Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not often that I'll agree with David Cameron, but this is a quote from his reaction.

"I think according to Fifa we had the best technical bid, the best commercial bid.  No-one could identify any risks coming to England. It turns out that's not enough."

David Cameron (X-Eton) V Vladimir Putin (X-KGB)

You dont play Queensbury rules with this f***er man. We were giving Ms Warner a Mulberry hand bag, when we should of been taking the FIFA exec into Spearmintrhino.

But DC is right we won the battle on a spreadsheet.

That's what the thinly veiled comment is saying though - how can the best bid be booted out first and the worst bid actually win?  We've tried to stick to the rules and made the most viable package on the table but they have bid on outside influences.  The whole bidding system has been proven to be just FIFA officials going on their jollies for over a year and thier findings may as well just be thrown into a bin.

Cheers for pointing that out, I did not notice that at first glance.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcta1sqyix1qacb5mo1_500.png

Homosexuality is a sin in Christianity.

Aye, but you tend not to face jail, stoning you to death or hanging.

There are lots of homosexuals in the middle east, some not so open, some VERY open especially in the United Arab Emirates. None of them face anything.

Some of you lot have a completely different view about the Middle East than how it really is. You'll be surprised how open other Arab countries are besides Saudi Arabia.

Qatar

same sex activity: illegal (fines, prison sentence up to 5 years)

In 1995 an American citizen visiting Qatar was sentenced to six months in prison and 90 lashes, for homosexuality activity.[2] In the 1990s, Philippine Overseas Employment Administration informed Philippine workers that gay workers were prohibited in Qatar. This was in response to several mass arrests and deportations of Philippine workers in Qatar, for homosexuality.[3]

The football world dosen't revolve around england.

Yours, mine & many peoples does though.

Eh? And? You think the world football revolves around us then?

Does it revolve around Qatar like?

:lol: as if that was the point I was implying!

Every country has the right to go for hosting the world cup, if it meets the criteria.

How does Qatar meet the criteria then? It even breaks one of the main rules, that there can only be two stadiums in one city - Doha is going to have six.

it's really more than that as some of the other stadiums are basically in Doha suburbs.

Is it Doha 2022 then?

Which stadium are not in Doha then?

Definite tactical voting. Get rid of England in the first round by voting for the country with no chance, then after getting rid of England by voting for Bel/Hol, switch to Russia.

Nail on head Mr Nut.

Why wouldn't they just vote for Russia in the first place?

cos then england would have more/equal votes than the netherlands/belgium and go through to the 2nd round. they're artificially inflating the bene bid to knock out england's.

Eh?

We'd have still had 2 and it doesn't matter what everyone else has, if one manages an overall majority.

I don't doubt that there was tactical voting going on, but this analysis of how it when on is obviously wrong.

There are lots of homosexuals in the middle east, some not so open, some VERY open especially in the United Arab Emirates. None of them face anything.

Some of you lot have a completely different view about the Middle East than how it really is. You'll be surprised how open other Arab countries are besides Saudi Arabia.

Qatar

You plan on having same sex in public then?

All these "sins" such as same sex activity and prostitution are done behind closed doors, nobody knowing a thing. Same with Alcohol, there is no lack of that in the Middle East never mind Qatar.

Maybe you need to update wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_United_Arab_Emirates

I'm not worried about the US getting it or not, as I'm sure they'll get '26, but I don't think this was the right time to go with Qatar. You had the US or Australia, even if they had conflicting stadiums, Australia have the money to make more. At this point, Qatar have the money to support this, despite being particularly small. But who fucking knows in 2022? Look at the UAE, they were rich for a few years before going all out on tourism and going completely bankrupt. This is probably what will happen to Qatar. A small nation like that can only last so long spending so much money, the oil business can drastically change in the next twelve years as well with the reemergence of electrical cars. This was just not a safe pick at all, especially after picking two third world countries and one run by the mafia.

And I haven't even mentioned fans from around the world who don't want to be going to Brazil, Russia, or Qatar. Just so many factors make this a poor choice.

Definite tactical voting. Get rid of England in the first round by voting for the country with no chance, then after getting rid of England by voting for Bel/Hol, switch to Russia.

Nail on head Mr Nut.

So it appears less obvious Russia's paid half of them off?

They don't seem to have been that shy about it in the past.

Maybe you need to live in Emirates :)

Wonder what would happen if Israel qualified for the 2022 World Cup? Isn't Judism outlawed or something over there?

Take a look at their presentation there was something about that. As far as I know there are a minority of jews living in the Middle East, very very minor though.

Nail on head Mr Nut.

cos then england would have more/equal votes than the netherlands/belgium and go through to the 2nd round. they're artificially inflating the bene bid to knock out england's.

Eh?

We'd have still had 2 and it doesn't matter what everyone else has, if one manages an overall majority.

I don't doubt that there was tactical voting going on, but this analysis of how it when on is obviously wrong.

No, you make sure England get knocked out in the first round by giving votes to the next weakest, then it's all good, because England are out...

Nail on head Mr Nut.

Eh?

huh? it's not about england's votes, it's about ensuring england comes bottom and therefore knocked out. by getting a couple of russia's voters to vote for the dutch it helps knock out england. the analysis of england's bid was always that they'd be a big threat in the later rounds, but that they might have difficulty getting there.

russia would not have gotten an overall majority in the first round if the 2 votes had gone their way instead, so they were tactically used to knock out england. that's the theory anyway, would be pretty hard to arrange in practice.

I'm not worried about the US getting it or not, as I'm sure they'll get '26, but I don't think this was the right time to go with Qatar. You had the US or Australia, even if they had conflicting stadiums, Australia have the money to make more. At this point, Qatar have the money to support this, despite being particularly small. But who fucking knows in 2022? Look at the UAE, they were rich for a few years before going all out on tourism and going completely bankrupt. This is probably what will happen to Qatar. A small nation like that can only last so long spending so much money, the oil business can drastically change in the next twelve years as well with the reemergence of electrical cars. This was just not a safe pick at all, especially after picking two third world countries and one run by the mafia.

And I haven't even mentioned fans from around the world who don't want to be going to Brazil, Russia, or Qatar. Just so many factors make this a poor choice.

isnt China the big favourite for 2026? personally think china would be an amazing host and if they bid for it it would be just too big a temptation for fifa.

Qatar

You plan on having same sex in public then?

All these "sins" such as same sex activity and prostitution are done behind closed doors, nobody knowing a thing. Same with Alcohol, there is no lack of that in the Middle East never mind Qatar.

I want to be able to make it obvious i'm having same sex if i want to. Film it perhaps and not have to be terrified someone will find it. Regardless, you can't defend such laws.

Wonder what would happen if Israel qualified for the 2022 World Cup? Isn't Judism outlawed or something over there?

Israelis played in the Dubai Open last year and attended the WTO Summit in Dubai so I can't see it being a problem. Israel are gash these days anyways :lol:

I'm not worried about the US getting it or not, as I'm sure they'll get '26, but I don't think this was the right time to go with Qatar. You had the US or Australia, even if they had conflicting stadiums, Australia have the money to make more. At this point, Qatar have the money to support this, despite being particularly small. But who f***ing knows in 2022? Look at the UAE, they were rich for a few years before going all out on tourism and going completely bankrupt. This is probably what will happen to Qatar. A small nation like that can only last so long spending so much money, the oil business can drastically change in the next twelve years as well with the reemergence of electrical cars. This was just not a safe pick at all, especially after picking two third world countries and one run by the mafia.

isnt China the big favourite for 2026? personally think china would be an amazing host and if they bid for it it would be just too big a temptation for fifa.

It can't go to the same confederation twice in a row so Qatar have basically scuppered China's bid :lol:

Israelis played in the Dubai Open last year and attended the WTO Summit in Dubai so I can't see it being a problem. Israel are gash these days anyways :lol:

their current keeper was my best scout in fm2010. found me so many ridiculous players.  :smitten:

Maybe you need to live in Emirates :)

You have to live somewhere to criticise it? Living in the UAE or not does not change this fact:

Article 177 of the Penal Code of Dubai imposes imprisonment of up to 10 years on consensual sodomy

In 2008 two women tourists were given a one-month jail sentence and then deported for engaging in public displays of affection while visiting a beach [8]. The trial, reportedly the first of its kind, prompted the police to create a special task force to combat homosexuality and other "indecent acts" from taking place on the beaches [9].

I've never seen anybody arrested in the UK for stealing a car, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.