*OFFICIAL* HUGHTON SACKED

Skirge

Both well worth a listen if you haven't already: -

Carver fury after Hughton dismissal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/9262221.stm

Colin Calderwood shocked by Chris Hughton sacking

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/9262152.stm

I would advise everyone not to listen to these, left me totally fuming at the sheer outrageousness of the situation.

:angry:

Its been difficult holding this in at work all day, so here it goes.

This club disgusts me. If I supported somebody else, I know I would hate this club so much. To sack a wonderful man like Hughton who has done above and beyond his duty in this manner is pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. It’s completely the wrong decision. For 18 months, I’ve supported a happy, stable club full of likable people and this anti-Newcastle was a breath of fresh air. And suddenly, like déjà vu, the clouds are back. This haunting flashback to relegation year is reprehensible and after recent weeks, we’re gonners now. And to be honest this board deserves to be relegated. We’re falling apart at the seams.

Chris, you’re a great great man and thanks for the memories. You’re better off without us and I wish you the very best in everything you do. A wonderful man.  :clap: I wonder how Enrique, Tiote, Nolan, Ben Arfa, Carroll, Jonas etc are feeling....

And to all those around the world that laugh at NUFC, you’re absolutely right. This club will always be a joke. So keep on laughing. I wish I could. With today’s news and the FIFA debacle, I’m just so so sick of football right now. Never felt like this before.  :weep:

All in all, just a horrible, terrible day.

NUFC.COMs take:

So there is a plan?

Three and a half years after taking control of the club, Mike Ashley has jettisoned a fourth manager - Chris Hughton following Sam Allardyce, Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer in making a one way trip up Barrack Road.

Our own take on Hughton never really changed much - a seemingly decent and honourable bloke whose public statements were routinely bland. That in itself came as something of a relief though, following the bare-faced lies of slack-jawed, FA charge-incurring predecessor, JFK.

His own conduct and manner differed markedly from other managers and there was satisfaction to be had from the fact that someone who wasn't a) a former player b) local and c) white, became a popular figure amongst many supporters who were initially ambivalent and/or sceptical.

That's one in the eye for messrs Souness/Allardyce and their self-justifying accusations of small-minded regional insularity and our alleged "Messiah" complex. 

As a manager, he deserves praise for gaining promotion at the first attempt and in some style. From then on though, he and Colin Calderwood came into the unproven category and we'd be lying if we said we were particularly bothered about exit now - it's the identity of his successor that has long been of more over-riding concern to us. 

Hughton's apparent popularity among the squad led to question marks over the level of discipline, while the matter of player signings also opened up a debate over his level of involvement in the club's transfer dealings.

It's yet to be established whether the likes of Leon Best were Hughton signings, or further examples of the deals that brought Xisco and Gonzalez to Tyneside. But even if Hughton did enjoy full authority on acquisitions, then his hand was certainly forced by the financial stringencies he was made to work under - and influenced by a desire to try and retain players he deemed as pivotal.

And now, for reasons that may or may not ever be explained, the time has come to do what always looked inevitable. In reality, Chris was undemanding, restrained and as a consequence easy to get rid of - the safe pair of hands to a club with a long history of loose cannons. For that reason alone, swapping "interim" for "permanent" on his job title always looked like a cosmetic exercise.

However, his removal surely cannot be based only on the events at The Hawthorns on Sunday - we've been in far worse plights (and league positions) than that, plus the mood of the away crowd could in no way be interpreted as agitating for the manager's head.

The opening of the transfer window in just over three weeks time (and the opportunity for ourselves and other clubs to alter their UEFA squad lists) seems to be a more telling stat than that defeat.

Those at Goodison Park will doubtless be guffawing more about the situation Dan Gosling now finds himself in, while the future of Hatem Ben Arfa remains open to question, despite his recent "I love the Toon" public comments.

Rumours and betting whispers built to a crescendo when Hughton returned to his native East London - with the out-of-work Alan Pardew strongly linked at that point.

However victory at Upton Park and the wins over the mackems and Arsenal that then followed saw pundits hacks demanding a new deal for Hughton, rather than proclaiming him to be on borrowed time.

After failing to win any of their last five games though, maybe now the club are convinced that Hughton has peaked and feel that the increasingly downbeat mood is more opportune to wheel out their new man. It's not like them to giving a toss about what others think though...

Our opinion remains that Hughton over-achieved, given the financial constraints placed on him and the dressing room issues he inherited. Certainly it's hard to make a case for more high profile bosses to have emulated him.

However, we harboured long-term reservations in much the same way as the Glenn Roeder appointment - a ready -made fall guy/patsy. "No risk Chris" was our assessment at the time, but we hardly envisaged he'd remain in post for so long. There again, neither did he, if you go back to his soundbites before the start of the 2009/10 season.

For United to now decide that what Hughton gave them no longer sufficed would logically mean that finance was forthcoming for the new appointee to enjoy a larger salary, longer contract, more control over staffing and significant squad investment.

If that proves not to be the case and a replacement is unveiled that to the average punter looks no different to Hughton, then the anger would surely be felt, for all the sympathy that's rightly evident for the jilted Hughton.

For those who subscribe to the theory that Ashley thrives on conflict this seems to be yet another instance of him inverting the Geordie snowshaker - just when the "FCB" and "he don't care about me" chants had subsided.

While seeing the SJP exit door swinging open again will inevitably lead to contemplation of previous exits, our initial reaction was to think of what happened with the smoggies, who disposed of that nice Gareth Southgate - and have been stuck firmly in reverse ever since.

So, 900+ words to basically say, "f*ck knows".

Dont agree at all really

Guest thenorthumbrian

Am I allowed to cry?

It should be compulsory.

United find it easy to sack managers, they seem to find it harder to appoint good ones.

In Hughton they had someone who had won the respect of the fans, not easy in itself.

I have no faith in the fat cockney bastard to now make a decision which will prove to be in the long term interests of the club. 

Not much in that article from .com really, don't see the point they're making.

If Hughton's problem was that he was a 'yes man', then why was that? And why would Ashley now appoint someone who isn't one?

Are we supposed to believe he's now ready to spend the money needed to move us into the European places and is just looking for the right manager to give the cheque book to?

Its been difficult holding this in at work all day, so here it goes.

This club disgusts me. If I supported somebody else, I know I would hate this club so much. To sack a wonderful man like Hughton who has done above and beyond his duty in this manner is pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. It’s completely the wrong decision. For 18 months, I’ve supported a happy, stable club full of likable people and this anti-Newcastle was a breath of fresh air. And suddenly, like déjà vu, the clouds are back. This haunting flashback to relegation year is reprehensible and after recent weeks, we’re gonners now. And to be honest this board deserves to be relegated. We’re falling apart at the seams.

Chris, you’re a great great man and thanks for the memories. You’re better off without us and I wish you the very best in everything you do. A wonderful man.  :clap: I wonder how Enrique, Tiote, Nolan, Ben Arfa, Carroll, Jonas etc are feeling....

And to all those around the world that laugh at NUFC, you’re absolutely right. This club will always be a joke. So keep on laughing. I wish I could. With today’s news and the FIFA debacle, I’m just so so sick of football right now. Never felt like this before.  :weep:

All in all, just a horrible, terrible day.

Sums up my feelings.

Bad craic from .com iyam. Hate this attitude that because Hughton was unproven, he was always going to be unproven. Is it too much to ask that a manager could become a success with us (KK?), rather than become a success elsewhere then be asked to recreate it under different conditions?

What retarded logic is that? It's like selling Andy Carroll because of a lack of experience.

Bad craic from .com iyam. Hate this attitude that because Hughton was unproven, he was always going to be unproven. Is it too much to ask that a manager could become a success with us, rather than become a success elsewhere then be asked to recreate it under different conditions?

What retarded logic is that? It's like selling Andy Carroll because of a lack of experience.

Exactly mate, total nonsense.

Hughton could have been the next Fergie for all we know. We're never going to develop young English managers if things like this happen to them. I'm right behind the LMA in objecting to this, it's scandalous.

So sick of clubs chossing from the same old pool of managers over and over again.

What worries more than anything is the fact that no self resoecting manager would want ot work at Newcastle with these two at the helm. Unless, of course, Ashley has now decided to put his hand in his pocket and domsomething in January.

Waiting with dread to see who they put in his place.

Well done Chris, brought respectability back and for that alone it was worth it! :clap:

Kind of shocked at this (mostly just angry and sad), I felt that Chris did a decent job, and a good enough job for us to at least stay up and maybe even finish the season in a comfortable mid-table spot. But then again, Ashley really knows how to fuck things up. Very worried now that we are going to get relegated, especially if the players liked Hughton as much as they said they were. I do not at all trust Ashley and Llambias to appoint a manager capable of doing a better job than Hughton has done, and the experience thing does not necessarily mean we will get a successful manager, I am thinking more like a typical under-achieving drifter who there are so many of in this game.

Anyway, thank you Chris Hughton for getting us up in the Premiership again, and for giving us some fantastic and memorable moments, both in terms of performances and some great signings.

Bad craic from .com iyam. Hate this attitude that because Hughton was unproven, he was always going to be unproven. Is it too much to ask that a manager could become a success with us (KK?), rather than become a success elsewhere then be asked to recreate it under different conditions?

indeed. Very strange article.

true faith take on events...

As is only right and proper, the first thing this gobshite fanzine should do is to register its thanks to Chris Hughton. Like many I had reservations of Chris’ suitability for the post and after publishing a cover with our new departed manager as a puppet of Ashley (a cover I regret and apologise for) it ill befits me to suggest I was in any way a loyal supplicant to Hughton. Whatever the rights or wrongs of Chris Hughton’s dismissal it would be extremely churlish to do anything other than register heartfelt appreciation for the job the man did at Newcastle United.

Chris Hughton will be judged as a very good servant of Newcastle United Football Club. Let us not forget where the club was when he picked up the reins. We had been relegated, Ashley wanted out, Shearer wanted the job, there was a pool of demoralised players and a fretful support bewildered at what was going to happen to our club following relegation in May 09. Into that Hughton built something. The first job was to stop the rot and with the support of senior players, not dissimilar to SBR ten years previously, Hughton did that with a team spirit and sense of purpose which took us to promotion and a title win. Our return to the PL at the first time of asking was absolutely vital. Hughton had little money to spend over his tenure but I feel in Williamson, Tiote and Simpson he has invested well for the future. The jury is out on Best and Routledge but his role in the development of Andy Carroll cannot be understated.

This season, the team has had mixed fortunes but after 16 games we have 19 points, which is not too far from where we want to be. He has done this despite, it seems, being undermined by his bosses firstly with media tales of Ashley looking for a successor and latterly by being unable to replace his lieutenant, Colin Calderwood, now at Hibs. Really when Chris was prevented from appointing a seemingly willing Steve Clarke, the writing was on the wall.

And now to the meat of it...

Is Ashley right to dismiss Hughton? Frankly, it is too early to say. If there’s one thing we know about change at United, it is that sacking managers is the really easy bit. The bit that the club has only really got right on two occasions in the last 40 years is appointing managers. Ashley stumbled over Hughton. This is a real test of Ashley’s credentials - found to be sadly lacking in football terms over the tumultuous three years he has spent as owner of our club. This is where he can prove he knows what he’s doing and inspire some confidence going forward. Get it wrong and the club could go into a tailspin. Remember there has been no clamour from Mags to remove Hughton. Indeed, the support has remained solidly behind a man it has broadly come to like and respect. There are no delusions on Barrack Road these days. If there ever were. Mags know this season is all about survival and we were happy to engage with that project for the long term future of our club. This sacking is all of Ashley’s making. There was no pressure from Mags. Chris Hughton has not been howled out of Gallowgate like Souness was and the most common emotion I’ve come across is incredulity at Hughton’s departure and a sadness we have broken a bond with a man of quiet dignity who got the job done. A man who was honest, a bull-shit free zone and a man who will be welcomed back here any time.

On the face of it there is potential in this decision for the club to move forward. After all, a new manager could be in-situ ahead of the January transfer window opening rather than closing as has been custom and practice on Barrack Road in recent seasons. If that manager is of the quality, say of a Martin O’Neill and is correctly resourced and is operating to a realistic plan then we should have hope for the future. If Hughton is replaced by an Alan Pardew, Curbishley, O’Leary or God forbid, Joe Kinnear happy to make non-football decisions at the instruction of his boss, then we will know emphatically the club is going absolutely nowhere.

Once again, the club is at a crossroads.

But finally on behalf of everyone associated with true faith may we wish Chris Hughton all of the success in his professional life and happiness for his family in the future.

Thank You.

Keep On, Keepin’ On...

indeed. Very strange article.

Dont see what they have said wrong, its not gushing over Hughton and they are repeating what they said way back.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Had no idea you worked on True Faith, binnsy :) Might buy it more often now, always wanted you to post on here more.