Vuckic

TRon

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Is Vuckic injured?

He had an operation to fix something in his leg/knee. But he's still in a canny bit of pain so it may have went wrong. It's looking like he wont be playing again this season  :thdn:

Poor player.

Based on the limited appearances I've seen, I agree. I know he's young, but I can't get over how slow he's looked when I've seen him. He has a long way to go and if he keeps getting hurt then he's never going to live up to any exceptions.

I know it's annoying when people write off young players at an early stage (I'm not doing this with Vuckic btw), but it's equally annoying when people make excuse after excuse for these kids. It's ok that some of them aren't as good as anticipated. Disappointing sure, but more miss than make it. That's why stockpiling them is more important than trying to pick out single studs.

Sorry for the tangent - I'm bored.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He's not slow at all, showed a good turn of speed in the Arsenal cup game. But I've seen little quality from him thus far.

Poor player.

Based on the limited appearances I've seen, I agree. I know he's young, but I can't get over how slow he's looked when I've seen him. He has a long way to go and if he keeps getting hurt then he's never going to live up to any exceptions.

I know it's annoying when people write off young players at an early stage (I'm not doing this with Vuckic btw), but it's equally annoying when people make excuse after excuse for these kids. It's ok that some of them aren't as good as anticipated. Disappointing sure, but more miss than make it. That's why stockpiling them is more important than trying to pick out single studs.

Bumcrack sore? The fence must be well and truly wedged up there with all those self-contradictions.

Poor player.

How much football has he played in the last two years?

Poor player.

No where near enough.

Poor player.

No where near enough.

nice avatar

• 4 weeks later...
Guest je85

A blog post I found on twitter http://twofootedtackle.com/premier-league/haris-vuckic-slovenias-future/

Haris Vučkić: Slovenia’s future?

When a player makes his professional debut at 15 you have to believe he’s something special. NK Domzale rated Haris Vučkić so highly that they took a league fine just to use the Slovenian maestro before his 16th birthday. 2009 saw him earn his big move to Newcastle United, where he began putting in impressive performances for the reserve side.

Described as the classic number 10, he is what the Italians call a ‘Trequartista’; it’s no coincidence that when researching him, Google Images displays him holding aloft a Newcastle shirt with ‘Vučkić 10′ denoted on the back. He inhabits the space between midfield and attack but plays more like a striker than a midfielder. Think Rafael Van Der Vaart at Tottenham, or Roberto Baggio in the 90s.

One of the first things that strikes you about Vučkić is just how physically imposing he is. At 6ft 3in he dwarfs his manager Alan Pardew and glides across the grass ever so gracefully. His sporadic appearances for Newcastle’s first team have given him little opportunity to display his talents, in part due to his deployment in a deeper role at central midfield.

He has also suffered poor luck with injuries, which is one of the reasons he isn’t currently in consideration for a depleted Newcastle side that named an alarmingly young bench for the recent narrow defeat away to Aston Villa.

It hasn’t all been bad for Vučkić, however. He ended 2010 on a high after receiving a call-up to his country’s national team for their Euro 2012 qualifiers against Estonia and the Faroe Islands. His national team was also a cause for much speculation due to his Bosnian heritage.

Towards the end of 2010 Vučkić chose to finally put to rest any confusion and announce his decision to play for Slovenia. In what was a rather diplomatic answer, Vučkić told how he appreciated Bosnia’s desire to have him but having grown up in and with so many connections to Slovenia, it would be difficult to turn them down. It was refreshing to see a player choose to stick to the country he grew up in when the temptation of lining up next to Edin Dzeko and Miralem Pjanic was on offer.

Slovenia itself is still very much in its infancy, having gained independence in 1991. The current crop of players are performing well after qualifying for last summer’s World Cup in South Africa. The name of captain Robert Koren will be most familiar to English fans, although fans of his former club West Bromwich Albion may also vaguely remember Bostjan Cesar who spent time at Olympique Marseille as well as in the Black Country and was recently on the end of a head-butt from Samuel Eto’o.

Looking to the history of Slovenian football, as young as it is, it would appear they are nurturing another creative midfielder in the mould of Zlatko Zahovic, who is most famous for his time at Porto as well as his performances in the Euro 2000 competition.

With an appearance not too dissimilar to, Koren when he first arrived in England Zahovic had a silk-like touch that matched his jet black hair. He is still much loved in Athens for his time with Olympiakos, and is his country’s leading goalscorer with an impressive return of 35 goals in 80 games.

The current squad find themselves 17th in FIFA’s rankings but they are not blessed with youth; the majority of their players are 25 and older. With the European Championships just over a year away it’s hoped the younger members of the squad – like Josip Ilicic of Palermo and Valter Birsa of Auxerre – will have established themselves in the national team picture, and along with Vučkić could be considered potential dark horses for the group stage.

Vučkić’s decision might seem vindicated by the current situation in Bosnian football. April Fool’s Day saw UEFA’s announcement that Bosnia was suspended from all UEFA and FIFA competitions with immediate effect, but it was no laughing matter. Even the nation’s officials cannot participate in games.

In terms of his club career Vučkić, is still very much looked at with the long-term in mind. January saw him sign a five-and-a-half year contract, a clear indication to just how highly Newcastle rate the teenager. Of course, reports that both Manchester United and Arsenal have been watching may have forced them to push a contingency plan of a long term contract to make sure they receive the highest fee possible.

With the likes of Nile Ranger, Tim Krul and (until January) Andy Carroll emerging as regulars for Newcastle, it would seem Vučkić is seen as the next in that line of graduate academy products. With the likes of Hatem Ben Arfa and Peter Beardsley at the club he has a good teachers with whom to learn the game and the role of a number 10.

In the short-term he will no doubt look to get back to full fitness and gain a full pre-season, with both the player and fans alike hoping that the 2011 season is the one where Vučkić begins to display his emerging talent on one of the biggest stages.

Not been the star signing we thought he would be BUT we cannot write him off yet, fkn hell Shola has a shocking injury record and has been here forever.

That's only because a lot of our fans had him earmarked as the next Messi without actually seeing him kicking a ball.

Anyone saying we should write him off is mental. He's 18 for fucks sake :lol: Hopefully he'll get a full preseason under his belt, shake off his injury problems and he can act as understudy to HBA in that second striker role. He's got talent but we're not going to see it by playing him out of position.