Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As Martin Samuel said in August "If Russia is so wonderful, how come Roman Abramovich lives in Wentworth?"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1307247/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Why-2018-World-Cup-Russia-Its-black-white.html#ixzz16yfxp3us

Jack Warner &  Issa Hayatou better hope the locals dont get in the VIP. Best of luck to any black people going to the Iron Curtain WC 2018.

Qatar is actually the one that concerns me. I'm sure they'll use their oil money to make every thing look nice and run smoothly, but players, managers, staff, fans, etc. don't want to be camped out in 40 degree heat for a month.

I've been to Qatar in May and the heat was repressive at 45 degrees plus and I wasn't running around, I think this is a massive balls up.  Just being in a stadium will be bad enough; playing football will be a health hazard.

Qatar is actually the one that concerns me. I'm sure they'll use their oil money to make every thing look nice and run smoothly, but players, managers, staff, fans, etc. don't want to be camped out in 40 degree heat for a month.

I've been to Qatar in May and the heat was repressive at 45 degrees plus and I wasn't running around, I think this is a massive balls up.  Just being in a stadium will be bad enough; playing football will be a health hazard.

Their bid proposes to build nine new fully air-conditioned open-air stadiums, both on the pitch and in the spectator area, that work using solar power.

Solar thermal collectors and photovoltaic panels on the outside the stadiums and on their roofs will mine energy from the blazing Qatari sun.

It will be used to chill water, which in turn will cool air before it is blown through the stadium, keeping pitch temperatures below 27 C (80 F).

Qatar 2022's bid book director Yasir Al Jamal told CNN it would be the first time these technologies have been combined to keep a stadium cool.

"Stadium seats will be cooled using air pumped at the spectator ankle zone at a temperature of 18 C," he said.

"The same air will also be projected from the back and neck area of the seats, ensuring that each seating row of each stadium provides maximum comfort and enjoyment to fans."

:lol: Hope the technology works!

Their bid proposes to build nine new fully air-conditioned open-air stadiums, both on the pitch and in the spectator area, that work using solar power.

No need. They'll be thousands of fans on hand to keep them cool

:boomboom: 

:coat:

Solar thermal collectors and photovoltaic panels on the outside the stadiums and on their roofs will mine energy from the blazing Qatari sun.

It will be used to chill water, which in turn will cool air before it is blown through the stadium, keeping pitch temperatures below 27 C (80 F).

Qatar 2022's bid book director Yasir Al Jamal told CNN it would be the first time these technologies have been combined to keep a stadium cool.

"Stadium seats will be cooled using air pumped at the spectator ankle zone at a temperature of 18 C," he said.

"The same air will also be projected from the back and neck area of the seats, ensuring that each seating row of each stadium provides maximum comfort and enjoyment to fans."

:lol: Hope the technology works!

Don't begrudge a populous country with a tradition of football, but I do take offence at them basically giving it to a bunch of oil-rich playboys who fancy having it in their back garden to stroke their egos.

The Premier has about 13 million going through the turnstiles each season, what's the population of Qatar?

What's the relevance of this? It's the World Cup, 99% of the people at the games will be travelling from abroad anyway.

Qatar is effectively hosting the World Cup for the Arab world. Perfectly understandable.

it's crazy. the entire world cup bar 2 or 3 stadiums will be hosted in doha and its suburbs, and doha is a relatively small city. the other "cities" include places that dont actually exist atm and a couple of small villages around the size of Corbridge. and then in temperatures in excess of 40'c. in a country with backwards rules on sexuality equality, drinking in public, human rights, and the freedom of the press. and a place with absolutely no football culture to speak of where over a dozen of their national team players have just been imported from abroad.

ive no doubt with the time they have to prepare they'll manage to pull it off, but that's not to say they deserve to host it, cos they don't.

I don't disagree with you entirely. I just don't think that "deserve" has anything to do with it.

Qatar is backwards. Ok. But since when has being "backwards" politically or socially ruled a nation out? Political backwardness didn't prevent Italy in 38 or Argentina in 78 from hosting.

To say that they do not have the infrastructure to host the games is to instantly rule out 95% of the globe. I don't think that the bar for hosting the games should be so high as to eliminate poorer or smaller nations.

FIFA already operates under the principle that the games rotate between the confederations. This endorses the idea that different parts of the globe are entitled to host the games. Prior to 2002, Asia was a glaring omission. Prior to the last World Cup, it was Africa. With Russia, they've got Eastern Europe for the first time. Qatar represents the Middle East/Arab world.

I see Central Asia in my future.  Uzbekistan 2034!

We got two votes I am guessing 1 vote was from Geoff Thompson, wonder who the exec committee member was*.

* = Not sure if the answer has previously been posted.

Thailand and Japan are favourites. We are playing Thailand in a friendly next year, and the keep hiring ex-England internationals as manager.

Don't begrudge a populous country with a tradition of football, but I do take offence at them basically giving it to a bunch of oil-rich playboys who fancy having it in their back garden to stroke their egos.

The Premier has about 13 million going through the turnstiles each season, what's the population of Qatar?

What's the relevance of this? It's the World Cup, 99% of the people at the games will be travelling from abroad anyway.

exactly. The football world dosen't revolve around england. Plenty of people from the arab world will be attending anyway. You can't say the arab world is not football crazy.

How many here thought the 94 world cup was going to be a success?

We got two votes I am guessing 1 vote was from Geoff Thompson, wonder who the exec committee member was*.

* = Not sure if the answer has previously been posted.

Thailand and Japan are favourites. We are playing Thailand in a friendly next year, and the keep hiring ex-England internationals as manager.

Has to be the Thailand as Japan has no one on the exec committee

exactly. The football world dosen't revolve around england. Plenty of people from the arab world will be attending anyway. You can't say the arab world is not football crazy.

How many here thought the 94 world cup was going to be a success?

I see your and Johnny's point, but the whole thing has the feel of someone rich hiring a famous singer to perform at their son's birthday party, or flying in their favourite takeaway, than a nation clamouring for something.

Danny Simpson offers his analysis on Twitter:

"That's a joke, its politics n panorama have killed it 4 us."

Up there with Ian Wright in terms of brain capacity. Wouldn't be surprised if he got his opinion from that cretins article in the Sun actually.

So two people who voted for Netherlands/Belgium in round one, switched allegiances to Russia in round two even though Neth/Bel were still involved. I don't really understand that.

That's also assuming that the two parties that voted for Netherlands / Belgium in the second round voted for them in the first and are not the two that voted for us in the first.