Newcastle United 1 - 1 Chelsea - 28/11/10 - post match reaction from page 27

Dave

I can't work out if Chelsea were there for the taking or not, we rarely seemed to get out of 1st gear (though neither did they).

They were in the first 20 minutes. After that, they took control back.

i think i missed routledge having a good game

Then you must have missed the match tbh mate. :lol:

what did he do?

Had a shot cleared off the line, played some decent crosses, provided width, supported Simpson well, relieved pressure with an out-ball. The width part is the most important for me.

i saw him tracking back at one point which i'd applaud. have a read back of what you've posted and ask if there's anything there that you wouldnt expect of him anyway, thats not a particularly good game, its just being on the pitch and not being s***. i saw him put one cross in, on the one occasion where he tried to take cole on. fair enough cole's a hell of a LB but he just doesnt try and get at people in this league which is his biggest problem

You've got to be kidding? Ashley Cole is a 'hell of a LB'? He's the best LB in the world, and Routledge provided him with enough problems. He definitely improved the way that we play offensively.

and there's a massive difference between being a hell of a left back and the best in the world is there? straw clutching there mate. what problems exactly? standing in front of him for a bit with the ball and then turning and passing inside? that's a full backs dream. i might accept that he 'improved the way we play offensively', i'm assuming you mean over barton? my point is he didnt do anything i would consider above average, for the whole game.

You're complaining about him having an 'average' game against the Champions and the best LB in the world because........?

i'm not complaining about it. i'm disagreeing with those that are saying he had a particularly good game. because........in my opinion he didnt do anything special.

Fair enough, I think your opinion is totally unfair like, but ok.

i've got no problem with that whatsoever mate. i just think the reaction to him today is more down to his ineffectiveness (word?) so far this season than to anything out of the ordinary he did today. i'd dearly like him to start providing the service we need but he doesnt seem to have the confidence to take people on, and i'm not just basing that on today's game.

Guthrie is good as backup, that is what he had to do today.  Still think he's horribly limited as a footballer though.

this. i'm all for bringing in someone to take his place in the squad but he should be kept on as back up. if we move on every player that isnt good enough for the first 11 we end up with a threadbare bench like we saw today.

guthrie had a decent match i thought, at least until he virtually disappeared in the last 20 odd minutes. whether that was due to an inherent lack of stamina or lack of gametime remains to be seen, though that has happened to him before.

technically he is quite good just he has no presence either physically or mentally. he should look at stuart holden who is quite small too but also technically good - he's probably even slighter than guthrie but he has a big presence in the middle of the pitch. guthrie just needs to be that bit more energetic and nimble and to maintain that bit of bite or edge. he did have this a few times in the first half but again, faded badly. if the game was played on a 5 a side pitch he'd be top class, as he constantly plays in this static position never moving a few yards either side of his position, usually going for the short pass. he always seems just a tad overwhelmed and inhibited when i watch him, even when he's playing well.

Routledge is frustrating as hell. I was certain he'd do well this season, but he seems to have no belief in his ability to beat his man 90% of the time. As a result he hesitates and nullifies any advantage his pace gives us.

If he had a bit of belief he'd be very effective for us.

I don't think there's any mystery about Guthrie. He's got some skill but he lacks strength and pace and is very easily muscled out of a challenge. That's what we saw today.

Sounds very much like the captain he replaced today.

Even after 20 minutes I noticed Guthrie just standing there whilst Tiote was looking for a pass, he made no effort to move into space for him. He was decent in the first half when he was on the ball, but that was it.

I'm going to stop going on about Guthrie now, I think my opinion of him is clear...

I don't think there's any mystery about Guthrie. He's got some skill but he lacks strength and pace and is very easily muscled out of a challenge. That's what we saw today.

Sounds very much like the captain he replaced today.

Except our captain scores goals and drives the rest of our team on and off the pitch....

Nolan has been woeful since the Sunderland game. When he doesn't score, he's terrible. He just stands there and let's Tiote do all the work, much like the description given of Guthrie.

Guest firetotheworks

Nolan has been woeful since the Sunderland game. When he doesn't score, he's terrible. He just stands there and let's Tiote do all the work, much like the description given of Guthrie.

There's no doubt that Tiote makes Nolan look a lot better, but Nolan was good against Arsenal, along with most of the rest.

Guthrie was ok until he ran out of steam (after 30 mins of each half) - thought routledge was decent and Saylor and Sol were excellent - chelsea are a class act just so quick to press and close down but, hell, I would have taken a point before the game - although we were overpowered at times through the middle it would have been terrifying to watch Mikkel and Ramires waltzing past Nolan and Smith - we did well

We weren't so hot but a point is more than good enough for this fixture. Particular credit should go to the central defenders for coming in so suddenly and doing a decent job. It'll be interesting to see which two end up sticking around after Liverpool.

We should be a much, much, much better team when Barton is back next week so very much looking forward to the six-pointer with West Brom.

Guest Heneage

I was unimpressed with Guthrie, he was ok but as usual his lack of physical presence was exposed and at times it felt like Tiote was doing it all on his own. One of the main reasons Sunderland beat Chelsea was because they pressed the midfield and got at Chelsea we  should have done the same but we just seemed content to sit back.