Alan Pardew

JH

Because they way some go on it's like we are struggling. All managers will make mistakes but again just because you would do something else doesn't mean it's right.

We have no idea on Ben Arfa's fitness or form, I personally don't think Obertan is so bad that Ben Arfa is definitely going to be better no matter what shape he is in or how he is currently playing :dontknow:

Raylor? Didn't we have the joint best defence in the league before the big 3 games?

We don't have a recognised right winger to play ahead of Obertan, people talk about Ben Arfa like he would definitely do a good job and definitely be more beneficial to the team on the whole but that's pure guess work. The manager and coaches will see these players in training, will have no doubt tried different tactics and I guess will have a better idea than any of us of what works best :dontknow:

All grasping when we have hit a rocky patch, something most teams will go through during a season especially when they play the likes of those 3 all on the bounce.

It's easy to sit behind a computer and list of these 'mistakes' when we have absolutely no idea how it would have gone if Pardew chose the options you wanted him to. I have to keep looking at the league table to check we haven't slipped down into the relegation zone.

Raylor, yes. We had, but that's not to say there can't be a player amongst that defense who's not good. The biggest reasons for our good defensive record was the centre backs and Krul. Apart from some great blocks, i'm not sure what he did (defensively) that pretty much anyone else couldn't have.  It was justifiable to play Raylor for a while, as he had a period where he had matches without significant/goal leading mistakes, and played decent, but he also went on to have some poor displays, and some absolutely terrible ones. It has been time to play Santon for a good while.

Ben Arfa is a better player than Obertan. It really is that simple. He will be way more effective than Obertan. If just going off Obertan not being at all. Not saying he will take the Premier League with storm, but he will contribute more than Obertan. "The manager" always knows best. Not so sure that's always right tbh. Point being proved in that Obertan is always starting despite playing badly. It's not like Ben Arfa haven't played out wide before either.

It is easy to point out mistakes. He keeps making the same ones, and people are very aware of them.

Why do you have to check the table? Is it not fair to point out mistakes, even if we're sitting nicely in the table?

Good post.

Because they way some go on it's like we are struggling. All managers will make mistakes but again just because you would do something else doesn't mean it's right.

We have no idea on Ben Arfa's fitness or form, I personally don't think Obertan is so bad that Ben Arfa is definitely going to be better no matter what shape he is in or how he is currently playing :dontknow:

You're right that we don't know something different would work, we do know that what we did do, didn't work.

As for Ben Arfa's fitness, it was good enough to last 75 minutes against Man City and set up a really good chance for Ba and it was good enough for 80 minutes against Man U when he won the penalty that got us the point.  On that basis I think it's reasonable to assume that he could have played at some point yesterday.

You're right that we don't know something different would work, we do know that what we did do, didn't work.

As for Ben Arfa's fitness, it was good enough to last 75 minutes against Man City and set up a really good chance for Ba and it was good enough for 80 minutes against Man U when he won the penalty that got us the point.  On that basis I think it's reasonable to assume that he could have played at some point yesterday.

Yep, and don't forget he hit the post against Man City.  Very strange goings on, finding myself agreeing that there must be something happening behind the scenes, otherwise it makes no sense.

Just for arguments sake as none of us have a clue what is going on but he could had a twinge or felt a bit uneasy about something since those games :dontknow:

Sure I read someone say today that Pardew was going on about having to take it easy with HBA, we don't know how he is feeling after these games. I know my ankle still plays up from time to time now.

Just for arguments sake as none of us have a clue what is going on but he could had a twinge or felt a bit uneasy about something since those games :dontknow:

Sure I read someone say today that Pardew was going on about having to take it easy with HBA, we don't know how he is feeling after these games. I know my ankle still plays up from time to time now.

If he's not fit to take any part in games then don't put him on the bench.  I would understand if the cold is getting to a joint injury but that's not what he had.  I've had a few broken bones playing football and haven't felt them since they healed, the only thing I ever feel is an old knuckle injury.

I don't remember a manager we have ever been happy with when it comes to subs, even SBR used to get a lot of stick for it.

He used to love the triple substitution.  And it worked once from my memory when Stephen Glass scored vs Man Utd in 2000.  After a Lua-Lua miskick.

Bit of a fantasy that. It was true in his early days but simmered down a lot after the first few weeks of that 2000/01 season with Cordone and co. Once we had a good and settled team (Bellamy/Robert onwards), it was pretty rare. Perhaps too rare.

I don't remember a manager we have ever been happy with when it comes to subs, even SBR used to get a lot of stick for it.

He used to love the triple substitution.  And it worked once from my memory when Stephen Glass scored vs Man Utd in 2000.  After a Lua-Lua miskick.

Bit of a fantasy that. It was true in his early days but simmered down a lot after the first few weeks of that 2000/01 season with Cordone and co. Once we had a good and settled team (Bellamy/Robert onwards), it was pretty rare. Perhaps too rare.

In 2003/04:

He did 3 substitutions against Man United, Birmingham City, Portsmouth, Fulham and Bolton.  That's still quite frequent!

--

Bugger, ignore this edit.

In 2003/04:

He did 3 substitutions against Man United, Birmingham City, Portsmouth, Fulham and Bolton.  That's still quite frequent!

Aye but not the 'lets get groovy' triple whammy, which I assume is what we're talking about*. A 67th, a 75th and a 92nd combo doesn't count.

*It might have happened once among those games, can't say I've checked specifically.

On a pure personality level, I think a lot of people have never taken to the bloke and/or have never forgiven him for his part in Hughton's ousting/Ashley's overall scheme. As such this is why they're picking up on relatively small things and using it to justify statements like 'fast running out of patience' and 'getting pissed off' when overall we've had a stonking run of success (on paper), the sort that would normally get someone a bit more slack. He lacks good will. This is the flipside of people like Ronaldo appreciating his grooming and wanting people to think they share habits.

For me, I've never liked him and am unable to warm to him. Doesn't come into my judgement of his decisions here, though. I've voted 'brilliant' on this thread, and I'm not planning on changing it just yet. My thinking's generally along the lines of Mick's, but I still think some of the things some people are saying against him are loony. Would rather they just said 'don't like him, never will', if they haven't literally only just noticed after a dodgy result against a not-to-shit Swansea side during a massive injury crisis that we're strategically inflexible. It shouldn't have been so hard to spot, and if it was, then Pardew would deserve a bit of time to identify it and (more importantly) do something about it before calling him a knacker.

In 2003/04:

Aye but not the 'lets get groovy' triple whammy, which I assume is what we're talking about*. A 67th, a 75th and a 92nd combo doesn't count.

*It might have happened once among those games, can't say I've checked specifically.

Those all were triple whammy substitutions.  Rather embarrassingly - I actually checked the matches.

On a pure personality level, I think a lot of people have never taken to the bloke and/or have never forgiven him for his part in Hughton's ousting/Ashley's overall scheme. As such this is why they're picking up on relatively small things and using it to justify statements like 'fast running out of patience' and 'getting pissed off' when overall we've had a stonking run of success (on paper), the sort that would normally get someone a bit more slack. He lacks good will. This is the flipside of people like Ronaldo appreciating his grooming and wanting people to think they share habits.

For me, I've never liked him and am unable to warm to him. Doesn't come into my judgement of his decisions here, though. I've voted 'brilliant' on this thread, and I'm not planning on changing it just yet. My thinking's generally along the lines of Mick's, but I still think some of the things some people are saying against him are loony. Would rather they just said 'don't like him, never will', if they haven't literally only just noticed after a dodgy result against a not-to-shit Swansea side during a massive injury crisis that we're strategically inflexible. It shouldn't have been so hard to spot, and if it was, then Pardew would deserve a bit of time to identify it and (more importantly) do something about it before calling him a knacker.

I'm the same, don't like him and never will. He's done a fantastic job so far.

don't like him and never will.

What if he won us the Champions League and solved world hunger?

Canny read in the new true faith - A 10 page article where Michael Martin as well as Mark Jenson were invited to spend a full day at the training ground and chin-wag with the players as well as Pardew and his coaching team.

Carver created a DVD for the bus journey to Sunlund which featured all of our goals against them in recent times  :D

In 2003/04:

Those all were triple whammy substitutions.  Rather embarrassingly - I actually checked the matches.

Where can I check? Genuinely interested to see.

In 2003/04:

Where can I check? Genuinely interested to see.

Fair play. I'll be pedantic and point out Portsmouth was actually two substitution phases 1 minute apart, but still. Four or five is a good couple more than I was expecting.

:thup: Top stuff as per.