Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Been arguing in favour of boycotting the winter olympics due to russian anti-gay laws, come to think of it unless they're repealed by then I may have to boycott watching any of the Russian world cup to avoid hypocrisy. Boy that's going to be f***ing painful.

i like the idea of a winter world cup (i've stated it on here a few times i think), it would be good for certain teams to have to compete in say an english, french or german winter instead of those countries having to nearly always compete in the summer in unfamiliar conditions.

this qatar idea is cack mind, has been since they were awarded.

Looks like the FA are once again looking to put their tongue to Fifa's boot.

FA chairman Greg Dyke says his organisation will back any plan to move the date of the 2022 World Cup.

The tournament is due to be held in Qatar in the summer but Dyke thinks the hot weather there at that time of year will necessitate a switch.

Speaking at a Friday press briefing, he said: "I don't know how many people here have ever been to Qatar in June.

"I have, and the one thing I can tell you is that you couldn't play a football tournament in Qatar in June.

"Even if all the stadia are air-conditioned, which seems in terms of green policy a bit strange, I just don't think it's possible. For the fans, it would be impossible.

"I think it will either have to be moved out of the summer or it will have to be moved to another location. And I suspect the former is more likely than the latter."

"So, I think my position, and I suspect the FA's position, will be you can't play it in the summer in Qatar.

"FIFA therefore has got two choices. You either move it time wise or you move it to another location. I suspect either ends up in some sort of litigation.

"I think it's now genuinely becoming accepted that you can't play it in Qatar in the summer and I think that will be our position.

"I understand the reaction of the Premier League to not want to move it, and I have some sympathy with them. We didn't have to choose to give it to Qatar in the summer, but that's what it is.

"I think it will either have to be moved out of the summer or it will have to be moved to another location. And I suspect the former is more likely than the latter."

so its the FA vs the Premier League, good lucking winning that one FA you'll need it since you need them way more than they need you

Been arguing in favour of boycotting the winter olympics due to russian anti-gay laws, come to think of it unless they're repealed by then I may have to boycott watching any of the Russian world cup to avoid hypocrisy. Boy that's going to be f***ing painful.

"according to Qatar’s penal code, the penalty for gay sex is up to seven years in jail. The country’s Muslim population is also subject to Shariah, which punishes homosexual activity outside of marriage by death, and sexual acts by non-married people with flogging" Could be along time without a non homophobic-world cup after Brazil, shameful.

"according to Qatar’s penal code, the penalty for gay sex is up to seven years in jail. The country’s Muslim population is also subject to Shariah, which punishes homosexual activity outside of marriage by death, and sexual acts by non-married people with flogging" Could be along time without a non homophobic-world cup after Brazil, shameful.

I'm assuming they don't allow gay marriage so basically the penalty for homosexual activity is death.  Bit harsh.

This whole episode just illustrates what a circus FIFA has become.

:anguish: It's bad enough that these backward countries even exist, never mind host a World Cup.

what am i missing about the qatar thing and the heat, "can't air condition a whole country"?  ???

people live there ffs, the stadiums will be air conditioned as will hotels and presumably anywhere people go indoors, taxi's etc.....sure training facilities can also be ac'd up

so what's the crack, they're worried about people walking the streets or something?

don't get me wrong, it's a fucking terrible idea but now it's been done surely it'd be easier to find a solution to the heat than uproot the entire european/world football calender

what am i missing about the qatar thing and the heat, "can't air condition a whole country"?  ???

people live there ffs, the stadiums will be air conditioned as will hotels and presumably anywhere people go indoors, taxi's etc.....sure training facilities can also be ac'd up

Qatar's bid was succesful because they offered the most money they claimed the could cool the stadia to ~25 degrees. even though the technology hasn't been invented. You see, the bitch with air conditioning is that you need to enclose the space ie close the patio doors on your hotel room. It's never ever going to work on an open air stadium. The Qataris and FIFA knew before the world cup was awarded that it was impossible to hold it there in June. The fan parks ffs! Hundreds of thousands of fans would be literally cooked.

During USA '94, one of my favourite world cups as it goes, the temperature often hit 35deg. Anyone remember Ireland vs Mexico? Ireland never had a chance of winning the world cup but against Mexico they fucking wilted. Imagine 10deg higher? It would be fucking insane.

The only solution as far as i'm concerned is to give the world cup to a country that can realisticly host it. USA, Australia or England. No way should it be moved to winter to accomodate the highest bidder.

:anguish: It's bad enough that these backward countries even exist, never mind host a World Cup.

Indeed going to have to sit out two world cups ffs

shouldn't be a difficult thing to sort out them, if the concern is playing temperature...FIFA tell the quataris that in summer 2014 they want a demonstration of a game played in temperatures below 30 degrees with a full house of fans watching

pass or fail, fail you lose the world cup

Should've given it to the US. Wankers.

O0

I agree that it was either the US or Australia's turn.

The only possible justification us/Japan could offer for the bid was that we'd run the tournament well, which apparently isn't that high of a priority.

Qatar though :yao: