Alan Pardew

JH

to be honest i think it all comes down to what happens next summer. if we sell off players in form and worth money, i.e Carroll and Enrique and one or two others, and replace them with cheaper players (as i expect) then we'll know why he's been brought in. if this doesn't happen and we renew contracts of Barton and Enrique, bring in some more depth and get rid of a bit of dead wood, i'll hold my hands up and say i'm wrong.

to be honest i think it all comes down to what happens next summer. if we sell off players in form and worth money, i.e Carroll and Enrique and one or two others, and replace them with cheaper players (as i expect) then we'll know why he's been brought in. if this doesn't happen and we renew contracts of Barton and Enrique, bring in some more depth and get rid of a bit of dead wood, i'll hold my hands up and say i'm wrong.

100% agree. That's what i'm worried about.

But Pardew did say he wanted to build an attacking team around Carroll, Barton and Hatem

100% agree. That's what i'm worried about.

But Pardew did say he wanted to build an attacking team around Carroll, Barton and Hatem

that would be nice mate but unfortunately for the last few years nufc has only been about what one man wants, and it's not alan partdewridge

In the full Nolan interview on the BBC website he clarifies that it was Llambias who spoke to the players, not Ashley.

Fair enough. I think my general point is valid though - that the decision took some courage and that they haven't hidden themselves away from the reaction.

It's an unusual type of decision in that normally owners only make a change when things start to go wrong. They very rarely back themselves to bring in someone new pro-actively.

So many of Ashley's decisions have been reactive to events around him. Even bringing in Keegan - which was the only remotely pro-active one - had a whiff of panic about it and pleasing others rather than backing his own beliefs. In the current wave of criticism, all his decisions tend to be lumped together, but in this one he's really put his neck on the line and stamped his own judgement on the situation.

It's a gamble, but I suspect that, in his thinking, putting Hughton in charge long-term was also a gamble. He now feels that, if he's going to lose, it'd be better to lose having backed himself rather than going with the flow.

Guest Geordiesned

:lol:

http://bit.ly/hxLmRi

Newcastle United supporters have named Alan Pardew the club’s best ever manager just days after the former Southampton boss took up the St James’s Park hotseat.

Pardew, who is marginally less boring than predecessor Chris Hughton, saw his side defeat Liverpool 3-1 on Saturday and beat Bobby Robson and Kevin Keegan to be named the greatest boss to manage the Geordies in an online poll.

When he was appointed last Thursday Pardew’s managerial credentials were called into question in some quarters, but a few choice words ahead of Saturday’s televised match have won over skeptical fans.

“We’re told he popped his head round the dressing room door and called Andy Carroll’s pint a poof,” said Newcastle Supporters’ Association chief Kevin Coates.

“You could see Andy was fired up and he hit the Toon’s third like a rocket. That’s brilliant management.”

It is understood that Pardew is living in Kevin Nolan’s garage with Andy Carroll, two boxer dogs and the entire staff of Newcastle city centre stripclub Blue Velvet while he finds new digs.

And his new landlord and room-mate were on target for the Magpies as they beat a Liverpool side that looked pissed, even compared to tight-shorted Newcastle defender Sol Campbell.

Some Newcastle fans have already taken to the streets to protest at the length of Pardew’s contract.

“Five-and-a-half years just isn’t enough,” said Steve James, from Benwell in Newcastle. His furious banner read ‘Par-DUE A NEW DEAL’.

Steve added: “Pardew should be given a job for life after that result. There is no way he should ever leave the club, unless we lose at Birmingham on Saturday in which case he will be the worst manager we have ever had and should be sacked immediately.”

:lol:

http://bit.ly/hxLmRi

Newcastle United supporters have named Alan Pardew the club’s best ever manager just days after the former Southampton boss took up the St James’s Park hotseat.

Pardew, who is marginally less boring than predecessor Chris Hughton, saw his side defeat Liverpool 3-1 on Saturday and beat Bobby Robson and Kevin Keegan to be named the greatest boss to manage the Geordies in an online poll.

When he was appointed last Thursday Pardew’s managerial credentials were called into question in some quarters, but a few choice words ahead of Saturday’s televised match have won over skeptical fans.

“We’re told he popped his head round the dressing room door and called Andy Carroll’s pint a poof,” said Newcastle Supporters’ Association chief Kevin Coates.

“You could see Andy was fired up and he hit the Toon’s third like a rocket. That’s brilliant management.”

It is understood that Pardew is living in Kevin Nolan’s garage with Andy Carroll, two boxer dogs and the entire staff of Newcastle city centre stripclub Blue Velvet while he finds new digs.

And his new landlord and room-mate were on target for the Magpies as they beat a Liverpool side that looked pissed, even compared to tight-shorted Newcastle defender Sol Campbell.

Some Newcastle fans have already taken to the streets to protest at the length of Pardew’s contract.

“Five-and-a-half years just isn’t enough,” said Steve James, from Benwell in Newcastle. His furious banner read ‘Par-DUE A NEW DEAL’.

Steve added: “Pardew should be given a job for life after that result. There is no way he should ever leave the club, unless we lose at Birmingham on Saturday in which case he will be the worst manager we have ever had and should be sacked immediately.”

If this wasn't so close to reality, I'd be lol'ing myself senseless.

But the only bit of that I found difficult to believe was the "pint a poof" line. 

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/12/12/alan-pardew-sets-six-year-euro-target-79310-27809837/

AMBITIOUS Alan Pardew wants Newcastle United challenging for Europe and producing a TEAM of homegrown players by the end of his bumper five-and-a-half year deal.

Pardew took over from Chris Hughton on Thursday and immediately conceded he cannot win the PR battle. Taking the temperature of a frosty pre-match St James’ Park yesterday afternoon, those are wise words.

Tyneside is still raw about the treatment of the popular, dignified and successful Hughton, who knew Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias were thinking of wielding the axe but was still surprised at the timing of the decision so close to a crucial run of games.

He was not alone. The Sunday Sun understands goalkeeping coach Paul Barron thought he was being promoted to Hughton’s No 2 when he was summoned to the boardroom on Monday – instead he was handed his P45.

Despite suspicions the deal had been lined up as long ago as October – suspicions Pardew categorically refutes – the former Republic of Ireland defender took the decision with his usual good grace.

He has been calling and texting people this week praising the “good people of the North East” for their support during his tenure and his concern on Monday was more for the staff he was leaving behind than for himself.

Some were in tears yet he spent time consoling them.

It was the mark of the man and a good – probably damn sight easier – job in football awaits him.

Into those shoes steps Pardew, a different character but – according to first impressions – not the bogey man some supporters have characterised him as. The early noises coming from his camp are that he has done his homework on the club’s history and he will try and engage with supporters as much as possible when the initial heat cools off.

A new era of openness – a Geordie Glasnost – has been promised.

He is eager to meet the movers and shakers in the region and is believed to bet set to attend tonight’s North East Football Writers Awards at the Ramside Hall.

Whatever happens, the only way he will be able to banish the bad vibrations surrounding St James’ Park is results on the pitch.

On that front he has ambitious plans – having sold himself to Ashley and Llambias as someone who recognises the importance of youth development.

The talk continues to be of player development through the club’s academy, with possible reform of the club’s “fundamentals” if Premier League security is secured.

He said: “By 2016 I would see us certainly challenging the top seven positions.

“Hopefully producing players from within. I would like them to be local lads as well – there is nothing better in a city than having players coming through.

“I don’t think there have been too many recently and it would be nice to increase that.

“I saw Barcelona had eight local players in their first team recently – why can’t we?

“I am not going to compare Newcastle to Barcelona, but Newcastle is a big club.

“I feel in the short-term I need to look to stabilise and then maybe in the summer look at foundations to go forward.”

Short-term, he will have to withstand a Toon tsunami of ill will and he admits it has hurt to see some of things written and said about him this week.

He added: “I did weigh it up. I am not made of Teflon – I want to be liked and want to be respected, but in the short-term that is not going to happen – I have to earn that right.

“I have managed to do that before and hopefully I can do it again.

“It is just not true to say the job had been lined up for weeks.

“In terms of myself I never had contact about this job or any other job.

“It is a weird situation – you hear little rumours, your agent bumps into someone and you hear certain things about so and so and this club. However, that is it – that is all I have had.

“I have heard of two or three clubs in that situation.

“It is by far and away never fixed up until it is actually done.

“Travelling up on Wednesday, coming back from Germany I was tired and I was thinking ‘Do I really want to do this?’

“Negotiations had already started by then.

“All of that process is very, very difficult, but when I arrived at the hotel and weighed up the history of the club – no way could I turn this down.”

Part of Pardew’s problem will be that he is not the stellar appointment who could have wiped away the resentment of losing Hughton.

He does not boast much more Premier League experience than his predecessor and his last role – which he was fired from – was in League One.

Pardew has always had enough self-confidence to believe another big role was around the corner, but he admits this one has shocked him.

He said: “No, I didn’t think the chance had passed, but I have to say arriving here after being sacked from Southampton is probably fortunate for me.

“By the same token I have always had belief in my ability.

“I went to Southampton to take them into the Premier League – it was not a League One club in my view.

“I think I had made good strides to do that, everything was in place to get promoted this year so to be taken away from that was a blow.

“I am very pleased to have bounced back with such a brilliant job.

“I felt unfairly treated there. I thought I was building a very club and team there – the owner had other ideas.

“I like to think I can win things. I won a trophy last year – not the greatest of trophies, admittedly.

“I have had two promotions too. I almost won the FA Cup too.

“I think the one thing I do have – which has got me in trouble in the past – is wanting to win things too much.

“It is about making sure you channel that will to win.”

What I'm about to say here will go down like a cup of cold sick with the majority of people but I'm just going to say it anyway...is anyone else concerned that any anger directed towards Pardew in public could well come back to bite us? See, we know how the media works when it comes to us lot, and I can't help thinking that if large sections of the fans adopted the line that any victories are down to Hughton and any losses are down to Pardew/Ashley/Llambias, won't that reflect really badly on us and allow the press to persist with their line that we're the most difficult to please fans in football? Maybe, I dunno...just a thought...but maybe Ashley realises that as well?

I'm no Ashley apologist, by the way. I'm just voicing a concern. :dontknow:

What I'm about to say here will go down like a cup of cold sick with the majority of people but I'm just going to say it anyway...is anyone else concerned that any anger directed towards Pardew in public could well come back to bite us? See, we know how the media works when it comes to us lot, and I can't help thinking that if large sections of the fans adopted the line that any victories are down to Hughton and any losses are down to Pardew/Ashley/Llambias, won't that reflect really badly on us and allow the press to persist with their line that we're the most difficult to please fans in football? Maybe, I dunno...just a thought...but maybe Ashley realises that as well?

Where's that idea coming from?

Too rational.

Best we just conform to the stereotype.

There was always going to be a reaction from the fans after Ashley sacked Hughton who brought us back from oblivion last season. Unless Pardew causes the team's morale to sink like a stone I would think all the fuss will die down within a week or two. Newcastle fans aren't vindictive but it's up to Pardew to earn the support. There has to be some justification for Ashley to have made such a move.

Reading around, browsing the forums, reading tweets on Twitter, watching news reports, that sort of thing.

Reading around, browsing the forums, reading tweets on Twitter, watching news reports, that sort of thing.

Well if it's in reaction to the Liverpool game then it's almost entirely correct. Even the players and Pardew himself agree that it was Hughton's result.

Not sure where the idea that it will continue is coming from just yet.

Well if it's in reaction to the Liverpool game then it's almost entirely correct. Even the players and Pardew himself agree that it was Hughton's result.

Not sure where the idea that it will continue is coming from just yet.

Oh, well, that would just be an (as yet completely unjustified) personal concern. Hope it stays that way though.

In the full Nolan interview on the BBC website he clarifies that it was Llambias who spoke to the players, not Ashley.

Fair enough. I think my general point is valid though - that the decision took some courage and that they haven't hidden themselves away from the reaction.

It's an unusual type of decision in that normally owners only make a change when things start to go wrong. They very rarely back themselves to bring in someone new pro-actively.

So many of Ashley's decisions have been reactive to events around him. Even bringing in Keegan - which was the only remotely pro-active one - had a whiff of panic about it and pleasing others rather than backing his own beliefs. In the current wave of criticism, all his decisions tend to be lumped together, but in this one he's really put his neck on the line and stamped his own judgement on the situation.

It's a gamble, but I suspect that, in his thinking, putting Hughton in charge long-term was also a gamble. He now feels that, if he's going to lose, it'd be better to lose having backed himself rather than going with the flow.

The only problem I have with that assessment is the choice of Hughton's replacement. What on earth does Pardew have going by his past experiences -- especially in the transfer market -- that Hughton didn't, or couldn't have achieved himself? It's about faith, and they seemed to either, a) have none in Hughton, for whatever reason, or b) there were other reasons which we'll probably never know regarding his sacking.

I'm just trying to see the logic in Pardew's appointment, as if Ashley really wanted a proven, experienced, even world-class manager, he could've appointed one. Giving Pardew a five and a half year deal is a little presumptuous, and requires a lot more faith than the amount the players and fans already had in Hughton.

I think if we keep some reasonable form, the fans will gradually come to accept and support Pards. It will be a long time though before his name gets sung at the match.