Newcastle United 1 - 1 Chelsea - 28/11/10 - post match reaction from page 27

Dave

Is anybody else hoping that Ashley Cole gets done retrospecively for karate-kicking Shola in the first-half?

It looked at least semi-accidental.

Don't think it was malicious.  Cole apologised immediately and it just looked a little careless.

I don't like Cole, or the imbalance in the system, but still.  That would be unfair if they got punished for that.

I said it earlier but just watching it back, our goal came from pressure in midfield, why we stopped that after the first goal is beyond me. Their team was strongest in attack, so inviting them on was playing into their hands.

The pressure in midfield came only from Tiote. Guthrie just dropped back into general spaces without pressuring anyone.

Is anybody else hoping that Ashley Cole gets done retrospecively for karate-kicking Shola in the first-half?

It looked at least semi-accidental.

Don't think it was malicious.  Cole apologised immediately and it just looked a little careless.

I don't like Cole, or the imbalance in the system, but still.  That would be unfair if they got punished for that.

my thoughts too

The amount of time and space that was given to Anelka, Malouda and Drogba was ridculous. Very happy with the point and they're a quality team but we've got to put more pressure on them than that.

wouldn't that time and space be partly down to their movement ?

Gave myself epilepsy watching this on the smallest fuzziest tv in existence but well worth it. Sat bck a bit too much for my liking at times and when we did get forawrd and played the high pressure game we looked dangerous. Few of the players looked to be wheezing toward the end, maybe we need to step up the fitness coaching.Guthries deliveries were on the whole pretty poor too.

I thought we were very, very fortunate to get the point. Sure Routledge's shot was the best chance of the second half, but Chelsea had so many and so much possession. They must feel that they dropped two points. 

I didn't think Guthrie was bad, he just didn't do anything that would want me to put in in the line up ahead of Nolan or Barton next to Tiote.

Routledge, on the other hand, was quite good. Before today I don't think he's shown much this season. We've been a better side with Barton out wide. But after today's performance I'd certainly like to see Routledge start again, with Barton moved into central midfield.

Happy with the performances from Campbell and S Taylor. Great performances all things considered: First starts, Taylor being out almost a year, up against Drogba, Anelka, Kalou.  Wouldn't mind seeing either starting league games. I really like Williamson, but he has started to make me really nervous: he's a red card, penalty in the box waiting to happen.

I thought we were very, very fortunate to get the point. Sure Routledge's shot was the best chance of the second half, but Chelsea had so many and so much possession. They must feel that they dropped two points. 

Really? I didn't see so many chances at all.

I'd rather Drogba gets done for his blatant attempt at cheating.

That was an absolute disgrace. I haven't seen the replays yet but the way Chelsea went on was typical bloody Italian play

The amount of time and space that was given to Anelka, Malouda and Drogba was ridculous. Very happy with the point and they're a quality team but we've got to put more pressure on them than that.

It's frustrating but it was the way we played for most of last season ie getting men behind the ball rather than pressuring the opposition further up the pitch. Hughton made the decision that we lacked the pace and power to match Chelsea in midfield.

At the end of the day we got the draw, and at least we have a manager who is prepared to take that kind of decision.

Possibly, but I think the fact that we had a perma-knackered Guthrie in the centre of the park and an invisible Ameobi on one of his Mr. Hyde days added to it as well. Not saying that we would have won, but if Barton or Nolan had been in midfield I imagine our counters would have been more direct and had more pace.

Tiote certainly always seemed to be pressing their midfield.

Possibly, but I think the fact that we had a perma-knackered Guthrie in the centre of the park and an invisible Ameobi on one of his Mr. Hyde days added to it as well. Not saying that we would have won, but if Barton or Nolan had been in midfield I imagine our counters would have been more direct and had more pace.

Tiote certainly always seemed to be pressing their midfield.

What annoyed me about Ameobi is that he was spouting all this bollocks in the Chronicle about defending from the front. And yet he rarely did any and if he did it was half hearted. He needs to look at AC's work rate. As well Ranger showed him up in my opinion in the short space he was on. Yes, he was only on for 20 minutes but he contributed in that time

Ranger made a positive impression when he came on. I'm not one of his biggest fans but the lad did well yesterday, closed down well and when he received the ball he was a nuiscance to them.

Better from him, keep it up!!

P.S. Shola was back to his worst yesterday...hmmm

Chelsea were there for the taking, but we sat back, let them get comfortable and we were second best after that. Shola had an absolute shocker, Routelege wouldn't take on his man and we became very tired mid way through the second half. Hughton should have have made 2 substitutions with 20 mins to go as we were treading water.

If they'd had either Essien or Lampard we would have been ripped to shreds.

wouldn't that time and space be partly down to their movement ?

Partly yeah. The Sunderland midfield didn't give them the space we did though.

I'm not complaining about the result or performance it was just a bit frustrating seeing us back off time and again and let quality players run at us without any pressure.  :thup:

I thought it was a decent tactic TBH, you could see the likes of Anelka were getting frustrated, dropping deeper and deeper to get involved in play.

Without their main midfielders they actually don't have the ability to hurt teams from deep positions that much IMO, not sure why Lawro was going on about it on MOTD.

I thought it was a decent tactic TBH, you could see the likes of Anelka were getting frustrated, dropping deeper and deeper to get involved in play.

Without their main midfielders they actually don't have the ability to hurt teams from deep positions that much IMO, not sure why Lawro was going on about it on MOTD.

The tactic worked so I suppose it was fair enough. It was seeing the likes of Anelka and Malouda dropping deeper and getting involved which was the frustrating part! They looked dangerous when they did it and started opening us up in the last 15 mins or so.

The end justifies the means though.  :thup:

Tiote was marvellous again yesterday. Couldn't believe he got booked :/

He is the only player i get really worried about when he's booked. Is that 7 he's had now?

I can't believe how often he gets booked, for a player who isn't dirty at all. It's bizarre.

He commits lots of niggling fouls, they all add up in a ref's mind.