Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Phil K

Mixture of both imo. FIFA should also get a fair bit of slack for not researching this and just working under the assumption that they won't have to/easily be able to change a whole country's laws for a month of football.

No it's NOT a mixture of both.  Qatar knew full well about the world cup and alcohol having a part in it too. Whats their next demand for changing the rules ? Making all women attending the World Cup 2022 wear burkhas ? If they let their religion dictate to ALL others (as they always do) they should have the tourney taken away - wouldn't be the first time, if I remember. Columbia was supposed to be the host for 1986 and it instead went to Mexico. If we're honest we all knew they'd pull this stroke at sometime, if they ARE trying to ban alcohol for all, that is. Ive never read it anywhere, but as I said, we all knew they'd demand it. Consideration for other cultures isn't exactly even considered in that entire area

Saw this bumped and was really hoping the bribery scandal had come out:

Gay Pope Buys World Cup For Muslim Leaders

The bribery scandal had essentially come out the moment they won.

My main question is what happens to the main club season if its going to be moved to the winter? no one is going to have any players :lol:

It's sort of hilarious, really. What a mess. Honestly, I'd love it if we just said no, and pulled out. Or sent our women's team.

Of course, us pulling out wouldn't help you lot much  :pow:

Saw this bumped and was really hoping the bribery scandal had come out:

Gay Pope Buys World Cup For Muslim Leaders

The bribery scandal had essentially come out the moment they won.

Sad but true I guess. I remember seeing a picture of the f***ing money packet. The 24 hour news cycle is amazing for pushing s*** under the rug. There's always some new outrage, so monoliths can just fire somebody and wait 30 days and then go back to their usual business.

edit- And the USA should send our women's team regardless. Better chance of winning that way.

The annoying thing is that they were award the Cup on the basis that they would build air conditioned facilities to get over the summer heat issue. Two months later, it's not going to be a summer tournament.

If part of their original package had been a switch in the football calandar, I don't think they'd have won. This stinks.

http://news.sky.com/story/1059397/world-cup-2022-could-be-moved-to-winter-fifa

Da-daaa!

:biscuit:

:suicide:

Platini actually voted for Qatar, even though its presentation was for a summer tournament. Then he changed his tune.

I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that shortly afterwards the Qataris bought PSG, started pumping money in, and Platini began softening his stance on Financial Fair Play. Likewise his son getting a job as a Legal Adviser for Qatar Sports Investments, who bought the club.

Guest Phil K

Platini actually voted for Qatar, even though its presentation was for a summer tournament. Then he changed his tune.

Platini doesn't have to do much to confirm our low opinion of him.

Still better than Blatter though

Though thats hardly saying much, is it ?

Platini doesn't have to do much to confirm our low opinion of him.

Still better than Blatter though

Though thats hardly saying much, is it ?

I don't actually think he is any different to Blatter. Total scumbags the pair of them.

They said they could cool open air stadia to 28 degrees which is never gonna happen in a million years. Now they want to ban alcohol and hold the tournament in winter. Just give the world cup to the country that should have been awarded it in the first place.

You lot would've hosted a smashing tournament. Long overdue to have it in Britain. Infrastructure is already there too.

WC games at SJP :megusta: (of course, knowing FIFA, they'd probably insist every game be held in London).

You lot would've hosted a smashing tournament. Long overdue to have it in Britain. Infrastructure is already there too.

WC games at SJP :megusta: (of course, knowing FIFA, they'd probably insist every game be held in London).

Nah, they're good with spreading the games around, usually only one city is allowed two grounds. Another rule that'll be changed for Qatar as most of the grounds will be in Doha.

I don't think a winter World Cup will be that bad tbh as long as all the major leagues in the world stop for the month and a half. (It will be pretty shit for a major footballing country who don't qualify though)

I like the idea of the Premier league being played in June and July. Dat terrace suntan.

I don't think a winter World Cup will be that bad tbh as long as all the major leagues in the world stop for the month and a half. (It will be pretty s*** for a major footballing country who don't qualify though)

I like the idea of the Premier league being played in June and July. Dat terrace suntan.

The idea that you just stop for a month and a half then carry on is bullshit though. The last World Cup went on for about a month (a day over). The group stages took two weeks. Then you add in the prep time beforehand - let's say two weeks. Then you consider that you should probably have a break before that, because you'll have just played half a season. Let's say two weeks. Then you add in a break afterwards. Again, let's say two weeks. It's for argument's sake of course, but that's eight weeks even if you get knocked out immediately. The players involved will be f***ed - not to mention, many will be injured. Then what happens in July, when you have teams full of players who are absolutely shattered, who then have to go straight into pre-season training for the next season without a break?

I mean, there will be ways to make it work, of course, but these are crazy lengths to go to.

Nah, our summer this year is scheduled for a Thursday, doubt we'll be playing that day.

:lol:

Wouldn't the idea of moving it to winter fuck up the logistics of the following season? With a stupidly short Summer break, transfer window during the season ect.

they'd basically have to rewrite the entire season schedule to force it in rather than lets say giving it to a country that can handle it already and actually allows silly things like alcohol or people being gay after all remember this gem of a quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9284186.stm

The idea of moving the World Cup to the winter can go to fuck.

FIFA are a farce. Would love to see most of them within done for corruption - the organisation needs a fresh start with fresh, reliable faces. Although admittedly, nothing is ever that simple.

• 4 months later...