Alan Pardew

JH

At least we bought Woodgate's replacement in the next window. Even if he was s****.

Ba? We needed a centre-back before we sold Woodgate also when you think we only had Bramble and O'Brien after that. Same's happened again.

Ba's the "replacement" for the striker we should have bought (and were apparently after) while Carroll was still here.

Same way Boumsong was lined up as Woodgate's partner when we were keen on him on a Free before he joined Rangers?

Yeah, not arguing the Woodgate point. Both were failures.

My point is, we still used the money from his sale to strengthen the squad, even if it was six month's later.

We certainly haven't done that with the Carroll money.

Definitely.

Though saying that, we only got him because we paid what, twice his value? Not sure I'd have been chuffed us doing that with Maiga or whoever. (I know "Balance sheet :fwap:" blah blah)

Ill-advised statement really, there's nothing they could do to appease fans who were only interested in whether or not we signed a striker. Better just keep quiet, although they would be slaughtered for that as well.

FWIW what he said is probably accurate except the bit about Obertan being brought in early. It always seemed like we were trying to sign a striker, that wasn't the problem. If there was a problem it was that they wouldn't pay enough.

...and you wonder why people call you an apologist/sympathiser.  :iamatwat:

The whole striker thing is just bollocks. They didn't try hard enough, end of. O0

I don't wonder at all, it's because they're idiots.

I admitted that we wouldn't pay enough, but I believe we enquired and bid for a number of strikers. Obviously we didn't get one, that's a blow, but it doesn't mean that a decent transfer window has suddenly become the worst ever.

Was just fishing for a reaction tbh mate. You're right like, but I'm just sick of being lied to and seeing my club being made a mockery of.

Fair play, we do look like idiots at times, but then so does almost every football club owner and manager. Look at Wenger, transformed Arsenal from top to bottom and now people are saying he's a joke.

I guess I just don't expect to find out the truth from inside the club, it's just not a problem for me because I accept it's the norm for transfer dealings and all that to be shrouded in spin and half-truths. I just don't think we're all that much worse than other clubs in that respect.

The stuff about the renaming and Sports Direct adverts and stuff like that annoys me much more than this stuff, IMO it's par for the course in football.

Ill-advised statement really, there's nothing they could do to appease fans who were only interested in whether or not we signed a striker. Better just keep quiet, although they would be slaughtered for that as well.

FWIW what he said is probably accurate except the bit about Obertan being brought in early. It always seemed like we were trying to sign a striker, that wasn't the problem. If there was a problem it was that they wouldn't pay enough.

...and you wonder why people call you an apologist/sympathiser.  :iamatwat:

The whole striker thing is just bollocks. They didn't try hard enough, end of. O0

I don't wonder at all, it's because they're idiots.

I admitted that we wouldn't pay enough, but I believe we enquired and bid for a number of strikers. Obviously we didn't get one, that's a blow, but it doesn't mean that a decent transfer window has suddenly become the worst ever.

Was just fishing for a reaction tbh mate. You're right like, but I'm just sick of being lied to and seeing my club being made a mockery of.

Fair play, we do look like idiots at times, but then so does almost every football club owner and manager. Look at Wenger, transformed Arsenal from top to bottom and now people are saying he's a joke.

I guess I just don't expect to find out the truth from inside the club, it's just not a problem for me because I accept it's the norm for transfer dealings and all that to be shrouded in spin and half-truths. I just don't think we're all that much worse than other clubs in that respect.

The stuff about the renaming and Sports Direct adverts and stuff like that annoys me much more than this stuff, IMO it's par for the course in football.

I must admit, I try not to follow the transfer window because it's normally all speculation so things like the sign at St James' tend to bother me more. When I read stuff on here though it surprises me and it tends to piss me off. Modern day football is wank at the high levels to be fair, compared to what it used to be. Regardless of that though, Newcastle is my team so I'm not going anywhere else, because St James' is home.

That's the thing with this sign issue - It's like someones taken my front door off my house.

Right up until the closure of the window I thought they would have got someone but in hindsight (wonderful thing) it's plain to see that there’s no half truths about it, they never had any intention of bringing in a striker. The very fact that we didn’t off load one of our current strikers during the window says it all as they would never have kept 5 strikers on the books (I feel annoyed about not picking this up at the time). For the club to say that we couldn’t find a striker better than what we’ve got for a reasonable price is just insulting.

If the statement is true and it’s not but if it is then Graham Carr should be sacked already.

Right up until the closure of the window I thought they would have got someone but in hindsight (wonderful thing) it's plain to see that theres no half truths about it, they never had any intention of bringing in a striker. The very fact that we didnt off load one of our current strikers during the window says it all as they would never have kept 5 strikers on the books (I feel annoyed about not picking this up at the time). For the club to say that we couldnt find a striker better than what weve got for a reasonable price is just insulting.

If the statement is true and its not but if it is then Graham Carr should be sacked already.

Carr? All he can do is identify the targets, if Llambias fucks up getting them signed that's not his fault. :lol:

It's a crap statement, but honestly the reactions are hilarious in here. What exactly are you expecting him to say?

I'm still puzzled as to why they've released a statement at all. No need for it.

who knows maybe they've decided to communicate more since thats been a regular criticism

Right up until the closure of the window I thought they would have got someone but in hindsight (wonderful thing) it's plain to see that there’s no half truths about it, they never had any intention of bringing in a striker. The very fact that we didn’t off load one of our current strikers during the window says it all as they would never have kept 5 strikers on the books (I feel annoyed about not picking this up at the time). For the club to say that we couldn’t find a striker better than what we’ve got for a reasonable price is just insulting.

If the statement is true and it’s not but if it is then Graham Carr should be sacked already.

What a load of absolute trash.

Read my post fully and you'll see I wasn't blaming Carr. I was pointing out that if the club was serious about buying  a new striker then Carr would have been at fault as it would have been one of the easiest jobs in football to identify players who are better than the current strikers at the club.

By the way Prophet I like the way you don't say why my statement is a load of rubbish.

He should have kept his mouth shut I've never ever seen a statement from a chairman explain transfer window failings. They fucked up, we knew that. Amateurish once again.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't to be honest.

Everyone was crying out for a statement, they make one, shouldn't have made a statement.

or

Everyone was crying for a statement, they don't make one, they get reamed for not making one.

Either way they lose.

You're right they can't win, people are so pissed off now (rightly in some cases, wrongly in others) that every event relating to NUFC is an excuse to be negative. Even our great start to the season has been glossed over far too much.

Guess it's understandable, the transfer window is designed to concentrate everyone's hopes into a few hours and drive them mental.

Read my post fully and you'll see I wasn't blaming Carr. I was pointing out that if the club was serious about buying  a new striker then Carr would have been at fault as it would have been one of the easiest jobs in football to identify players who are better than the current strikers at the club.

By the way Prophet I like the way you don't say why my statement is a load of rubbish.

Read through your quote and tbh you blame Carr and cannot wriggle out of that one ,Carr identifies and leaves it to the clowns to get them .

Guess it's understandable, the transfer window is designed to concentrate everyone's hopes into a few hours and drive them mental.

LOL, we had 8 months to get a striker ffs :) But we're mental I guess.

He should have kept his mouth shut I've never ever seen a statement from a chairman explain transfer window failings. They f***ed up, we knew that. Amateurish once again.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't to be honest.

Everyone was crying out for a statement, they make one, shouldn't have made a statement.

or

Everyone was crying for a statement, they don't make one, they get reamed for not making one.

Either way they lose.

Not really, they could attempt to put out a statement that doesn't try being condescending, insulting our intelligence and admit they've actually failed the supporters once again. Is it really too much to ask for the owners of this football club to show a little accountability to the people who define it's very existence ?

LOL, we had 8 months to get a striker ffs :) But we're mental I guess.

I know that, I meant that the tension and expectation is concentrated into a very short space of time.

It's fair enough saying we had months, but the transfer window never seems to work like that for any club. Otherwise they'd all have their deals in place and everything would be sorted the day the window opened. I know you know this though.