Alan Pardew

JH

Pardew has to take credit for the first 14 games. He handles the media well and created a good atmosphere for the squad.

BUT.....

He makes the exact same mistakes again and again. His persistance with Obertan and Raylor is, quite frankly, embarassing. His substitutions are mostly terrible and he'll give Sammy and Vuckic more minutes than Ben Arfa. Our tactics weren't working against WBA and he did nothing about it. We have a good team with fantastic individuals....7th place with Colo, Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Ba and Krul isn't overachieving. The worst thing is knowing that no matter how obvious these problems are, they won't be resolved soon.

But the alternative if we sacked him would be worse. Terrifying, isn't it?

Pardew is one of a pool of managers who could largely be described as "meh" - totally unremarkable, might do a decent job if they wind up at the right club at the right time, might get you lumbered at the arse end of the table.

Unfortunately, bar the top six, we're all fishing for managers from that pool. Strikes me that, though he undoubtedly has his failings, Pardew has done pretty well for you lot this far.

Given that, I reckon your last line is spot on.

That's the thing though from a fans point of view, he seems like he's actualy a very good manager (atleast as for what we could get, like you say) but he has a stuborness that (again from a fans POV) seems utterly absurd.

It's all ifs and buts, but I fully believe that had he brought in the obvious players earlier in the season we'd be a few points better off atleast. You could probably say the same about McLeish aswell like

It's all ifs and buts, but I fully believe that had he brought in the obvious players earlier in the season we'd be a few points better off atleast. You could probably say the same about McLeish aswell like

Maybe, maybe not, I don't really know, but I suspect - and this is a general point about football fans, not you or I or newcastle fans or villa fans - that very frequently when we say things like that - if only he'd bought player x or y - there are good reasons why it didn't happen.

All but a handful of managers in the league are dealing with limited budgets and owners who worry about wage bills more now than they've done in a long time. I reckon this January will see a really low level of spending in general, and that will reflect more clubs operating within their means.

Given that, I reckon you're doing more than OK.

Pardew has to take credit for the first 14 games. He handles the media well and created a good atmosphere for the squad.

BUT.....

He makes the exact same mistakes again and again. His persistance with Obertan and Raylor is, quite frankly, embarassing. His substitutions are mostly terrible and he'll give Sammy and Vuckic more minutes than Ben Arfa. Our tactics weren't working against WBA and he did nothing about it. We have a good team with fantastic individuals....7th place with Colo, Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Ba and Krul isn't overachieving. The worst thing is knowing that no matter how obvious these problems are, they won't be resolved soon.

But the alternative if we sacked him would be worse. Terrifying, isn't it?

Pardew is one of a pool of managers who could largely be described as "meh" - totally unremarkable, might do a decent job if they wind up at the right club at the right time, might get you lumbered at the arse end of the table.

Unfortunately, bar the top six, we're all fishing for managers from that pool. Strikes me that, though he undoubtedly has his failings, Pardew has done pretty well for you lot this far.

Given that, I reckon your last line is spot on.

Not sure I agree with that tbh. We thought that about Chris Hughton last year but it's the same old, same old. It seems to me we are buying well so we are getting some good results due to those players producing. The manager is incidental IMO, other than basically keeping spirits high. West Brom caned us with far lesser resources.

By 'brought in' I meant starting Santon and Ben Arfa ahead of Taylor and Obertan/Best, as opposed to buying players, I just worded it in the worst way possible :lol:

I agree that we're doing ok though, well above our weight until the past few weeks, it's just irritating to see such a good start met with such a poor display of results, home and away. But thats just football!

I have always liked Pardew and i, like everyone lese thought we'd hit the jackpot with him 8 games ago!

Oh how fickle we can be.

However, when you look at the wins we've had and the points we've put on the board, we've very rarely dominated games this season. I'm starting to worry about where this current mentality of Pardew will take us.

If we don't finish top 10 this season(which is possible at the moment) then i think Pardew won't be given much time next season. But we have just lost and emotions are running high.

But, christ his persistance with utter horse s*** is killing us. It's just bad management.

Only one person responsible for todays result. Pardew bottled it, again. I was wound up by half-time, by full-time I was close to furious with him.

Gave Liverpool far too much respect, avoided playing the ball and allowed ourselves to be hustled. The players look like they lack confidence with the ball at their feet, but I suspect it's Pardews instructions. Looks to me like he's trying to play percentage football just like that muppet Allardyce.

When Gerrard was getting stripped he should have grabbed the bull by the horns and had Ben Arfa come on at the same time. At least try to take the psychological lift out of that.

And even with just Ba up front so many balls launched long, made me want to weep. Don't think I saw Krul release one ball with his hands, everything kicked long resulting in 'pool possession as often as not.

Fucking horrible.

Most of us thought he was spot on tactically with the win at Stoke, and he was. Has hardly got a thing right since though.

We need to go back to playing football with confidence on the ground. That's how we played in the beginning of the season. The hoofing is horrible, the confidence in the short passing game is nowhere to be seen. Worrying, but hopefully we can get back to playing some decent stuff after the Man Utd game.

Only one person responsible for todays result. Pardew bottled it, again. I was wound up by half-time, by full-time I was close to furious with him.

Gave Liverpool far too much respect, avoided playing the ball and allowed ourselves to be hustled. The players look like they lack confidence with the ball at their feet, but I suspect it's Pardews instructions. Looks to me like he's trying to play percentage football just like that muppet Allardyce.

When Gerrard was getting stripped he should have grabbed the bull by the horns and had Ben Arfa come on at the same time. At least try to take the psychological lift out of that.

And even with just Ba up front so many balls launched long, made me want to weep. Don't think I saw Krul release one ball with his hands, everything kicked long resulting in 'pool possession as often as not.

f***ing horrible.

Most of us thought he was spot on tactically with the win at Stoke, and he was. Has hardly got a thing right since though.

word for bastard word. couldn't have put thet better.

Fucking horrible.

Absolutely spot on.

Cant believe how fickle some people are. The poll I'm reading at the top says that 95% reckon he's been either good or excellent, and the fact is 19 games through the season we are 7th in the league with 5 points clear at the moment. A few frustrating results recently but largely a fantastic first half to the season and Pardew has to take a large amount of credit for this. Lets not forget this is despite having Simpson as our undisputed best right back and Best and Ameobi as our best strikers bar Ba.

We have quality in the squad with some obvious gaps, and if we want to point fingers lets point them to those who are sanctioning the transfers.

I'm as frustrated as many by some of the tactics and not playing Ben Arfa but what could just easily have happened is we attempted to pass them off the park and get strolled completely. The last time I remember a manager going with the consensus on here, we lost 3-0 at Derby. A few weeks ago some were hailing him as a tactical mastermind, tipped for England etc. etc, he's no Mourinho but I don't see a queue of big names queuing to manage us under Ashley. The realistic alternatives are going to be worse, not better.

We're 7th in the league despite glaring weaknesses in the squad and Pardew has done more than enough to be given a bit of faith and cut a bit of slack given how bleak recent seasons have been.