Alan Pardew

JH

I don't think they care that much what people think of them, and certainly not enough to change their business plan and its attendant transfer policy. What would be the point anyway, in these terms, as most of the fans are going to hate them for all eternity on principle whatever they do? The idea that they're constantly bidding for players as some kind of PR exercise or smokescreen for deliberate inactivity is, frankly, nuts.

They need to get a lot better at playing their own game, however.

my problem with this is we "bid" around the 10m euro mark at the start of the window for 2 strikers, then when that all fell apart none, NONE of our other options were worth paying a similar amount of money for?'

the "bids" themselves denote the club realise it was a priority (to the fans) position to sign a player in, so they bid early and go public

after that, with 8 months of research behind them, you're telling me seriously they couldn't find and sign a striker for around 10m euros

that's really what you think you need help man

We could have signed Crouch for £10m.

If the correct targets weren't available, they weren't available. If we'd wasted 10m on somebody who turned out to be no good, in 2 months time this entire forum would be having a go at the board for signing a load of shite

Wouldn't be surprised if half of that list is more PR stuff - "It's a good job we didn't panic buy or look who our manager would have us buy! Phew!"

Jonny that is being double cynical which really does you no credit. First of all you're assuming that the list in Sundaysun is somehow accurate and notwithstanding that, you come out with the whole PR thing. It's an accusation on top of an assumption which really has little basis.

I'm as miffed as anyone that we didn't get a striker, in fact I rated our transfer window a '3' in its thread simply because I endorsed the Carroll sale provided we get a replacement and it was clear that we need a striker to push on. I have no doubt that being tight fisted and trying to always get a bargain backfired but I just don't buy the whole fake bid conspiracy theory mainly because whether we like it or not c*** Ashley does not give a damn of what we think of him.

That's why I said "It wouldn't surprise me" rather than "The following I am about to post is 100% and totally accurate"

Fair enough Jonny, missed the subtle yet important distinction, my apologies  O0

Wouldn't be surprised if half of that list is more PR stuff - "It's a good job we didn't panic buy or look who our manager would have us buy! Phew!"

Jonny that is being double cynical which really does you no credit. First of all you're assuming that the list in Sundaysun is somehow accurate and notwithstanding that, you come out with the whole PR thing. It's an accusation on top of an assumption which really has little basis.

I'm as miffed as anyone that we didn't get a striker, in fact I rated our transfer window a '3' in its thread simply because I endorsed the Carroll sale provided we get a replacement and it was clear that we need a striker to push on. I have no doubt that being tight fisted and trying to always get a bargain backfired but I just don't buy the whole fake bid conspiracy theory mainly because whether we like it or not c*** Ashley does not give a damn of what we think of him.

That's why I said "It wouldn't surprise me" rather than "The following I am about to post is 100% and totally accurate"

Fair enough Jonny, missed the subtle yet important distinction, my apologies  O0

:laugh:

Guest Wally_McFool

The idea that they're constantly bidding for players as some kind of PR exercise or smokescreen for deliberate inactivity is, frankly, nuts.

The previous "failed" transfer deadline day  bids for Michael Johnson, Kieron Richardson, Charley N'Zog, Bryan Ruiz and Liam Ridgewell suggest that you are wrong.

Keegan maybe a crap pundit but at least he called Ashley and Speccy twat correctly about the Andy Carroll money. :D

I don't think they care that much what people think of them, and certainly not enough to change their business plan and its attendant transfer policy. What would be the point anyway, in these terms, as most of the fans are going to hate them for all eternity on principle whatever they do? The idea that they're constantly bidding for players as some kind of PR exercise or smokescreen for deliberate inactivity is, frankly, nuts.

my problem with this is we "bid" around the 10m euro mark at the start of the window for 2 strikers, then when that all fell apart none, NONE of our other options were worth paying a similar amount of money for?'

the "bids" themselves denote the club realise it was a priority (to the fans) position to sign a player in, so they bid early and go public

after that, with 8 months of research behind them, you're telling me seriously they couldn't find and sign a striker for around 10m euros

We could have signed Crouch for £10m.

If the correct targets weren't available, they weren't available. If we'd wasted 10m on somebody who turned out to be no good, in 2 months time this entire forum would be having a go at the board for signing a load of shite

my word, seriously?  nothing has changed has it?  why is peter crouch the only fucking option? :lol:

we were scrubbing around with borderline insulting bids for strikers when we'd earmarked 10m euros (allegedly) for a striker...if we wanted maiga or whoever with the knowledge we needed a player badly in that position why wouldn't we pay the market value?

if he wasn't worth paying the money for why were we even interested?

Your post doesn't seem to have anything to do with the post that you are quoting.

Feel free to explain what you don't understand about the sentence "They need to get a lot better at playing their own game, however."

Your post doesn't seem to have anything to do with the post that you are quoting.

Feel free to explain what you don't understand about the sentence "They need to get a lot better at playing their own game, however."

i was replying to this as all evidence points to the opposite of what you're saying basically

EDIT: what i would say though, in their defence, is that if they could have found another good striker who was cheap or free then they'd have had no hesitation in signing him

it's clear to me, as it should now be to everyone, that we will not be spending money over and above what we recoup in fees from sales (unless it's a HBA type signing who is clearly worth more than the fee paid)

was it coincidence maiga went on "strike"?  personally i don't think so, the only thing preventing his cut price arrival was the reluctance of his club to cave in

2 misconduct allegations in one window, frankly i'm amazed it's so few - it'll become par for the course imo...it's well known ashley likes to throw the rule book away in his business dealings, why would this be different?

i was replying to this as all evidence points to the opposite of what you're saying basically

EDIT: what i would say though, in their defence, is that if they could have found another good striker who was cheap or free then they'd have had no hesitation in signing him

it's clear to me, as it should now be to everyone, that we will not be spending money over and above what we recoup in fees from sales (unless it's a HBA type signing who is clearly worth more than the fee paid)

was it coincidence maiga went on "strike"?  personally i don't think so, the only thing preventing his cut price arrival was the reluctance of his club to cave in

2 misconduct allegations in one window, frankly i'm amazed it's so few - it'll become par for the course imo...it's well known ashley likes to throw the rule book away in his business dealings, why would this be different?

Well, fine. You carry on believing that we're making player bids for PR reasons alone, and I'll carry on thinking you're two fries short of a Happy Meal. :thup:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,75153.msg2846432.html#msg2846432

When we spend a load of money in the summer, I hope we're going to hear a few apologies from those who, by that time, will have bored the rest of us to distraction with months and months of pointless moaning.

That and an admission that Keegan is, and always has been, a really crap pundit.

That one.

:lol:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,75153.msg2846432.html#msg2846432

When we spend a load of money in the summer, I hope we're going to hear a few apologies from those who, by that time, will have bored the rest of us to distraction with months and months of pointless moaning.

That and an admission that Keegan is, and always has been, a really crap pundit.

That one.

:lol:

:frantic:

Well, fine. You carry on believing that we're making player bids for PR reasons alone, and I'll carry on thinking you're two fries short of a Happy Meal. :thup:

people have already pointed out numerous examples of why you're wrong mate, read the writing, or answer my questions in that last post ???

It concerns me that our transfers are done purely on a business basis rather than what is best for the football team.

For example, we need a left-back.  We target Cissokho and his club value him at say 12m but we offer 8m, then we offer PSV 6m for Pieters but they want 7m so instead we buy Santon, a right-back who can play at left-back for 5m. 

Now Santon might end being a fantastic player but in the end I get the impression that we have gone for the cheapest option (and also potentially the one with the highest resale fee) as we were supposedly prepared to pay a higher fee (albeit below their club's valuations) for other players rather than what is best for the team.  If we are prepared to go as high as 8m for one player, why not pay 7m for the alternative.  Maybe I am being unfair, but I wonder if you had a choice of all 3 players and ignoring the price, which player would have been the preferred option.

This, unfortunately. While I am all for us going and getting the best possible deals they have to wise up that they can't do it at the detriment of the club. It's going to be a harder season for us and pardew now, but he will have an easy explanation to our standing come the end of the season. Ironically the money they fought so hard to save will essentially be lost because we will finish much lower than we would have with the new signings.

people have already pointed out numerous examples of why you're wrong mate, read the writing, or answer my questions in that last post ???

The board is clearly set on the deluded hope that they can build a top 6 side by spending a quarter of the amount needed that succesful clubs spend.

That one.

Gosh, well clearly I was wrong.

Except Keegan is still a crap pundit.

Where's your apology?

Guest VaVaVoom

Im pretty new on here and havnt read the whole thread so i dont know what people think about AP.

Personally i voted "good".

I think he came into the job under a lot of pressure following CH. At the time i was of the opinion that CH should of been allowed to finish the season and then look for an improvement, or, if a suitable improvement was found then and only then let him go. The club thought AP was an improvement, i and many others did not. Very underwhelmed.

However, i have grown to like AP, i like his manner with the media, he is very open and honest when we have been good or bad. We began to play some really good attacking football last year.

This season he has had to deal with losing 3 key players in Jose, Barton and Nolan. All of which wanted to go because of the boards like of ambition.

He has brought in some quality this summer and i dont put any blame on him for us not getting the striker we need. I think he is as disappointed and frustrated as us. I do think though that he will get the best out of what we have upfront.

It is a new look 1st team, Pardew's team and once they have settled together i can see us doing pretty well this season.

I like your signature VaVaVoom, brings some much needed positivity to this place. I think everyone on here hated Pardew to begin with. I read through the start of this thread the other day and he just gets torn apart but he's definitely done far better than most expected

Guest VaVaVoom

I like your signature VaVaVoom, brings some much needed positivity to this place. I think everyone on here hated Pardew to begin with. I read through the start of this thread the other day and he just gets torn apart but he's definitely done far better than most expected

Thanks.

Im a "pint half full" kinda guy. No matter how many negatives you still focus on the positives.

At the club there are negatives but not as many as some make out. Personally i think there is a lot to be positive about.

Simple fact is though, FMA and his little bitch have done so much to piss us fans off and not enough to make up for it. Not enough to get "everyone" back on board.

To make my stance clear, FMA has done a lot wrong, a lot which IS unforgivable but our club is his club unfortunately and whether we like it or not we have to accept what he is trying to do. Which at the moment is in the best interests of the club.......FINANCIALLY.

He is putting us on a stable financial footing which we have not had for a very very long time.

However, what pisses me off is he is doing so whilst gambling with our team. Trying to get by, one more year survival with minimal expenditure.

He did it last year and he is doing it again. I do think the gamble will pay off, we are good enough to finish top half but its a gamble that need not be taken. Its a gamble without passion or ambition for our club.

I expect the lads to get stronger, rise above it and lead us to a pretty good season. Still, regardless of how Barfa, Shola, Ba, Best and Lovenkrands do we NEED a new striker in January to really push on and give us a chance of a EC place finish and a good run in the cups.

Is Pardew that desperate to hold onto his position at the stake of his dignity? I mean it's embarrassing the extent to which those above him are making him look the fool carrying the can for the failings of the club. We'd be screwed if he left with those idiots above in charge but he'd certainly get my respect if he said "you know what I just can't work under these conditions anymore" and while he might not get another job in the premier league he'd get another job in football. I mean it's not like Ashley's paying him top whack anyway with the bous scheme he's on so he doesn't stand to lose a lot of he leaves in financial terms. I know there's a huge draw for managers to work at a club like ours but at the price and indignity Pardew is brining upon himself? I'm not really one for conspiracy theories but do they literally have him by the balls for something?