Alan Pardew

JH

The main positive I can find in not signing a striker is it dramatically increases the chance of game time for Sammy Ameobi, who looks a real prospect (looks far better than Carroll at the same age) and give me a home-grown talent over one imported in any day.

I agree that would be good BUT sadly I think Lovenkrands is ahead of him in the pecking order, which is just  :facepalm:

Jef Stelling now

Saying something just not right with the Ruiz bid!

John Anderson doesn't believe that we made any bid. What can't be denied is that we sold Carroll in January and we still have an unused number 9 shirt. That tells us that the manager doesnt believe any of the current players were his preferred first choice.

We failed miserably and those responsible will do the same again and again until they realise that buying a good or promising goal scorer is a difficult and expensive business. I find it hard to understand how they could sell Carroll for at least 15M more than he was worth and then expect to pick up his replacement on the cheap.

They should have viewed the first 15M of his replacement as free money - just think what that nay have bought us.

Here's an idea if you don't want to make "knee jerk" signings, sign someone during the fucking months and months you've had to sort it out you bunch of useless pricks, then you don't have to make the choice between panic signing and no-one at all.

Guest Rainforest

The main positive I can find in not signing a striker is it dramatically increases the chance of game time for Sammy Ameobi, who looks a real prospect (looks far better than Carroll at the same age) and give me a home-grown talent over one imported in any day.

Another positive is that Leon Best gets a proper run, who knows how that will turn out

It will be interesting to see what happens in January as prices are always inflated and we will not pay for players that are overpriced. 

There's bound to be a random French or Dutch League's striker whose contract is going to expire in June that we could get on the cheap...

Think we missed a trick not putting out foot down and demanding sturridge when given transferred to man city.

everyone did, I may be in the minority but i thought he was gash until that loan spell at Bolton...uninformed maybe but i didnt see enough to make me think he'd have been better than a (at the time) well scoring Owen or Oba...

Think we missed a trick not putting out foot down and demanding sturridge when given transferred to man city.

Should have done that when Chelsea were desperate for Torres. I know he was on loan at Bolton at the time, but I'm sure something could have been worked out.

January is perfect for these goons. Lots of players with 6 months left we can either tap up for the end of the season (Marveaux) or try and sign then and there for below market value (Larsson). Probably end up tapping up some European player.

January is perfect for these goons. Lots of players with 6 months left we can either tap up for the end of the season (Marveaux) or try and sign then and there for below market value (Larsson). Probably end up tapping up some European player.

Speaking of which does M'Bengue's contract expire in the summer?

Don't think we've got any intention of paying decent money for a striker either last window or next. Any bids we supposedly make are made in the knowledge that either the club or the player (or both) will reject it. But at least they can say that they tried. That's the main thing. 

Guest Rainforest

I dont think there is a hard-cap on how much we are willing to spend tbh ( within reasonable limits ofc).  I mean, I can easily see Mike willing to spend 15 million on a player, as long as he feels like the player is worth 25+.  Its all about "getting a good deal" for him I suspect, regardless of how much the player costs.  You could see he was willing to stretch to 10-12 mill for Cisse, while not being willing to shell that much out for Maiga, because he is not as good.

Hopefully we will find some loophole in a quality strikers contract, can see Mike striking like a cobra in that case.

I dont think there is a hard-cap on how much we are willing to spend tbh ( within reasonable limits ofc).  I mean, I can easily see Mike willing to spend 15 million on a player, as long as he feels like the player is worth 25+.  Its all about "getting a good deal" for him I suspect, regardless of how much the player costs.  You could see he was willing to stretch to 10-12 mill for Cisse, while not being willing to shell that much out for Maiga, because he is not as good.

Hopefully we will find some loophole in a quality strikers contract, can see Mike striking like a cobra in that case.

This, he's trying to run transfers as a business. It means that he's only going to buy cheap players to fill gaps or potentially excellent players who can be sold later. The point is though, it can actually work both as a good business model and a way of improving your squad over a period of time. Unfortunately, it's a very slow way of improving a team and can create these windows of time where we have weakened areas (especially strikers) until we find another good deal.

I've always accepted it will take time to see where we're at, not just in weeks or months, but in years. They keep saying their strategy will take several years to implement, I accept this and realise that in the future we may be able to hold onto players much easier if we manage to achieve success without burning cash to get there. There's next to no point in overspending until you're in the shit to get to Europe, only to fall out of it for several years and potentially enter relegation battles. Be frugal, spend the money wisely but at all times keep a core of good players in the side and try the utmost to create a core which is reasonably stable for three-four years,

I fully expect to get slayed and slated here for being a wanker apologist and maybe I'm wrong, maybe all they care about is lining their pockets and fucking us over but you can argue it both ways. The haters have a more aggressive way of talking about it but we'll not know who's right until MA's ownership comes to an end.

Let me add finally, that whatever does happen, I still think he's a disgusting cunt for what he did to Keegan, for lying and for being a fat, pathetic pansy of a man who desperately wanted to be liked only to become one of the most hated figures in the UK. Llambias is a greasy pig who should be roasted on a spit and served to the sewers but yes, I can see logic and sense in the way club operates

It's almost impossible to make predictions regarding our January targets, assuming there are any.

They have a strict transfer policy that won't accommodate paying 'what you need to pay'. Since the beginning of football, transfer philosophy hasn't really varied, and one particular facet remains consistent: a player is worth as much as someone is willing to pay. However, our current ownership practically abandons that idea because they aren't prepared to pay for anything.

All of the transfers accumulated since we were relegated have been via sheer opportunism. Whether that's reading up on contract loopholes (Cabaye) or simply spotting a bargain (Tiote), unambitious frugality has been evident for a few seasons now.

Considering that, coupled with the inflation of prices that occur in January (see Carroll. A), i'd be astonished to see any major signings to make up for the summer's failures.

Depending on our situation in the table, if we were to sign anyone then, it would be in the form of more short-term deals.

Guest Rainforest

I can make one prediction - if there is a bargain available, we will buy him regardless of what "type of player" he is.

The bollocks about " the right type of player" is just laughable, we are like a hyena - we fester on bargain carcasses.

This can actually work out quite well incidentally, and achieving success on a cut-price budget is even more furfilling if anything. "Look what we did with our hands tied" type of thing as opposed to the arab angle.

There is a sad reality when it comes to this model though, and that is that the better certain players in your squad performs, the more likely it is that someone will inquire about his services, only to be the very opposite of rebuffed - encouraged to buy by our board.  

Its hard to be optimistic about building anything when you know for a FACT that we are not building anything, we are simply keepers of players that are increasing in value and are to be shipped when they are ripe, since oowner has deemed it pointless to smash into europe since it will be too costly to TRY.

I guess we should just try to enjoy our team and enjoy it on a day-to-day basis, since thinking longterm is just depressing.

Ironically I think in terms of getting players in, we woul need to start losing massively so that FCA would actuallythink there is a genuine risk of going down, maybe that will have him reach for his purse. Because doing well its appearent he sees no reason to push on at all.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/2011/09/04/pardew-left-frustrated-by-failure-to-sign-striker-79310-29358632/

Pardew left frustrated by failure to sign striker

Sep 4 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

It is most definitely not a resigning issue, but Alan Pardew has been left disappointed, frustrated and angered by Newcastle United’s failure to land a striker in the January transfer window.

Having gone from animated and upbeat on Tuesday afternoon at the news the Magpies had landed a left-back who arrived with a ringing personal endorsement from none other than Jose Mourinho, Pardew was left simmering by the lack of the forward he believed was crucial to his pre-season target of a Premier League top-10 finish.

Now he faces a long week before a scheduled press conference on Thursday which could conceivably be the first time he talks in public again.

Robust conversations have taken place at boardroom level.

The Sunday Sun understands United had identified FIFTEEN strikers and could not complete on any of them.

A senior St James’ Park source reckons the club were trying to do the “perfect deal” – trying to tie down a striker equivalent of Cheick Tiote or Yohan Cabaye for half of his true valuation – and eventually ran out of time.

Newcastle could live with the loss of three key players in Kevin Nolan, Jose Enrique and Joey Barton but they needed high-quality replacements.

The jury is out on whether they have got them, and the judgement will only arrive when United confront a winter which promises to provide a thorough examination of a small squad.

The manager knew of the commitment to try and land foreign players with sizeable resale value but believed – and hoped – there would be room to add British players with experience and know-how too.

Among his suggestions at the various transfer summits held during the summer were the likes of Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe and, most surprisingly of all, Stoke’s rangey former Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones.

He proposed several players he had previously worked with including Rob Green, Nicky Shorey and Paul Konchensky – and consistently argued he could get the best out of players written off elsewhere.

He is, after all, the manager who coaxed 15 Premier League goals out of Marlon Harewood.

However, the criteria was set long before Pardew stepped through the doors at St James’ Park and there was little prospect of United breaking the bank to sign anyone over 30.

The window began with promise and momentum for United.

A deal for Yohan Cabaye was negotiated a month before the window opened – United discovering a clause in the France midfielder’s contract which meant they could comparatively steal him for just £4million.

For a player watched for two years by Chief Scout Graham Carr, and for whom United were originally quoted some £12million, it was an absolute bargain.

When Pardew first met him, it was absolutely clear he not only wanted to be a Newcastle player, but that he had done his homework on the club too.

More soon followed – Sylvain Marveaux dashed from Liverpool to Newcastle to pen a deal after his move to Anfield collapsed.

French-based agent-cum-fixer Simon Stainrod had made a late-night call to United to let them know he was available and the Toon moved with admirable speed to tie up the deal.

Big agent fees were paid to secure Demba Ba, released from his contract by West Ham, and it looked as if United would have their business tied up in double-quick time.

However, black clouds were on the horizon as United became embroiled in messy disputes on all of the targets prepared before the window opened.

Kevin Gameiro had told United early on he preferred Spain, but such was his pedigree and class United believed him worth a fortnight’s pursuit.

Similarly, Gervinho had made early positive noises and Pardew actually went as far as meeting the Ivory Coast striker.

There was a feeling his heart was not set on a move to United, though, despite his obvious qualities.

Then came the failed pursuit of Mevlut Erdinc, the summer’s bugbear for many at the club.

A good player, undoubtedly, but with an agent in Pierre Frelot who proved immensely difficult to deal with.

He demanded bonuses and assurances and eventually fell out with United, which set back a pursuit which was almost complete in early June right back to square one by mid-July.

There was a feeling United were trying to extract best value from too many different clubs, trying to keep costs under control when recruiting for a position which requires you to pay a sizeable premium. In some cases, such as Sochaux’s Modibo Maiga, they were prompting complaints from selling clubs in the process.

Still, Pardew maintained an upbeat persona – convinced by assurances the striker would arrive. Mike Ashley was certain the forward would be recruited too.

However, as Wednesday began, Toon insiders were privately fearful the club would not broker a deal for the striker they so desperately needed.

While some black and white fanatics dreamed of three or four additions, there were long faces at St James’ Park as they faced the fact business on Newcastle’s terms was going to be virtually impossible to conduct.

Llambias was in London prepared to hop on a plane to finally complete the Maiga deal but Sochaux, despite indicating they would be prepared to sell a few hours earlier, called time on the deal.

Suggestions of a Visa complication were also put forward, but not fully substantiated.

In those frantic final hours, the club took calls from agents trying to shift their players.

Plenty of dross was put forward but one intriguing name was Max Gradel of Leeds, proposed to United as a potential replacement for Joey Barton. The call was never returned.

United also looked into Bryan Ruiz of FC Twente but even Llambias recognised it was a very long shot.

Virtually signed, sealed and delivered at Craven Cottage, the player was barely informed of the interest from United.

By 9pm Newcastle had called time on their efforts to bring in a striker and declared their business was over, leaving the manager furious.

Pardew’s mood was hardly brightened by the fact his proposal to loan Federico Macheda was blocked.

He wanted to add the Manchester United striker but his record at Sampdoria – where he barely played – counted against the Italy under-21 striker.

As dawn broke on September 1 Pardew was indicating he would not be talking to media until he had had discussions with the United hierarchy.

Those talks have taken place, a statement has been released and the manager is now coming to terms with what has to be done over the next five months.

Players the Sunday Sun understands were ‘A’ targets by Newcastle before the transfer window started...

DMITRI PAYET

(£7.6million, St Etienne to Lille)

RAFAEL VARANE

(£6million, Lens to Real Madrid)

KEVIN GAMEIRO

(£10million, Lorient to Paris SG)

CHEIKH M’BENGUE

(Toulouse, went nowhere)

ERIK PIETERS

(PSV Eindhoven, went nowhere)

ALY CISSOKHO

(Lyon, went nowhere)

MODIBO MAIGA

(Sochaux, went nowhere)

LIAM RIDGEWELL

(Birmingham City, went nowhere)

SHANE LONG

(£6million, Reading to West Brom)

Others mentioned over the course of a frantic six months...

COLIN KAZIM-RICHARDS

NICKY SHOREY

PAUL KONCHENSKY

JERMAIN DEFOE

JEREMY MENEZ

CHARLES N’ZOGBIA

PETER CROUCH

DANIEL STURRIDGE

FEDERICO MACHEDA

KENWYNE JONES

Who Newcastle United signed over the summer...

YOHAN CABAYE

(£4million from Lille)

SYLVAIN MARVEAUX

(free from Rennes)

DAVIDE SANTON

(£5million from Inter Milan)

MEHDI ABEID

(undisclosed from Lens)

DEMBA BA

(free, released by West Ham)

ROB ELLIOT

(£200,000 from Charlton Athletic)

GABRIEL OBERTAN

(undisclosed from Man United)

I've always accepted it will take time to see where we're at, not just in weeks or months, but in years. They keep saying their strategy will take several years to implement, I accept this and realise that in the future we may be able to hold onto players much easier if we manage to achieve success without burning cash to get there. There's next to no point in overspending until you're in the shit to get to Europe, only to fall out of it for several years and potentially enter relegation battles. Be frugal, spend the money wisely but at all times keep a core of good players in the side and try the utmost to create a core which is reasonably stable for three-four years,

I fully expect to get slayed and slated here for being a wanker apologist and maybe I'm wrong, maybe all they care about is lining their pockets and fucking us over but you can argue it both ways. The haters have a more aggressive way of talking about it but we'll not know who's right until MA's ownership comes to an end.

Let me add finally, that whatever does happen, I still think he's a disgusting cunt for what he did to Keegan, for lying and for being a fat, pathetic pansy of a man who desperately wanted to be liked only to become one of the most hated figures in the UK. Llambias is a greasy pig who should be roasted on a spit and served to the sewers but yes, I can see logic and sense in the way club operates

:thup: :thup:

COLIN KAZIM-RICHARDS

NICKY SHOREY

PAUL KONCHESKY

PETER CROUCH

FEDERICO MACHEDA

KENWYNE JONES

Fucking glad that Pardew isn't the one who takes all the transfer decisions. Absolutely rubbish players. Worrying stuff.

COLIN KAZIM-RICHARDS

NICKY SHOREY

PAUL KONCHESKY

PETER CROUCH

FEDERICO MACHEDA

KENWYNE JONES

Fucking glad that Pardew isn't the one who takes all the transfer decisions. Absolutely rubbish players. Worrying stuff.

Shocking list. Saying that, I rate Jones more than Ba.