Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What exaclty is Joe Gomez's point in the squad?

He's been pretty good in a back 3 to be fair to him.

Got it, he's more of a fullback, traditionally but plays in the back 3.

Aye played well last match.

---

More broadly you could probably put a rolling paper between Tarkowski, Mawson and Lascelles this season and all will probably struggle more not playing in a defence focused side.

Agreed. Out of curiosity, do you consider Maguire to be better or worse than that group then?

Neither better nor worse really. He's definitely better on the ball but he's always looked a bit shaky positionally for me. Depends what you value as the manager.

Unless playing a centre back 3 I think I'd always subscribe to the Vidic/Puyol (stopper) Ferdinand/Pique (sweeper) style duo.

On the plus side for us in the short-term the chances of Lascelles getting crocked is diminished.

Southgate is off his face looking at those names.

Which ones in particular?

I have to ask who you'd rather play? We're just not great in general.

Livermore, Welbeck and Lallana are the ones I scoffed at most. I'm pretty sure there are other lesser-known players who'd fit the bill who've played more and played better. If you're taking a midfielder from the team rock bottom of the league, bang on to go down, we must really be in trouble.

Southgate is off his face looking at those names.

Which ones in particular?

I have to ask who you'd rather play? We're just not great in general.

Livermore, Welbeck and Lallana are the ones I scoffed at most. I'm pretty sure there are other lesser-known players who'd fit the bill who've played more and played better. If you're taking a midfielder from the team rock bottom of the league, bang on to go down, we must really be in trouble.

Lallana must have played about 15 minutes in the last 6 months. I'm possibly making that up, but he's been out for ages hasn't it?

It's the old-age England thing of the squad picking itself.

Livermore hasn't even been playing regularly this year. Not that El Rey's judgements on a player mean owt.

Yeah. Either way you look at it, he's a shocking inclusion. I'm not even saying it because I think Newcastle players should be in there, and I can't say who else I'd put in as I don't know other team's squads well enough - but I find it hard to believe he's a hot pick from any angle.

The Livermore and Welbeck picks are shocking. Really bad.

Livermore plays for bottom of the table team, 3 wins all season, he's scored 0 goals, had 1 assist.  :lol:

Welbeck only recently playing in Europa league, is in terrible form, and isn't scoring. Shite from Southgate.

I don't actually think Lascelles needs to be in a massively defensive team like. We're good defensively because of him, not the other way round.

Mmm...not so sure about that. He like our other defenders seem completely clueless when we're hit on the counter. Keep our shape and they're fine. That probably is true for most defenders but I think it's clear Rafa's tactics and management is making it a lot easier for him and other defenders. Even Dummett looks fucking class and we all know he's a crap footballer really.

Filipe Luis has broken his fibula. Third chance to go to a World Cup and now he most probably won't ever get to play one. In 2010 he was the 3rd choice left back and same in 2014. Feel so bad for him.

Filipe Luis has broken his fibula. Third chance to go to a World Cup and now he most probably won't ever get to play one. In 2010 he was the 3rd choice left back and same in 2014. Feel so bad for him.

What ever happened to Gabigol?

Back to Brazil. Never been that good. Failed at Benfica and Inter. Was actually sent off in the first half last night in the Libertadores.

Back to Brazil. Never been that good. Failed at Benfica and Inter. Was actually sent off in the first half last night in the Libertadores.

He’s only 21 :lol:

Just seen random highlights of England 6-0 San Marino. Had no idea David Platt missed an injury-time penalty to equal Malcolm McDonald's England record of 5 in a game.