Alan Pardew

JH

The club would think (possibly rightly, possibly wrongly) that buying players from Latin America would represent to much of a risk I would imagine. Despite the relatively cheap prices there are loads and loads who come over here and sink without a trace and it's not as though they're going to be getting bought back by Latin American teams as aside from a handful of Brazilian and Mexican clubs none of the clubs have any money of note.

Shame though as the talent is most definitely there and say it was the Argentine league we were looking loads of players have dual nationality but along with the risk of them not being sell-on-able and that we'd have to give them 6-9 months to settle in and get used to the physicality and pace of the game that's a lot of potential expenditure for no return in our tight fisted eyes. 

On a seperate note when Smith, Harper, Lovenkrands the eventually Jonas and Coloccini leave it'll be interesting to see what the excuses are for not pushing a bit harder with transfers as in theory our wage bill will be borderline anorexic compared to other clubs with similar turnover/potential.

Guest Rainforest

The club would think (possibly rightly, possibly wrongly) that buying players from Latin America would represent to much of a risk I would imagine. Despite the relatively cheap prices there are loads and loads who come over here and sink without a trace and it's not as though they're going to be getting bought back by Latin American teams as aside from a handful of Brazilian and Mexican clubs none of the clubs have any money of note.

Shame though as the talent is most definitely there and say it was the Argentine league we were looking loads of players have dual nationality but along with the risk of them not being sell-on-able and that we'd have to give them 6-9 months to settle in and get used to the physicality and pace of the game that's a lot of potential expenditure for no return in our tight fisted eyes.  

On a seperate note when Smith, Harper, Lovenkrands the eventually Jonas and Coloccini leave it'll be interesting to see what the excuses are for not pushing a bit harder with transfers as in theory our wage bill will be borderline anorexic compared to other clubs with similar turnover/potential.

Top post.  I reckon the wage bill can never be low enough as long as we stay in the league,  not that I ever think there will come to a point where we have low-earners in every position, but in theory, I think that would be a perfect scenario for mike.  Lovenkrants is on f*** all money btw as I understand it, pathetically low, something like 5k a week. Might explain why he is excused by both owners and manager

Guest TheSummerOf69

Well we're sorted for South American talent due to that "favour" of taking Nancho on loan for 5m

(the 1m it cost +2m payout to KK +2m we should have got from KK for resigning as per the terms of his contract).

Oh.

As Wenger has said, despite what many fans think, it's not a supermarket. The price you pay for a player doesn't just depend on his quality, it's what the competition is for his signature, how much his club wants to keep him, and the strength of the player's motivation to join your club. All that can be overcome if you're prepared to pay enough money, but then you may end up paying more than the player is worth, and blocking your options further down the line.

We keep hearing, 'they've had six months to find a replacement' but it's not that simple. The player you really want is likely to have other options, and is likely to be wanted by other clubs, not least the one he's currently playing for. The player and his club might well want to keep their options open for a long time, to see if better offers come up, and in the final shake-up, you may lose out.

Guest Rainforest

Id rather not we paid 8 mill for a player in the Best mould, better we use our own best in that case.

If we do buy a striker, I want him to be on the gervinho/gameiro/Cisse level.

So I dont blame them for not getting Gameiro and Gervinho, who clearly didnt want to come.  And Im happy we didnt get erding/Maiga/Roux because I simply dont rate them as THAT much better than what we currently have ( if at all tbh)

Cisse though, he wanted to come, but we deemed the 15 million or so too much. Shame.

As Wenger has said, despite what many fans think, it's not a supermarket. The price you pay for a player doesn't just depend on his quality, it's what the competition is for his signature, how much his club wants to keep him, and the strength of the player's motivation to join your club. All that can be overcome if you're prepared to pay enough money, but then you may end up paying more than the player is worth, and blocking your options further down the line.

We keep hearing, 'they've had six months to find a replacement' but it's not that simple. The player you really want is likely to have other options, and is likely to be wanted by other clubs, not least the one he's currently playing for. The player and his club might well want to keep their options open for a long time, to see if better offers come up, and in the final shake-up, you may lose out.

Gosh, how do other clubs do it? This is so fucking hard, this premiership lark. Thanks for illuminating us, mate.

Gosh, how do other clubs do it? This is so f***ing hard, this premiership lark. Thanks for illuminating us, mate.

So basicly:

Oooh, nice goalrecord on that player! Lets get him in.

Us: How much you want for x player?

them: Uhm, 20mp? *bites lip*

us: Okay here you go!

No wouldn't want a player just for the sake of it. There was quality in the market like Long seems to be a good aquisition. But players have scored alot of goals in Wankership before and failed miserably in the prem. Despite this I would want him purely for his play style. That aggressive playstyle upfront is something we really lack and got none of. I think it's really important to retain posession theese days.

However, it seems like the board originally wanted a little bit more seasoned forward who was a bit more exciting. This window have been pretty great in my eyes. If we had got Ridgewell in aswell we would have been pretty good for the upcomming season as I really believe both Ba and Best will get quite a good share of goals. However, the way they have been building up expectations around a worthy replacement for Carroll it's quite dissapointing they failed to bring someone in. But alas I will keep beeing excited about the squad, I think we've got some fresh blood in who are eager to show what they can do. The same with some of the old players. Taylor has been really uplifting in the start of the season. As has Colo. If we can get Tiote going I don't see why this can't be a great season to come.

Id rather not we paid 8 mill for a player in the Best mould, better we use our own best in that case.

So I dont blame them for not getting Gameiro and Gervinho, who clearly didnt want to come.  And Im happy we didnt get erding/Maiga/Roux because I simply dont rate them as THAT much better than what we currently have ( if at all tbh)

Cisse though, he wanted to come, but we deemed the 15 million or so too much. Shame.

Happy we didn't get Roux...  :rant:

Gosh, how do other clubs do it? This is so fucking hard, this premiership lark. Thanks for illuminating us, mate.

I don't know what 'other clubs' you're referring to, but not everyone can win at the transfer game.

Under Shepherd, our policy, if you can call it that, was to blow whatever funds we had on the best players that were available to us every window. There was no long-term strategy, it was reactive, a lot of money was wasted and financially we got deeper and deeper into trouble.

Ashley, after a few months, obviously took stock of things and decided to play a different game. I actually think it's the right one, for a club in our position.

Gosh, how do other clubs do it? This is so f***ing hard, this premiership lark. Thanks for illuminating us, mate.

So basicly:

Oooh, nice goalrecord on that player! Lets get him in.

Us: How much you want for x player?

them: Uhm, 20mp? *bites lip*

us: We'll give you .1mp

them: Fuck off

us: Well we tried our hardest

Guest Rainforest

So I dont blame them for not getting Gameiro and Gervinho, who clearly didnt want to come.  And Im happy we didnt get erding/Maiga/Roux because I simply dont rate them as THAT much better than what we currently have ( if at all tbh)

Happy we didn't get Roux...  :rant:

I read something about a french scout who said he was a decent player, although he was doubtful as to whether he would fit the PL, comparing him to Chamakh who clearly were the more talented player and still didnt make it :\

Pardew's made himself look like a mug with all of his quotes from Carroll 100% staying to the striker coming in before the deadline and while he needs to stop guaranteeing stuff in the future the extent to which Ashley/Llambias are hanging him out to dry is just plain ridiculous. It's as if they know they they've got him by the balls or something, which I'm guessing they have to a certain extent? He can't come out and overtly criticize the board as he'll be hoofed out and he also knows he won't ever get a club this size again. It's all pretty embarrassing stuff really either way and there's plenty (most) of managers who would just do as Keegan did and say "this is quite frankly pathetic, I'm off"

His next few press conferences are going to be cringeworthy but then again whats he supposes to say? He's both made himself out to look an idiot but nothing compared to how badly those above are making him look while they retire to the dark board rooms of St James Park and let him take the heat as a result of their idiot governing.

I agree that it's defo worth waiting until we find a quality forward. But sadly in the meantime we've got to rely on Ba and Best. Beyond them, we're simply fucked.

Here's hoping Sammy turns out to be the next Ronaldo

So I dont blame them for not getting Gameiro and Gervinho, who clearly didnt want to come.  And Im happy we didnt get erding/Maiga/Roux because I simply dont rate them as THAT much better than what we currently have ( if at all tbh)

Happy we didn't get Roux...  :rant:

I read something about a french scout who said he was a decent player, although he was doubtful as to whether he would fit the PL, comparing him to Chamakh who clearly were the more talented player and still didnt make it :\

Completely different players. If he was merely comparing them because they both come from Ligue 1, that's disastrous. And I really can't see Chamakh being the more talented. Most Ligue 1 people thinks Roux is a bit raw, but extremely talented. One (James Eastham) is adamant he is destined for the national team.

Import from South America is very risky.  Take an example, Diego Forlan, completely rubbish and being mocked by everyone in UK during his time at Man Utd. Finally able to prove his talent and value at Spain.  Still he is a failure when considering the deal...

Javi Hernandez is another good example. I remember I read a story about him, saying while he was already very well-known for his talents at 17 or something, he was unable to keep up his progress and completely lose his confidence and form.  This went so bad that he almost quit football, which he finally didn't because of family support.  In the end he regained some of his form and able to break into the Maxican squad, before Man Utd bought him.  This happened just 1 year before the bid.  While he was shining in EPL, in fact he was very close to a drop-out before and you can see how volatile or, in other words, unreliable their attitude and determination are.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/09/03/derek-llambias-knee-jerk-buys-not-an-option-61634-29355111/

Boss Alan Pardew is also taking time before he makes his next public proclamations, although he is understood to be angry and frustrated that there is no new striker on board to help consolidate the club’s fine start to the season.

Danger of him showing signs of a spine there

I highly doubt Gameiro, Maiga, or Erding would have been a significant improvement to our team and as a result I'm glad we didn't sign them. However it's unforgivable we didn't even bid or actively pursue a loan for Sturridge.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/09/03/derek-llambias-knee-jerk-buys-not-an-option-61634-29355111/

Boss Alan Pardew is also taking time before he makes his next public proclamations, although he is understood to be angry and frustrated that there is no new striker on board to help consolidate the club’s fine start to the season.

Danger of him showing signs of a spine there

:lol:

A gambler and his gambling mate are running the club, they'll run it as cheap as possible and gamble with what we've got to stay in the division.

I would much rather be gambling on getting european football or not then gambling on staying in the division but hey ho.