Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Football is completely different now than it was back then. Look at the defending for Maradona's goal against England ffs. Imagine one of the top international teams defending like that now

Even imagine a top keeper getting beat to a high ball by a midget, hand or no hand

Guest firetotheworks

Maradona is the greatest footballer ever, by a fucking mile. If Messi wins the world cup with a pub team then we can compare the two.

How old are you?

Guest firetotheworks

FWIW I don't think the World Cup is the measure anymore tbh. It's still the greatest tournament, but it's not a yardstick to measure footballers by. It's genuinely the only thing left to throw at Messi as well, and tbh he nearly dragged Argentina to a World Cup win (particularly in the group stages) when he was nowhere near his best after just coming back from injury. His clutch moments and big game moments are other-worldly at times.

For me there's no comparison between Messi and anyone tbh. I know people say it's close between him and Ronaldo, Maradona, Pele, whoever else, but for me it's stratospheric in terms of what I see. I'll always hold back on Pele and Maradona though, purely because I don't think you can really comment with any authority on something you haven't seen at the time, but with everyone else in my lifetime it's not even close. Maybe original Ronaldo for that one season, but nah not really, part of what's so insane about Messi is that he's been doing it consistently for a decade with absolutely everyone including the best managers, defensive coaches, defenders, and 'keepers knowing exactly what he's about, what he's capable of, at times what he's going to do, and yet he still does it quite often while making them look like absolute mugs, simply because he cannot be stopped. For me whenever Messi doesn't win the Ballon D'or it's when he's slightly off his form, rather than anyone else being able to touch him when he's at his best, because when he's at his best, everyone else can be and they'll still be nowhere near him and what he can do.

Maradona is the greatest footballer ever, by a fucking mile. If Messi wins the world cup with a pub team then we can compare the two.

How old are you?

I don't disagree with what KI is saying about Messi. But Maradona done all that, even better. He played at a time when the opponents had a license to kick him up in the air. He played on much weaker teams and carried them on his back. He could walk on water.

FWIW I don't think the World Cup is the measure anymore tbh. It's still the greatest tournament, but it's not a yardstick to measure footballers by. It's genuinely the only thing left to throw at Messi as well, and tbh he nearly dragged Argentina to a World Cup win (particularly in the group stages) when he was nowhere near his best after just coming back from injury. His clutch moments and big game moments are other-worldly at times.

For me there's no comparison between Messi and anyone tbh. I know people say it's close between him and Ronaldo, Maradona, Pele, whoever else, but for me it's stratospheric in terms of what I see. I'll always hold back on Pele and Maradona though, purely because I don't think you can really comment with any authority on something you haven't seen at the time, but with everyone else in my lifetime it's not even close. Maybe original Ronaldo for that one season, but nah not really, part of what's so insane about Messi is that he's been doing it consistently for a decade with absolutely everyone including the best managers, defensive coaches, defenders, and 'keepers knowing exactly what he's about, what he's capable of, at times what he's going to do, and yet he still does it quite often while making them look like absolute mugs, simply because he cannot be stopped. For me whenever Messi doesn't win the Ballon D'or it's when he's slightly off his form, rather than anyone else being able to touch him when he's at his best, because when he's at his best, everyone else can be and they'll still be nowhere near him and what he can do.

I completely agree, mainly because club football is of a much higher level now compared to international football. I mean as i have said before the current world champions are basically Bayern Munich without Lewandowski, Thiago, Vidal, Robben, Alaba, Ribery etc etc.

How far would that team get in the CL? probably 2nd round at best.(unless they get an easy draw) I never understood the mindset that you need to win a WC anyway tbh, it's like saying Maradona needed to win the European Cup but does anyone said that? like fuck do they, also if you want to make the argument my case would be that Maradona's club career doesn't come close to Messi and many others.

I would say the closest player outside the generation in terms of joint international and club resume would be Cruyff. Lastly this is just a theory but i get the feeling that the reason the World Cup was so revered back then was because people never saw these players outside of that tournament, where as today we get to watch La Liga, Serie A and so on every week.

The German world cup squad of 2014 would be class though, they'd probably be in with a strong chance of winning any Champions League. Same with the Spain side that dominated before them. I get the point and agree with the jist of it but the top few nations usually have ridiculous squads.

1 Manuel Neuer goalkeeper, Bayern Munich

2 Kevin Grosskreutz defender, Borussia Dortmund

3 Matthias Ginter midfielder, Freiburg

4 Benedikt Höwedes defender, Schalke

5 Mats Hummels defender, Borussia Dortmund

6 Sami Khedira midfielder, Real Madrid

7 Bastian Schweinsteiger midfielder, Bayern Munich

8 Mesut Özil midfielder, Arsenal

9 André Schürrle midfielder, Chelsea

10 Lukas Podolski midfielder, Arsenal

11 Miroslav Klose forward, Lazio

12 Ron-Robert Zieler goalkeeper, Hannover

13 Thomas Müller midfielder, Bayern Munich

14 Julian Draxler midfielder, Schalke

15 Erik Durm defender, Borussia Dortmund

16 Philipp Lahm (captain) defender, Bayern Munich

17 Per Mertesacker defender, Arsenal

18 Toni Kroos midfielder, Bayern Munich

19 Mario Götze midfielder, Bayern Munich

20 Jérôme Boateng defender, Bayern Munich

21 Shkodran Mustafi defender, Sampdoria

22 Roman Weidenfeller goalkeeper, Borussia Dortmund

23 Christoph Kramer midfielder, Borussia Mönchengladbach

Their current squad has Werner, Ozil, Keidra, Sane, Gotze, Kroos, Howedes etc etc from outside of Bayern too.

I do admit i exaggerated for dramatic effect :lol: Also Spain's team would dominate regardless i agree, any team with Xavi in it did. I still feel like the CL is a higher quality of football these days though, World Cup was definitely better back in the day though.

I do admit i exaggerated for dramatic effect :lol: Also Spain's team would dominate regardless i agree, any team with Xavi in it did. I still feel like the CL is a higher quality of football these days though, World Cup was definitely better back in the day though.

Yeah, you also said only Cruyff out of generation comes close. You do talk some shit. Agree with KI in the sense that Messi is for me the best I've seen and by far as well, but I'm yet to talk to one that has seen Messi and Maradona throughout their careers say Messi is the better player which I find so hard to believe. Same goes regarding the ones who have seen Pele. In the end I'm happy I've gotten to see Messi play because in terms of career and winning trophies, I think Cristiano might actually have had a better one.

I'm not sure it's possible to actually get better than Messi. Maradona might be pretty much on par but since he's an utter cunt, it doesn't count. Same goes for Ronaldo for that matter. Tosser.

Not jealous at all.  :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Yeah, you also said only Cruyff out of generation comes close. You do talk some shit. Agree with KI in the sense that Messi is for me the best I've seen and by far as well, but I'm yet to talk to one that has seen Messi and Maradona throughout their careers say Messi is the better player which I find so hard to believe. Same goes regarding the ones who have seen Pele. In the end I'm happy I've gotten to see Messi play because in terms of career and winning trophies, I think Cristiano might actually have had a better one.

You might not know anyone personally who reckons Messi is better, but there are many in the game who have seen both and in some cases played against Maradona who reckon Messi is the best of all time. I think it's only my girlfriend's dad who I know that's seen both and he reckons Messi's far superior to anyone he's ever seen like. He doesn't like Maradona because of the Hand of God stuff and all that though, so there's that. I think he'd actually have Cruyff ahead of Maradona as well tbh.

It's mainly an age thing isn't it? I was born in 91 and I'm sure as a kid most of the talk of the greatest by adults veered more towards Pele than Maradona, now Pele gets discussed a lot less in comparison, and the 35+ group tends to sway towards Maradona and the younger group Messi.

Guest firetotheworks

It's mainly an age thing isn't it? I was born in 91 and I'm sure as a kid most of the talk of the greatest by adults veered more towards Pele than Maradona, now Pele gets discussed a lot less in comparison, and the 35+ group tends to sway towards Maradona and the younger group Messi.

That might be the case with fans, but the following pundits and ex pros are all quoted as saying he's the best ever having seen both Messi and Maradona, with some of them having seen Pele as well.

Wenger, Simone, Guardiola, Beckenbaur, Venebles, Souness, Gullit, Lineker, Tostão, Adriano Galliani, Marcial Pina, Keane, Wright, Shearer, Maldini, original Ronaldo, and Cassano.