Alan Pardew

JH

I highly doubt Gameiro, Maiga, or Erding would have been a significant improvement to our team and as a result I'm glad we didn't sign them. However it's unforgivable we didn't even bid or actively pursue a loan for Sturridge.

Seriously?

I really believe there's an element of frustration with everybody who just believe anybody would be an improvement on the forwards we have. I don't get the obsession with going for these winger forwards like Maiga, Ba, and Ruiz, I think they'd find it frustrating playing in our team in the Premier League where they don't have the space they do in their respective leagues.

I've seen better forwards than Gameiro come to the Premier League and do shitter than expected. Maybe in our home games when we had players like Nolan getting forward they might have flourished. But good luck in this team. Sturridge is the only player we were linked with who would have really pushed us forward.

I highly doubt Gameiro, Maiga, or Erding would have been a significant improvement to our team and as a result I'm glad we didn't sign them. However it's unforgivable we didn't even bid or actively pursue a loan for Sturridge.

i highly doubt your doubt

I really don't get the obsession with those selection of forwards. The one that really gets me is how people really wanted Shane Long, seriously, what the f***. I think some people here just want transfers for the sake of it.

And in before somebody tries to use Shane Long's stellar start as a reason he's a top class striker.

Seriously?

I really believe there's an element of frustration with everybody who just believe anybody would be an improvement on the forwards we have. I don't get the obsession with going for these winger forwards like Maiga, Ba, and Ruiz, I think they'd find it frustrating playing in our team in the Premier League where they don't have the space they do in their respective leagues.

I've seen better forwards than Gameiro come to the Premier League and do shitter than expected. Maybe in our home games when we had players like Nolan getting forward they might have flourished. But good luck in this team. Sturridge is the only player we were linked with who would have really pushed us forward.

Considering we're likely to start Peter Lovenkrands quite often this season that isn't really hard to believe.

I really don't get the obsession with those selection of forwards. The one that really gets me is how people really wanted Shane Long, seriously, what the f***. I think some people here just want transfers for the sake of it.

And in before somebody tries to use Shane Long's stellar start as a reason he's a top class striker.

You're basically saying what most other people are saying and that is that we need a new forward, the only difference is that you don't think our targets were very good.

You're basically saying what most other people are saying and that is that we need a new forward, the only difference is that you don't think our targets were very good.

That's exactly what I was saying Mick, I wasn't trying to incite a debate amongst all these obvious Ligue 1 fanatics here that were sure all these potential targets would fire us to the top half of the table, it just happened.

I'd have given an arm to have Shane Long in the squad after Wednesday's fiasco. Looks to be a good player.

I have a friend who every time he sees Leon Best plays, he scores. He doesn't understand why the fans struggle to accept him (Not saying I do accept him). Grass is always greener.

Don't have an issue with Best. Doesn't mean we shouldn't have bought a striker of similar/better quality of Shane Long for a few million. It's called having a squad.

I wasn't having a pop there. I just think Long is a slogger, I think he's exactly what Best is. Would I pay £7 million for Best? No. I just don't think we need to add shit to the shit we've already got. Let's just agree to disagree, I was just trying to point out that I don't think adding any of our targets to make up the squad would have improved us massively to the point some people think.

If Best or Ba get injured we're playing Lovenkrands. How does that in any way not constitute a need for a striker?

Did I say don't buy a striker? My point was are people really thinking that amount of money for players like Maiga who have horrible scoring records in a completely different league really the correct solution. To which the response from everybody except Mick and Yorkie was yes it appears.

If Best or Ba get injured we're playing Lovenkrands. How does that in any way not constitute a need for a striker?

Did I say don't buy a striker? My point was are people really thinking that amount of money for players like Maiga who have horrible scoring records in a completely different league really the correct solution. To which the response from everybody except Mick and Yorkie was yes it appears.

Aye, Maiga's almost 1 in 2 last season is fucking rotten like

For what it's worth, how do you know that we didn't actively pursue a deal for Sturridge?

I don't, I'm just presuming something would have come out either from us or from Chelsea saying they dont want to loan him out this season.

Seriously?

A bold opinion,and I applaud your willingness to buck the trend. I didn't know enough about those players to make a firm judgement myself, but none of them particularly impressed on Y-T. I mean not like Ben Arfa, Lukaku or Legear impressed me. I've seen a bit more of Erdinc, and he looks distinctly ordinary.

I agree that Sturridge would have been a good addition, but I think the new man at Chelsea likes what he's seen and doesn't want to part with him. Even if they were open to offers, it would have taken £20m+ and £10m+ in wages etc, which I can't see us stretching to.

I originally posted after Leon Best scored the 2 against Fulham that we wouldnt buy a striker as it was a get out clause for the clowns aned yes they havent actually used it as an excuse i believe Pardew will .

Do you think Liverpool are having concerns about Carroll if as believed they went after Sturridge? A friend of mine in Liverpool confirmed from what he'd heard that Pool had gone after Sturridge.

Think its more that they need more strikers, before Bellamy signed they had just Carroll and Suarez(Think liverpool rate kuyt as a winger not a striker). Dalgleish know it is a long season so he needs player who can rotate, also Sturridge can play on the wing.

Guest ykmkmdd

The main positive I can find in not signing a striker is it dramatically increases the chance of game time for Sammy Ameobi, who looks a real prospect (looks far better than Carroll at the same age) and give me a home-grown talent over one imported in any day.