Newcastle United 1 - 1 Chelsea - 28/11/10 - post match reaction from page 27

Dave

Guthrie was absolutely terrible.

:lol: The way you go on, you'd think Williamson and Guthrie gang-banged your dog, and Coloccini came and saved the day :laugh:

Everyone that disagrees with you has an agenda. I've been one of Guthrie's biggest fans on here since he signed. And i've said several times that I rate Williamson.

Again, grow the fuck up.

Guthrie was absolutely terrible.

:lol: The way you go on, you'd think Williamson and Guthrie gang-banged your dog, and Coloccini came and saved the day :laugh:

Everyone that disagrees with you has an agenda. I've been one of Guthrie's biggest fans on here since he signed. And i've said several times that I rate Williamson.

Again, grow the f*** up.

I'm already grown up. Thanks for the concern though.

Decent result, thought the lads gave their all and deserved the point.

We don't have the creative players to play a whole lot better than that to be honest, especially against a team like Chelsea.

Nolan has been woeful since the Sunderland game. When he doesn't score, he's terrible. He just stands there and let's Tiote do all the work, much like the description given of Guthrie.

And how can anyone make a judgement of how good Nolan is as a captain on and off the pitch? Nobody outside of the club has any idea how good he is.

:nope:

You're letting your hatred of Nolan destroy your otherwise decent reputation on here, if you can't see the obvious benefit that Nolan has brought to the club over the past 18months then you might want to take a step back and consider the club since Shearer retired :thup:

Also, you can not retort to Ronaldo with "I'm already grown up" :lol: daftie

I was unimpressed with Guthrie, he was ok but as usual his lack of physical presence was exposed and at times it felt like Tiote was doing it all on his own. One of the main reasons Sunderland beat Chelsea was because they pressed the midfield and got at Chelsea we  should have done the same but we just seemed content to sit back.

:thup:

I cannot see what he has done since the Sunderland game. I think he is very limited as a player.

I also think it's unfair to judge his ability as a captain (good or bad) as we don't know what happens behind closed doors.

It's not hatred at all, I've admitted that he's been a very effective goalscorer this season.

Anyone thought we missed Nolan today?

I don't think so, but just want to gauge the opinions on here. I don't think he would have offered something that we didn't have this game. This game needed something that I don't think any of our players currently have, bar maybe Ben Arfa, and we were always going to play this way against a good, dominant team like Chelsea.

I will say yes on the basis I thought Guthrie was poor and there was one moment in the first half when I thought "Nolan would have been there".

Don't know if you were at the game, but Guthrie was NOT poor by any means. He worked tirelessly and did not give the ball away under pressure against some world class players. Sometimes that work rate doesn't come across on a TV screen.

BTW this is not anti Nolan, he is still a very important player for us and I'd have fancied him to get on the end of Shola's knock down, but a defence for Guthrie who is potentially a very good central midfielder and did nowt wrong today.

I cannot see what he has done since the Sunderland game. I think he is very limited as a player.

I also think it's unfair to judge his ability as a captain (good or bad) as we don't know what happens behind closed doors.

It's not hatred at all, I've admitted that he's been a very effective goalscorer this season.

You not seeing the wood for the trees? Or choosing to ignore the patently obvious? What's been the recurring theme from players and staff alike since November/December last year?

You not seeing the wood for the trees? Or choosing to ignore the patently obvious? What's been the recurring theme from players and staff alike since November/December last year?

And how can that be put down to Nolan? and not Hughton? or the rest of the coaching staff? or the rest of the players?

All I'm saying is, we don't know everything that goes on so we can't know that he's a 'fantastic captain on and off the pitch'. He may well be, who knows.

And how can that be put down to Nolan? and not Hughton? or the rest of the coaching staff? or the rest of the players?

All I'm saying is, we don't know everything that goes on so we can't know that he's a 'fantastic captain on and off the pitch'. He may well be, who knows.

Right, so we don't know the ins and outs of exactly what goes on behind closed doors.

BUT, given what you've just said above, what do we know?

Right, so we don't know the ins and outs of exactly what goes on behind closed doors.

Whether a player is good enough on the pitch, or not.

Whether a player is good enough on the pitch, or not.

Hmm, not quite where I was going with that. How about asking yourself, given that you don't know the intricacies of the training ground and changing room chat, which part of the coaching staff might have an inkling?

Guest Heneage

I'm basing everything on what I've seen on the pitch this season.

For me the Guthrie v Nolan argument is simple. Both play fairly simple passes and look to keep possession, on occasion Guthrie will look to play a killer ball so in that sense he's more expansive with his passing than Nolan. The latter never takes freekicks so we can't compare their ability but we can at least give Guthrie credit that he can deliver a good ball on occasion, but that's his problem he's very inconsistent.

Neither are good athletes but Nolan is at least stronger than Guthrie. This is where Nolan overtakes him for me. Nolan for all his lack of pace and stamina organizes very well, he's incredibly vocal on the pitch constantly directing his team-mates Guthrie to my knowledge does very little of this he's very quiet. Goals are also a huge part of a midfielders game, sadly right now Guthrie looks highly unlikely to score, both from open play and even set pieces. Nolan for all his short comings has scored goals because he gets himself into good positions he reads the game very well another thing Guthrie struggles to do.

Neither are fantastic but Nolan gives us goals and good leadership something that is vital in this league. 

Great point, it's still very tight but apart from anymore freak injuries I think we'll be fine goal diference is in a good place too thanks to the Villa and Sunderland games.

Love how despite at the sh*t and speculation CH just keeps going about his buisness and getting things done.

Taking this game in the perspective of us being a newly promoted team missing six key players, playing against world class opposition it was a very good point today. Good to see Campbell looking so comfortable but there again class is permanent so they say.

Loved the "stand up if you beat Sundlund" chant from L7.

Guthrie has just about all of Nolan's weaknesses, sadly. In The Championship you can get away with a player who doesn't impose himself in a team dominating possession, but flip that over and you're basically down to 10 men.

It's a shame, he has lovely vision and a wand of a right foot when on form.

Jonas is one of the most frustrating players I've seen. He's got great close control in tight situations but when he's got space to run into and the chance to get at the centre of the opposition defence, as he did today, he seems to lose confidence and gives it away cheaply. And his shooting...