Newcastle United 1 - 1 Chelsea - 28/11/10 - post match reaction from page 27

Dave

Despite a couple of decent passes and tackles ,I wasn't impressed with guthrie. Not only does he have no pace but he slows the play right down so frequently. He's often lazy and just stands around waiting for the ball.My patience is up with him to be honest,I thought there was some potential in there when I first saw him,but I don't like seeing him in our team now.

Guest neesy111

I thought Guthrie started well, but faded. Lacks the stamina and pace to sit in there full time, IMO. As for Shola - didn't look fit to me.

Agreed about Guthrie.  We missed Nolan's link-up with the strikers today, Carroll was very isolated up-front.

The majority of the time that we gave possession away in the 2nd half was down to Guthrie. Thought he very poor. He's very careless with his passes.

Also, he offered us nothing in terms of closing down, hassling or any sort of defensive work which saw us become easily overpowered by Chelsea in midfield. Thank goodness for Tiote.

I for one hope Guthrie is sold.

The majority of the time that we gave possession away in the 2nd half was down to Guthrie. Thought he very poor. He's very careless with his passes.

Also, he offered us nothing in terms of closing down, hassling or any sort of defensive work which saw us become easily overpowered by Chelsea in midfield. Thank goodness for Tiote.

I for one hope Guthrie is sold.

So we were overpowered in midfield because of Guthrie? :lol: This lad can do no right in some eyes.

Agreed, due to Shola

I thought Guthrie started well, but faded. Lacks the stamina and pace to sit in there full time, IMO. As for Shola - didn't look fit to me.

Agreed about Guthrie.  We missed Nolan's link-up with the strikers today, Carroll was very isolated up-front.

Agreed, due to Shola not looking fit. We need to find a regular partner for Carroll in the long term, as well as improving our play from wide areas. No sense in having a quality big man if you've got wingers who are more miss than hit.

A very nice point against a very bad Chelsea team. Enrique played a super match and Carroll was all over the pitch. But Jonas, PLAY THE BALL FFS and especially in the end when Ranger could have made a good run at goal. Campbell was a bit rusty and didn’t look to good at their good. AND please make Tiote captain when Nolan isn’t playing!!

You kinda hope for more when Chelsea are playing so shity  :coolsmiley:

Can't be anything but happy with that. Decent performance and with Barton and hopefully Nolan back for West Brom its a good confidence boost.

Krul 6 - Unlucky on goal, rarely tested.

Simpson 7 - Very solid performance, looks to be improving

Taylor 7 - Decent run out on his first game back.

Campbell 7 - Solid dependable head which was required in that type of game.

Enrique 8 - Once again, a top player, in this case Malouda, is completely stifled by Enrique.

Routledge 8 - Best performance of the year from him, did pretty well against the best LB in the world.

Tiote 8 - Cracking as always, bossed the midfield in that spell in the second half when we were on top.

Guthrie 5 - Competitive, but provided little in the way of creativity.

Jonas 6.5 - Full of running and effort and linked up well with Jose. Decent shift.

Carroll 7 - Won everything in the air and showed good anticipation for the goal, shame there was no one running on to his flick ons.

Shola 4 - Very poor today, little movement and didn't look confident going forward.

Ranger 6 - Looks better each time I see him, strong and causes problems with his pace. Definitely better than Lovenkrands and remember he's only 19, will continue to get better with experience.

i think i missed routledge having a good game

Then you must have missed the match tbh mate. :lol:

what did he do?

Had a shot cleared off the line, played some decent crosses, provided width, supported Simpson well, relieved pressure with an out-ball. The width part is the most important for me.

i saw him tracking back at one point which i'd applaud. have a read back of what you've posted and ask if there's anything there that you wouldnt expect of him anyway, thats not a particularly good game, its just being on the pitch and not being s***. i saw him put one cross in, on the one occasion where he tried to take cole on. fair enough cole's a hell of a LB but he just doesnt try and get at people in this league which is his biggest problem

You've got to be kidding? Ashley Cole is a 'hell of a LB'? He's the best LB in the world, and Routledge provided him with enough problems. He definitely improved the way that we play offensively.

and there's a massive difference between being a hell of a left back and the best in the world is there? straw clutching there mate. what problems exactly? standing in front of him for a bit with the ball and then turning and passing inside? that's a full backs dream. i might accept that he 'improved the way we play offensively', i'm assuming you mean over barton? my point is he didnt do anything i would consider above average, for the whole game.

Guest Ridzuan

Well, after that 5-1 drubbing last weekend against Bolton, I would take a draw against the champions. Wasnt a great team performance, but we battle hard and Chelsea was a little bit fortunate to get the goal. Had we managed to prevent it, we could have taken the 3 points. My MOTM have to be Tiote. Once again, he dominated the midfield. Just show you how how we missed him against Bolton and what an important player he is turning out to be for us. Nice to see Carroll scoring again, hopefully he can challenge Berbatov and Tevez for the golden boot this season. A win against West Brom next weekend would be nice, and with Barton coming back, things should be looking good for us.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

A very nice point against a very bad Chelsea team. Enrique played a super match and Carroll was all over the pitch. But Jonas, PLAY THE BALL FFS and especially in the end when Ranger could have made a good run at goal. Campbell was a bit rusty and didn’t look to good at their good. AND please make Tiote captain when Nolan isn’t playing!!

You kinda hope for more when Chelsea are playing so shity  :coolsmiley:

Tiote doesn't strike me as a leader tbh.

Despite a couple of decent passes and tackles ,I wasn't impressed with guthrie. Not only does he have no pace but he slows the play right down so frequently. He's often lazy and just stands around waiting for the ball.My patience is up with him to be honest,I thought there was some potential in there when I first saw him,but I don't like seeing him in our team now.

Sums up everything I thought about him previously and rubber stamped today. For a relatively young player he seems to have the lungs of a pensioner. Dominated and bullied by the Chelsea midfield.

Sums up everything I thought about him previously and rubber stamped today. For a relatively young player he seems to have the lungs of a pensioner. Dominated and bullied by the Chelsea midfield.

He's never been the athletic type, similar to Nolan in that respect. You just never feel that they're as fit as they probably could be.

People keep saying "dominated and bullied by the Chelsea midfield" as if they're saying "dominated and bullied by the Woking midfield".

Regardless of injuries, he was playing against the champions. Taking that into account, I think he had a pretty good game. It seems it's impossible to pay Guthrie a compliment on this forum however.

Guest firetotheworks

i think i missed routledge having a good game

Then you must have missed the match tbh mate. :lol:

what did he do?

Had a shot cleared off the line, played some decent crosses, provided width, supported Simpson well, relieved pressure with an out-ball. The width part is the most important for me.

i saw him tracking back at one point which i'd applaud. have a read back of what you've posted and ask if there's anything there that you wouldnt expect of him anyway, thats not a particularly good game, its just being on the pitch and not being s***. i saw him put one cross in, on the one occasion where he tried to take cole on. fair enough cole's a hell of a LB but he just doesnt try and get at people in this league which is his biggest problem

You've got to be kidding? Ashley Cole is a 'hell of a LB'? He's the best LB in the world, and Routledge provided him with enough problems. He definitely improved the way that we play offensively.

and there's a massive difference between being a hell of a left back and the best in the world is there? straw clutching there mate. what problems exactly? standing in front of him for a bit with the ball and then turning and passing inside? that's a full backs dream. i might accept that he 'improved the way we play offensively', i'm assuming you mean over barton? my point is he didnt do anything i would consider above average, for the whole game.

You're complaining about him having an 'average' game against the Champions and the best LB in the world because........?

People keep saying "dominated and bullied by the Chelsea midfield" as if they're saying "dominated and bullied by the Woking midfield".

The rest of the midfield handled them fine, Guthrie was definitely the weak link. I don't think he was awful, but he wasn't very good.

The rest of the midfield handled them fine, Guthrie was definitely the weak link. I don't think he was awful, but he wasn't very good.

So Guthrie isn't as good as Jonas or Tiote? Well we all knew that. Nolan and Barton wouldn't have done much better in that CM space today.

So Guthrie isn't as good as Jonas or Tiote? Well we all knew that. Nolan and Barton wouldn't have done much better in that CM space today.

I disagree. Guthrie's passing was poor, as well as his touch. Just not a very good game. A quicker Barton and more physical Nolan probably would've done much better in my eye's, a lot of Guthrie's mistakes didn't come down to Chelsea being good, they came down to Guthrie.