredibly intimidating place to play when the crowd are up for it - sunderland mentally crumbled in the derby, you could see their young players panic in the face of the hostility when they got the ball and we need to do more of this for me. When we went to Stoke in the relegation season, the crowd was very hostile towards us when we had the ball and it was making our players panic in the same way, it makes it very difficult to settle in possession. Stoke's good home form isn't all about long throws, the crowd there are tremendous.

We still expect the team to turn up and roll teams like Blackburn, Fulham, Stoke over and it's not really on. We all know we have to get behind the lads when we play the big guns and sunderland but I think there's a sense of "they should be able to do it without our help" against the bottom half sides. We've been spoiled during our time in the Premier League but a newly promoted side, sitting in 5th at the time, getting a draw at home against a decent outfit like Fulham being booed off is out of order, so is getting on Shola's back when he miscontrolled one of his first touches on Wednesday night. It wouldn't happen on derby day.

I'm not naive enough to think the crowd are responsible for how the team does on the field, Man Utd don't win something every year because their support is better than anyone else's... but we can do more. We must shake off this mentality at home that we EXPECT to beat anybody. Hope yes, expect, we're not good enough for that and the team need all the help they can get.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Spot on mate

The booing on Saturday at the final whistle was pathetic, even the Blackburn game came off the back of three fantastic wins and the atmosphere was shit from the off.

We wait for something to cheer rather than just getting behind them straight away.

It's not just this season though - it's been like that for years now.

True. The atmosphere was more intense before the Leazes and Milburn were extended. There were some fantastic atmospheres in our first season in the PL. Home games against Sheff Wed, Liverpool, Man Utd, Villa and Arsenal linger in the memory.

Are people not in danger here of looking back on the past with rose tinted spectacles on?  You can't expect the atmosphere at every single match to be exceptional.  It never has been like that so I don't see any reason it should be now.

I absolutely love it when SJP is bouncing - utterly fantastic to behold and it does add an element to the match day and I do like the atmosphere that goes with away games.  But.. and I know I will get slated for this.. I am there fundamentally to watch the football, not to sit back and watch people sing.  I'd take a good performance and 3 points over a good atmosphere...

Who mentioned singing? I'm talking about making SJP an intimidating place for opposition players to come in order to help the team get the results you're talking about, which they're struggling with atm. Did you even read the OP?

As a kid the first time I went to SJP it was that electric atmosphere the noise that grabbed me, win lose or draw it was immense complete and utter support no matter what.

I remember getting slaughtered off West Ham one pissing down Wednesday night, Pedro ending up in goal it was horrific yet our nose did not dip everyone stayed.

That kind of thing happened now most would fk off the rest would stay to boo.

That's a perfect comparison that, it really is like a library :laugh:

The second you try to sing, people look at you like a "HOW VERY DARE YOU!" :lol:

It was even worse when I was a season ticket holder in the East Stand - daring to shout, sing or stand at any point for any reason ended up with the miserable wankers around you looking at you as if you had three heads or were a nutjob or whinging that you were blocking thier view for a split second.

Atmosphere can be great , but unfortunately hasn't quite been this year.

" Were's your famous atmosphere " , a chant which has been sung by 3 of the away followings so far this season.

For the first time since having a season ticket , I said on Saturday I'm genuinely thinking of moving my seat away from the singing section because although people say , it's not full of chavs , kids , idiots etc quite frankly it is.

Some of them up there , do sit there just to sing to the away fans , " Your support is fucking shit " , " Were did you park your mini bus " etc this is how thick some people are.

A lad infront of us was singing " Were'd you park your mini bus " , it followed by a chant from the top of the stand " Were'd you park your burger van "  ( He was rather loud and over weight , the typical Newcastle Fan according to papers and tv like ) , anyways he actually began chanting along with it pointing to the away fans , clueless.

Another one which has annoyed me is , " Hughton give us a wave " whilst drawing 1-1 , then once we don't get a 2nd goal within 5 minutes , it turns to " Hughton sort it out " , what fucking planet are these people on.

One of the lads summed it up , when we got booed off at half time against Fulham , it's not a pantomime you can't just cheer when were winning , and boo when it's not going good.

I love sitting up there , because I stand up and have a good sing song but this season has been gash bar the 2 big winning games.

Some of them up there , do sit there just to sing to the away fans , " Your support is fucking shit " , " Were did you park your mini bus " etc this is how thick some people are.

Absolutely shit sick of this one.

Bad craic when even Kane is thinking of moving. :undecided:

Pedantic post Dave, but why do you spell "crack" "craic" ?

Crack has been a Geordie expression for as long as anyone knows and long,long before the Irish hijacked it and it became trendy to spell it "craic".

I honestly could not believe the reaction to Tiote on Wednesday. Yes he made a mistake which cost us a goal and that seemed to affect him for the rest of the game but up until that point he had arguably been our best player of the season. When he was substituted I stood up to give him a standing ovation, not for his performance in that match but for his contribution since he signed. Nearly everyone else around me stayed seated whilst some people actually booed and the bloke behind me shouted for him to eff off straight down the tunnel. I turned around, swore at him a couple of times and walked out of the ground.

I doubt i'll be back again this season.

Crack has been a Geordie expression for as long as anyone knows and long,long before the Irish hijacked it and it became trendy to spell it "craic".

Trendy? I'm pretty sure its spelt craic because that is how you spell crack in Gaeilge :lol:

Guest WashyGeordie

Atmosphere can be great , but unfortunately hasn't quite been this year.

" Were's your famous atmosphere " , a chant which has been sung by 3 of the away followings so far this season.

For the first time since having a season ticket , I said on Saturday I'm genuinely thinking of moving my seat away from the singing section because although people say , it's not full of chavs , kids , idiots etc quite frankly it is.

Some of them up there , do sit there just to sing to the away fans , " Your support is f***ing s*** " , " Were did you park your mini bus " etc this is how thick some people are.

A lad infront of us was singing " Were'd you park your mini bus " , it followed by a chant from the top of the stand " Were'd you park your burger van "  ( He was rather loud and over weight , the typical Newcastle Fan according to papers and tv like ) , anyways he actually began chanting along with it pointing to the away fans , clueless.

Another one which has annoyed me is , " Hughton give us a wave " whilst drawing 1-1 , then once we don't get a 2nd goal within 5 minutes , it turns to " Hughton sort it out " , what f***ing planet are these people on.

One of the lads summed it up , when we got booed off at half time against Fulham , it's not a pantomime you can't just cheer when were winning , and boo when it's not going good.

I love sitting up there , because I stand up and have a good sing song but this season has been gash bar the 2 big winning games.

I agree with this, sadly.

I love not being able to sit, and sing throughout the game, but since it's introduction it's been steadily on the decline already. The club ruined it through greed, and in-turn clueless, or fickle fans, ruin the atmosphere. Just because we're losing doesn't mean you have to turn on the team, and i've noticed that it's also when the anti-ashley chants come into play. And i'm sure every home game this season "where'd you park yer mini bus!" has been sung.

So for the first time i'm contemplating moving lower down next season, just then i'll probablies have to deal with not singing with the majority anymore, bellend stewards, and sitting down.

Trendy? I'm pretty sure its spelt craic because that is how you spell crack in Gaeilge :lol:

Irish stole it from English and changed it to craic.

I use craic though because it's ubercool.

That's like saying the Germans stole schadenfreude or the French stole renaissance. :rolleyes:

That's like saying the Germans stole schadenfreude or the French stole renaissance. :rolleyes:

Not really.

Both spellings are fine. "Crack" would tend to refer to conversation, as in "did he have any crack?", whereas "craic" would generally refer to a fun pastime - mainly adopted in this sense by the Irish.