Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

@ thenorthumbrian

100% correct.

I'm disappointed about the U.S. not winning-- only because I'd like to attend the games. But realistically, England and the United States have already hosted the World Cup and looking at it as a neutral I'd much rather see the games take place in a country that has never hosted the tournament before. 

The Chinese just released an interview saying they'd be interested in 2026 a few hours ago, which is obviously a huge blow for all the AFC bids.

Good to see that they still never miss a chance to be c***s.

If they post a serious bid it will save everyone else in the world a lot of money. No competition. Plus that's three WCs in a row (arguably four) where the local press are emasculated.

Full results of 2018 voting:

Round 1: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes.

Round 2: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 13 votes (Russia obtain absolute majority)

As commented on the BBC...

So two people who voted for Netherlands/Belgium in round one, switched allegiances to Russia in round two even though Neth/Bel were still involved. I don't really understand that.

Full results of 2022 voting:

Round 1: Australia1 vote, Japan 3 votes, US 3 votes, South Korea 4 votes and Qatar 11 votes.

Round 2: Japan 2 votes, South Korea 5 votes, US 5 votes and Qatar 10 votes.

Round 3 South Korea 5 votes, US 6 votes and Qatar 11 votes.

Round 4 US 8 votes and Qatar 14 votes (Qatar obtain absolute majority)

I see by some of the video presentations on YouTube, that our bid was pretty much based on how mint the Premier League is? I can see where we failed tbh.

And the fact the rest of the world doesn't take us seriously.

The Chinese just released an interview saying they'd be interested in 2026 a few hours ago, which is obviously a huge blow for all the AFC bids.

Good to see that they still never miss a chance to be c***s.

If they post a serious bid it will save everyone else in the world a lot of money. No competition. Plus that's three WCs in a row (arguably four five) where the local press are emasculated.

i'm still in disbelief, like. graham taylor just said that FIFA people are the type that say yes to your face and no behind your back and he's right. lets not bother bidding for any more because it clearly isn't quality related. its blatter in his quest for a nobel fucking peace cunting prize. FIFA reeks of corruption and its dripping from them.

the qatari victory baffles me the most. how can a country the size of newcastle, with absolutely no footballing history and temporary flatpack stadia even have the audacity to bid for the World Cup? its as if all logic has been turned inside out.

i see the british media as scum, but i sincerely hope they go all-out and completely rape FIFA, exposing every dirty secret they have. and lets introduce goal-line technology - why not? we shouldn't be pleasing those bellends anymore. they can get lost.

So two people who voted for Netherlands/Belgium in round one, switched allegiances to Russia in round two even though Neth/Bel were still involved. I don't really understand that.

:lol: That's just beautiful

I don't think the media allegations were the cause of us losing, but they might explain our losing so badly.

Our media act very independently, and without any sense of responsibility for anyone's interests other than their own in attracting readers / viewers. The media in most other countries are more heavily censored or at least influenced by their governments.

I suspect that when our media came up with these stories, the assumption on many delegates' parts would be that they had been put up to it by the bid team or the government. They would have interpreted it as dirty tricks by the English establishment, rather than the rather wayward behaviour of our media.

Our most significant moment probably came when the Daily Mail taped our previous bid leader making scathing remarks about other countries' bids and the possibility of corruption. Other countries must find it hard to fathom why an apparently establishment paper like the Daily Mail would do something like that, unless they were being influenced to do so by people higher up.

Just to follow on from Doug's very good post. Sending the Prime Minister, the Prince and Beckham did reek of desperation and was quite over the top really.

Utter rubbish.

Nope.

So... we shouldn't have sent such key figures? :facepalm:

The Prince and the Prime Minister took away from the football feel. Just felt a bit "glitz and glam" with little substance. Do they really care much for football? Really? That Man City worker was the most captivating bit. Beckham made a lot of sense too I guess because he's had a great career all over the world really, and has a lot of pull.

It won us the Olympics!

Oh well. Who knows. Just seemd a bit much. It's clear FIFA's emphasis was moving towards giving it to places where they felt that the money would aid some sort of development and improvement of infrastructure etc. England should have found more of an angle such as this to play up. People always go on about how much grass roots football is struggling over here afterall. I don't know ... should have played that up more perhaps? It's unfortunate.

ummm did you actually watch the presentation or not? half of england's bid was about this "football united" fund which would match fifa's investment in grassroots football around the world. it was the most focused on grassroots worldwide development out of all the bids. furthermore, the bid was actually headed by some manc guy no one had heard of who works in youth development in manchester.

you think Qatar's glizty bid is about grassroots football? or russia with all their brand new stadiums. bollocks are they - both were more about headline grabbing and glamorous aspects than any low level football development.

I watched the bid. Do you honestly believe The football powers in this country would give the scrapings off the bottom of their shoes to overseas football development. Open your eyes to the reality of English football. We have the most lopsided distribution of wealth in the sport it is possible to have. Anyone with experience of grass roots football will tell you that their only contact with officialdom is when they are being screwed for money by County FAs or councils, yet we are the wealthiest football nation going. It is all squirrelled away into the arse pockets of the elite and their cronies at the top of the games pyramid. Please dont believe the bullshit rhetoric given in a half hour presentation by people who probably wont even be there when they have to deliver, anyone can promise the world when it is 8 years off and there is no commitment or money up front.

to answer your question yes i do think the English bid would gather the money to invest in global grassroots football as they promised.

Touchingly naive, maybe they might have even filtered some down to our own grassroots as a practice run, We'll never know now.

So basically 2 people have tactically voted Netherland/Belgium in the first round to get rid of us as soon as possible allowing Russia to win it in the 2nd.

So basically 2 people have tactically voted Netherland/Belgium in the first round to get rid of us as soon as possible allowing Russia to win it in the 2nd.

That's my understanding of it too. Nasty.

Could have also been to block out the Spain/Portugal bid as well once they realised Neth/Belgium had no chance.

Don't begrudge a populous country with a tradition of football, but I do take offence at them basically giving it to a bunch of oil-rich playboys who fancy having it in their back garden to stroke their egos.

The Premier has about 13 million going through the turnstiles each season, what's the population of Qatar?

Qatar is effectively hosting the World Cup for the Arab world. Perfectly understandable.

Goal for Qatar, goal for the ARAB WORLD!

Could the Arab world not have picked somewhere a bit bigger? If this is going to be the big representation of the Arab world, the only impression anyone's going to get of it is that it's canny cramped.

Qatar is effectively hosting the World Cup for the Arab world. Perfectly understandable.

it's crazy. the entire world cup bar 2 or 3 stadiums will be hosted in doha and its suburbs, and doha is a relatively small city. the other "cities" include places that dont actually exist atm and a couple of small villages around the size of Corbridge. and then in temperatures in excess of 40'c. in a country with backwards rules on sexuality equality, drinking in public, human rights, and the freedom of the press. and a place with absolutely no football culture to speak of where over a dozen of their national team players have just been imported from abroad.

ive no doubt with the time they have to prepare they'll manage to pull it off, but that's not to say they deserve to host it, cos they don't.