Newcastle United 1 - 1 Chelsea - 28/11/10 - post match reaction from page 27

Dave

Anyone thought we missed Nolan today?

I don't think so, but just want to gauge the opinions on here. I don't think he would have offered something that we didn't have this game. This game needed something that I don't think any of our players currently have, bar maybe Ben Arfa, and we were always going to play this way against a good, dominant team like Chelsea.

I will say yes on the basis I thought Guthrie was poor and there was one moment in the first half when I thought "Nolan would have been there".

Well played lads. Especially the center halves and Routledge who came in and did brilliantly.

We were always going to be up against it, but a shame we couldn't have done more with set pieces. That's what could have given us a win.

Still, a great point all the same!

I don't think so, but just want to gauge the opinions on here. I don't think he would have offered something that we didn't have this game. This game needed something that I don't think any of our players currently have, bar maybe Ben Arfa, and we were always going to play this way against a good, dominant team like Chelsea. We're always going to play this way against the best teams in the league which is why I think Nolan is superfluous when we need to play as a team like that.

Hard to say, as he'd probably have played instead of Ameobi who wasted some good opportunities.

I don't think so, but just want to gauge the opinions on here. I don't think he would have offered something that we didn't have this game. This game needed something that I don't think any of our players currently have, bar maybe Ben Arfa, and we were always going to play this way against a good, dominant team like Chelsea. We're always going to play this way against the best teams in the league which is why I think Nolan is superfluous when we need to play as a team like that.

It would have been nice to have him on in the last 20-25 minutes, Guthrie was completely gone by then.

Guest palnese

What did Guthrie and Shola do to get 4's? They were both 2 at the most.

Guthrie was pretty decent. Played some nice one-touch football in the first half.

What did Guthrie and Shola do to get 4's? They were both 2 at the most.

Guthrie was pretty decent. Played some nice one-touch football in the first half.

Settle yourself, Guthrie poor with his set pieces but was good enough tbh.

Not at all tbh. He's good when he scores, that's long been established. If we lost Guthrie and put Nolan in, half the play we produced wouldn't have happened. Probably would've seemed like playing with 10 men.

I don't think so, but just want to gauge the opinions on here. I don't think he would have offered something that we didn't have this game. This game needed something that I don't think any of our players currently have, bar maybe Ben Arfa, and we were always going to play this way against a good, dominant team like Chelsea.

I will say yes on the basis I thought Guthrie was poor and there was one moment in the first half when I thought "Nolan would have been there".

The funny thing is that Nolan is our only CM who seems to offer support to our strikers, but he's only able to do that because he doesn't contribute in defence at all. He's basically parked in the space and looking to get onto the second ball. It's a good thing and a bad thing because he seems to pop up with goals but it also means he's completely invisible in matches where we start passing it around/need to defend as a team.

I actually thought the same when Ameobi nodded it down and no one was there to tap it in. Nolan would have been there, imo, but we'd also have been totally raped in midfield - even more than we were - if he had played.