Alan Pardew

JH

Guest sicko2ndbest

Pardew hits out after Newcastle fail to splash Carroll bounty on top quality striker

By COLIN YOUNG

Last updated at 10:00 PM on 8th September 2011

Comments (0)

Add to My Stories

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has admitted he was angered and frustrated by the board’s failure to sign a new No 9 in the transfer window.

Pardew was left empty-handed despite months of negotiations for various targets and a last-gasp bid for Bryan Ruiz, who instead left Twente for Fulham last week.

‘With the time scale we had, we should have got a striker,’ said Pardew. ‘But there are difficulties in today’s market, especially with young strikers who have got potential. That’s what we were targeting and that’s the hardest type of player to get.

Best isn't good enough: Alan Pardew expected to add more firepower this summer

'The board found it very difficult and went up some paths that were dead ends. I’m disappointed because it would have made the jigsaw complete.

‘I’ll be the first to admit I was upset on the day, and the day after and the day after that. But that’s me done now.’

Pardew still insists owner Mike Ashley will give him the opportunity to spend the £35million taken from Liverpool for Andy Carroll in January. But he knows Newcastle will not spend for the sake of it. Pardew said: ‘The fans want the No 9 shirt filled. I just hope we can fill it in January.

‘I think it’s important that I put pressure (on the board). I feel the enthusiasm we have generated at the start of the season has gone with the signing not coming in. I’ve stressed that many times to Derek (Llambias, the managing director) and Mike.

On the cheap: Demba Ba and Leon Best cost a fraction of Andy Carroll's transfer fee

‘They are passionate about the way they see the club and the way they want to do deals. They wouldn’t do a loan or a  short-term fix, whereas I would have liked to. I had a couple of options that I thought would have worked for us but it has to work for them.

‘The board make the decision about who they think is financially right for the club.’

There was talk of Pardew walking out of St James’s Park last week, which he dismissed as ‘scare mongering’.

Guest Haris Vuckic
Pardew still insists owner Mike Ashley will give him the opportunity to spend the £35million taken from Liverpool for Andy Carroll in January. But he knows Newcastle will not spend for the sake of it. Pardew said: ‘The fans want the No 9 shirt filled. I just hope we can fill it in January.

What about the money from the Nolan and Enrique sales?  ;D

It's going to be a profit like any other Ashley window, who are they trying to kid?

Strong indeed.  Sounds like he was  as p*ssed off as we are.  Wonder what tyhe baord will think of that.  It is weird that they have done the ronnie gill questions thing and Lambias' statement at this time.  Maybe he has demanded it?

Aye. They must be a nightmare to work under at times, but he knew what he was getting into. I just can't wrap my head around a bloke who apparently loves a gamble/splurge in his personal life refusing to even budge a little bit with the football club that he owns. I'm not saying go crazy or anything, but you surely cannot be so fucking rigid with everything all of the time. They could have compromised on one of the many deals that were mooted and saw us with a striker at the end of it.

:dontknow:

Just hope the squad see us through another spell, like they pretty much did for the entirety of last season.

Another thing: it would be nice to see responsibility fall on the manager's head a bit more in that way, as in "right, we backed you, you've got the squad you wanted, now go and deliver" - although maybe that's their objective these days? Is there any way they could be that clever?

Things don't go too well then they are always the ones who get the blame, hence less pressure on the manager and players, "well we could have come 9th if we'd replaced Carroll"...

Might be giving them a bit much credit to consider them pulling a Mourinho on everyone though.

"Best isn't good enough"

Nice tagline from Young there :doh:

Way to put words in Pardew's mouth  :rolleyes:

Pardew finding it hard to keep a lid on his frustration with the board there tbf. Good on him.

:nods:

"Best isn't good enough"

Pathetic really, was expecting at least some comment that could be loosely linked after but nope, just a childish personal dig.

Looks like this puppet may grow into a real boy one day, quite surprised.

"Best isn't good enough"

Pathetic really, was expecting at least some comment that could be loosely linked after but nope, just a childish personal dig.

It's just a relatively clever pun, that's all. Nowt to worry about.

"Best isn't good enough"

It's just a relatively clever pun, that's all. Nowt to worry about.

:blush:

Aye. They must be a nightmare to work under at times, but he knew what he was getting into. I just can't wrap my head around a bloke who apparently loves a gamble/splurge in his personal life refusing to even budge a little bit with the football club that he owns. I'm not saying go crazy or anything, but you surely cannot be so fucking rigid with everything all of the time. They could have compromised on one of the many deals that were mooted and saw us with a striker at the end of it.

:dontknow:

Just hope the squad see us through another spell, like they pretty much did for the entirety of last season.

Regarding the bit in bold: He said very clearly after the shitstorm post Keegan that while he had been willing to put in £20m every season, that would no longer happen, the club now had to look after itself until he could find a buyer.

That £20m was his gambling money as you put it, and I guess it may take a while (if he remains the owner) before he gets back to the point that he feels something for the club enough to stick in his own chips again.

Fair play to him, been honest for a change and largely points the finger.  He is right, we need to move on and concentrate on results now.  I think it is very obvious that he and the fans are pissed off, perhaps the board are finally getting the message as well.

We can only hope.

3 points on Monday and a big push up to January please..

Pardew says he understands fans who are disgruntled after being told Carroll would not be sold, before then seeing hopes of a replacement dashed after a seven-month search.

When pressed on the situation, Pardew – who kept a cool head at his Press conference ahead of the QPR game – told the Chronicle: “The people who feel let down are the fans.

“They pay their money and they feel what they are being promised is not being fulfilled. I think from that point of view, all I can say is that Derek (Llambias) will be giving some financial news.

“The money that we got from Andy is going back into the club, but obviously a big chunk of it hasn’t been spent yet.â€

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think and hope any anger towards Pardew now has faded away. He went as far as contractually possible in divulging his feelings in the boards inability to get a striker over the line.

He has only lost a handful of games since his appointment 10 months ago.

I think he is doing a great job and am so happy he is our manager when I think if the alternatives that could have cone through the door

I think and hope any anger towards Pardew now has faded away. He went as far as contractually possible in divulging his feelings in the boards inability to get a striker over the line.

I think he is doing a great job and am so happy he is our manager when I think if the alternatives that could have cone through the door

He's lost almost two hands full, he's won one more than he's lost.

I regard him now as I did when he came here. I'm not particularly concerned about his relationship with Mike or Dekka. I'm more interested in how he uses the resources available to him which is all we can judge him on at the end of the day.