Alan Pardew

JH

I just don't understand it.

Why would you support a club and spend all day critisising it? Even if it is going through a black period?

And by the way i've been around this forum long enough to note that most of those who are negative, were negative long before Ashley arrived.

HOW CAN YOU BE POSITIVE ABOUT THIS REGIME.

i love this club

i hate what ashley is doing with it

simple really.

soz about caps, couldnt be arsed to re type it after i realised.

This basically

So all those talking about the club lacking ambition, what do you suggest we do? Kill Ashley? Not go to the games? Boycoutt? Protest? What?

Most are well aware of the lack of ambition but simply don't want to admit it. You know why? It's because they/we believe staying positive my give us some little hope, that things might change in the future.

How would that work?

http://photovalet.com/data/comps/PCF/PCFV01P10_14.jpg

:troll:

I'd rather have my head in the sand than up my own arse. Being negative doesn't make you a better fan, just a better moaner.

I know man, I was on the wind up. I have myself down as one of the more positive posters roaming these boards.

So all those talking about the club lacking ambition, what do you suggest we do? Kill Ashley? Not go to the games? Boycoutt? Protest? What?

Most are well aware of the lack of ambition but simply don't want to admit it. You know why? It's because they/we believe staying positive my give us some little hope, that things might change in the future.

How would that work?

http://photovalet.com/data/comps/PCF/PCFV01P10_14.jpg

:troll:

I'd rather have my head in the sand than up my own arse. Being negative doesn't make you a better fan, just a better moaner.

I know man, I was on the wind up. I have myself down as one of the more positive posters roaming these boards.

Sorry mate, didn't sense the sarcasm. I just expect everyone to be negative these days.... shit does that make me negative ;)

Why would you support a club and spend all day critisising it? Even if it is going through a black period?

And by the way i've been around this forum long enough to note that most of those who are negative, were negative long before Ashley arrived.

Tbf, back when you registered, we had Souness in charge as manager.....

I've always wondered what this place was like before then? Don't think there are many left from that era though.

Got to say mind there's a lot of usually excellent posters starting to grate on me with their inane, unrelenting negativity. I'm hardly happy with the summer myself, but this place has become unbearable recently. Can't wait for us to be playing football games again, atleast then at the worst it gives us something substantial to moan about and pick apart till the cows come home.

:thup:

I think we've had a pretty decent summer when it comes to transfers. Obviously not as good as it should have been, but Cabaye and Ba especially should be two terrific signings. Cabaye looks just like the sort of player that I love to watch, and Ba's record is very good and is a decent replacement for Carroll. The problem is that we needed a striker in January as well, before selling Carroll.

As for Pardew, I quite like him. He's doing the best job he can, and I echo what people have said that we'd be proper fucked if he were to resign.

I tell you what I find disagreeable about this whole business. We are in a thread about Pardew and he is getting hammered for things which are out of his hands like lack of spending. The lack of spending is something I'm in agreement with btw, I also think we could have a really good season if we pulled our fingers out and signed a couple of key players. But if it isn't happening I don't see how slagging Pardew off for it is going to help.

I've always wondered what this place was like before then? Don't think there are many left from that era though.

I know that some negative feelings (well by me anyway) started cropping up in the 2003/04 season judging from, well, when I posted on 606 that year. Not sure what the old N-O forum's feelings were but I imagine it would have been somewhat similar to 606.....

How would that work?

I might not, that's the point but i'd rather be as positive as possible in order to enjoy as much of football as possible. The way half this forum goes on you'd think they were on the verge of slitting their wrists. Not that this forum is in anyway an indicator of your average Newcastle fan.

From what I read elsewhere, generally this forum is notoriously positive about the Ashley tenure. :lol:

TT is way more cynical. Think there's about 2 positivists amongst the 40 odd regulars...

That would be because everything has been pretty negative since SBR left in 2004 :razz:

That would be because everything has been pretty negative since SBR left in 2004 :razz:

Yup, its been down hill since then... although I tried to stay positive but Ashley has destroyed my hope, well Ashley & this place.

Typing like a monkey and trolling aside I'll give my two pennies worth on the situation Pardew finds himself in.

I don't know if the bloke is being fed a yarn or whether he's a bare faced liar but what is clear is if it wasn't the case before he is now fully aware of the situation he finds himself in. He has to delicately balance sensibly investing the shoe string budget the higher ups have provided him with while trying to convey sufficient ambition to fans and players alike. I think the tension between the two means both are not possible and therefore it's difficult to take his word too literally. Personally, I honestly think he was burnt by the Carroll deal. Of course it's just speculation but he made promises about Carroll and the cash generated from his sale and he was sold contrary to those guarantees. I now think he is reluctant to commit to promises he may not be able to keep due to the actions of the board. He knows they won't invest substantially so he's not promising too much too soon.

We've bought some good players this summer. Things of course could be better still if we throw a bit of money about but Pardew has little control over that. He has to progress with the money he has been given. It's difficult to tell how the league will pan out this year but if it's anything like last there will be a pack of teams in the middle filling anywhere from 8th-14th, last season we were one of those sides. For me at least, progress this season would be avoiding that melee and convincingly finishing in the top half ala Everton. With the size of that squad it would require good luck on the injury front but if we can keep our best 13/14 I see no reason why we cannot achieve that.

Of course, the jury is still out on Pardew's managerial ability. Last season he took over in a difficult situation and managed a reasonable finish with an extremely limited strike force and he deserves credit for that. Hopefully the addition of Ba and another will go some way to addressing this and this will see us push on a bit. Looking at us and looking at Everton I see no reason why we cannot give them a good run for that seventh spot. Of course Moyes is a far superior manager to Pardew but if he can somehow keep the camp fit, happy and confident we might just surprise a few this season, despite the chronic lack of investment.

I tell you what I find disagreeable about this whole business. We are in a thread about Pardew and he is getting hammered for things which are out of his hands like lack of spending. The lack of spending is something I'm in agreement with btw, I also think we could have a really good season if we pulled our fingers out and signed a couple of key players. But if it isn't happening I don't see how slagging Pardew off for it is going to help.

Pardew makes himself part of the lack of spending problem by commenting on it constantly, even setting himself/the club a new deadline every other week for those "one or hopefully two" players. He's making a rod for his own back with a lot of things he's saying regarding transfers, which is stupid if he has no actual say.

How would that work?

I might not, that's the point but i'd rather be as positive as possible in order to enjoy as much of football as possible. The way half this forum goes on you'd think they were on the verge of slitting their wrists. Not that this forum is in anyway an indicator of your average Newcastle fan.

From what I read elsewhere, generally this forum is notoriously positive about the Ashley tenure. :lol:

TT is way more cynical. Think there's about 2 positivists amongst the 40 odd regulars...

and they had a numerous paged post trying to get rid of one of them because his positive approach was deemed as being a wum :lol:

Pardew makes himself part of the lack of spending problem by commenting on it constantly, even setting himself/the club a new deadline every other week for those "one or hopefully two" players. He's making a rod for his own back with a lot of things he's saying regarding transfers, which is stupid if he has no actual say.

Do you think there's a way he could have handled this better other than hand in his resignation?

Do you think there's a way he could have handled this better other than hand in his resignation?

The Hughton approach, in hindsight, was perfect. He knew little about the transfer negotiations so he didn't comment on them too much. No need to build our hopes up with that "off our seats" nonsense then go on to be in profit less than a week before the first game.

The Hughton approach, in hindsight, was perfect. He knew little about the transfer negotiations so he didn't comment on them too much. No need to build our hopes up with that "off our seats" nonsense then go on to be in profit less than a week before the first game.

I don't think Pardew's said a lot wrong, in fact the only people who are picking up on this are those who see him as part of Ashley's crew and therefore part of the problem. In which case he could talk or keep his trap shut, it would make no difference, he'd still be a spiv cunt.

For the record I think he's bought some exciting players, although whether that will translate into a good team we'll have to see.

Guest BooBoo

I like The Prophet's sensibly realistic post above.

I dunno whether I'm being overly pessimistic or maybe I've just had my fingers burnt too often with Ashley, but I've a horrible feeling the season is going to be a huge struggle. The strange thing is we're only one decent signing away from making me feel a lot more optimistic. I think Ba could be a decent addition but we're going to rely on him a hell of a lot as it stands. Our other strikers at best (no pun) will chip in 5 or 6 goals each and we don't have a single midfielder with a great scoring record. Really cant see the likes of Cabaye, HBA, Jonas and Marveaux getting more than 4 or 5 each. Up front we look weak. At the back, if the worst comes to the worst and we have to blood Ferguson then I think we could just about get away with it. Up front though, a decent striker is the difference between relegation and comfortable mid table.

Storm clouds gather over Newcastle as Alan Pardew plots purist path

• Pre-season marred by money problems and Joey Barton saga

• Alan Pardew sees Yohan Cabaye as central to his purist vision

Louise Taylor

guardian.co.uk, Sunday 7 August 2011 22.01 BST

Article history

Yohan Cabaye, Newcastle United's £4.5m summer signing from Lille, is central to Alan Pardew's plans for the new season. Photograph: Chris Brunskill/Getty Images

As pre-seasons go, Newcastle United's has not been the smoothest. First their opening friendly at Darlington was scarred by crowd violence, then three players were denied visas for a tour of the United States and those who did cross the Atlantic endured a punishing travel schedule involving nine flights in 10 days.

Back in England, Joey Barton's frustrations erupted on Twitter and a tentative peace deal appears far from formalised. Meanwhile Cheick Tioté is stuck in Ivory Coast waiting for his UK visa to be renewed and Hatem Ben Arfa remains at a sports injury rehabilitation centre in Paris having a troublesome ankle assessed.

So it seemed somehow symbolic that the club's dress rehearsal against Fiorentina at St James' Park on Saturday was abandoned goalless after 64 minutes due to a waterlogged pitch.

Indeed, it was tempting to regard the apocalyptic storm as a microcosm of wider turmoil. Although Mike Ashley's retail business has recently boomed and its staff have received generous share windfalls, the current international financial crisis has led to £200m being wiped off the stockmarket valuation of the Newcastle owner's Sports Direct empire.

Such a plummet is hardly likely to encourage the man ranked the 655th richest in the world to hand Alan Pardew the bulk of the £35m received from Liverpool for Andy Carroll in January.

Instead Newcastle's manager – who appreciates Ashley has invested £286m in buying and then keeping Newcastle afloat during his first three years at St James' – accepts he must make do and mend.

While Pardew is close to completing a £3m deal for Manchester United's Gabriel Obertan and has been promised the funds to buy another striker this month, he knows he cannot spend his way to success.

"People have to buy into what Newcastle United is all about," said Pardew, whose side entertain Arsenal on Saturday. "We don't have the riches of other clubs. That is obvious. Sometimes you have to accept things and work as hard as you can with what you have got.

"Since I've been here that's what we've done and that's how it needs to be every game; every player needs to be focused on trying to overachieve because, if we don't, we won't be good enough."

At least in Yohan Cabaye, a £4.5m France international summer signing from Lille, he looks to have identified the playmaker Newcastle have long craved. Cabaye shone against Fiorentina and seems poised to prove integral to Pardew's increasingly purist blueprint.

"Cabaye is central to my vision of how I want us to play," said Pardew. "Last season I don't think we had control of games, especially at home. He will give us that. His passing and grasp of the ball will be significant for us. We have a very good player on our hands."

Cabaye is destined for deployment alongside Tioté in central midfield and the club are confident their Ivorian enforcer will receive his new visa in time to face Arsenal. "Tioté will probably be here on Wednesday," said Pardew, wryly aware that, at Newcastle, it rarely rains but invariably pours. "He'll definitely be available for Saturday."

It is possible that Barton, currently isolated from the first‑team squad and still available on a free transfer, could also feature against Arsène Wenger's side. The right‑sided midfielder is scheduled to discuss the future with Derek Llambias, Newcastle's managing director, this week when his removal from the transfer list is possible.

"We're all taking a deep breath, having some time out and seeing where we go with Joey," said Pardew. "I want my best players playing for the club but Joey needs to buy into what we're doing. If he doesn't, he'll probably go. We'll assess it on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. Me and Joey will have a couple of texts and take it from there."

José Enrique, Newcastle's left‑back, remains in limbo, too. Enrique is desperate to leave but Pardew hopes to inspire a volte face. "There's been no bids for José and I want him to stay," he said. "I keep looking at him and smiling. He smiles back but he hasn't signed the contract yet and that is a problem."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/07/newcastle-united-alan-pardew