Alan Pardew

JH

From the pictures:

Harper looks handy with goalposts.

Taylor looks happy he'll get a proper chance.

Nolan doesn't care.

Campbell is sceptical.

Pardew has a leaky pen.

Stolen UEFA clipboards FTW.

Jonny has glasses and a job at NUFC.

Best is lost.

:lol: Cheeky fucker.

Andy Gray has his comment now  :facepalm:

A no-lose situation

Pardew must try to make most of wonderful opportunity, says Andy

The average shelf-life of a Newcastle manager hasn't exactly been long and healthy over the last 13 years so Alan Pardew is going to need things to go his way at St James' Park, starting with the visit of Liverpool.

Somewhere along the line the club's owner and board are going to have to give a manager more than 15-18 months in charge; they are going to have to back their boss to turn a bad spell around if the club is ever going to challenge for major honours on a regular basis.

Opportunity knocks: if Pardew can ride out the troughs, he has plenty to gain says Andy

Opportunity knocks: if Pardew can ride out the troughs, he has plenty to gain says Andy

As Manchester City found in the 1970s and 80s, sacking managers on a regular basis and replacing them with somebody who brings in a different attitude and methods is a recipe for disaster.

Alan has been given a five-and-a-half year contract and I hope he does get a decent crack at the job but the sad truth is that the deal he signed might as well say 11 years because these days contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.

Results will decide Alan's future. If he can start quickly and positively and succeed in keeping Newcastle in the Premier League then I'm sure he will go a long way to soothing the fears

If Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias decide at any point in the next few years that they want to get rid of Alan Pardew then they will.

Opportunity

Right now, though, Alan is in a no-lose situation. He was an unemployed manager who was desperate to get back in and this week he's been given a wonderful opportunity at a famous old club in the Premier League.

So what's the downside for him? There isn't one. It won't be Alan who wins the fans over, it will be results.

I remember when Howard Kendall was getting hammered from the terraces at Everton and petitions for him to be sacked were doing the rounds.

But all of a sudden we put it all together on the pitch and we went on to win the FA Cup in 1984 before winning the league and the Cup Winners' Cup the next season. Success came thick and fast and soon people were talking about Howard Kendall being the best manager in Everton history!

If the board had listened to the fans at the beginning of 1984 then Howard would have got sacked and the club might not have enjoyed the glory that it did.

So results will decide Alan's future. If he can start quickly and positively and succeed in keeping Newcastle in the Premier League then I'm sure he will go a long way to soothing the fears of the fans.

At the end of the day the supporters are Newcastle United fans. While it seems the overwhelming majority wanted Chris Hughton to stay, their loyalty remains to the club not any one manager.

A manager is only one custodian of the club for the length of time he is there. If Newcastle do well then I've no doubt the fans will warm to Alan.

He's going to need plenty of luck along the way but what manager doesn't?

I'm sure Alan feels he is a much more educated and experienced manager now than he was when he first tasted Premier League football in 2005.

He's enjoyed highs, taking West Ham to the FA Cup final, and been through relegation with Charlton - a time when he will have learnt a lot about himself.

I'm sure he recognises that there will be peaks and troughs this season, good days and bad days, and he'd be right to do so because I won't deny that I'm still worried about Newcastle's prospects.

They are only four points above the relegation places and their form remains hit and miss.

They need Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan, Fabricio Coloccini and Mike Williamson back quickly - this weekend if possible for the first two.

Whatever Liverpool have shown under Roy Hodgson away from home - and that hasn't been a great deal - they remain a very difficult side to beat and Newcastle will have to play an awful lot better than they did against West Brom to get anything.

Decency

I'm sure Chris will watch future events at Newcastle with interest.

The lasting impression I'm left with after the events of this week is that he was never the man Ashley and Llambias wanted to manage the side in the top flight.

I would have thought more of them if they'd had the decency to say last May once the club had won promotion 'thanks very much, Chris, we appreciate all that you've done but we feel that we need a more experienced man now to take us into the Premier League; here's a lovely big golden handshake'.

Instead, it looks as though they've waited until a bad result has come along and then used that as an excuse to get rid of him.

Alan has my best wishes for the job that lies in store

Guest sombrero

Have u guys seen Russell howards good news ?? They showed a clip on David Craig live and they seem to have put the camera on him early and so it looks like he is  :fwap: the cameraman as he is bending down ! It must have been now during the pardew stuff

It's my guess that he's picked Pardew cause he sees him  as a very similar character. Pardew blossomed late in the game (he was still a window cleaner when other players were at academies). He didn't start playing at a good level (Palace) till he was 25. Ashley sees him as someone (like himself) who has worked his way up and against the odds. I think this is at the root of why he has gone for Pardew. He feels they are both similar characters who have come through the hard knocks.  Also casue he sees some of himself in Pardew he is no threat to his ego and also someone easier to read.

Yeah, like Ashley came through the hard knocks. He might well have put in a lot of graft over the years, but his early business ventures were funded completely by his parents.

Reckon the pair of them woudl knock you spark out.

It's my guess that he's picked Pardew cause he sees him  as a very similar character. Pardew blossomed late in the game (he was still a window cleaner when other players were at academies). He didn't start playing at a good level (Palace) till he was 25. Ashley sees him as someone (like himself) who has worked his way up and against the odds. I think this is at the root of why he has gone for Pardew. He feels they are both similar characters who have come through the hard knocks.  Also casue he sees some of himself in Pardew he is no threat to his ego and also someone easier to read.

Yeah, good point. It's the sort of background that often makes for a good manager. But whatever your ability, you need the right opportunity. Everything is stacked against him.

It looks to me like Ashley was only prepared to offer Hughton an extension of the short-term contract that he'd been under in the Championship. He felt he was still under trial. Hughton felt he deserved more, with justification. When Calderwood left and the issue of his successor arose, it brought to a head the issue of whether Ashley saw Hughton as the man for the long-term.

It always brings me back to the issue of whether the owner of a football club can act with quite the sort of arbitrary authority of an owner of a retail chain. There's such a strong political element to a football club, which I don't think Ashley has come to terms with yet.

Yeah, good point. It's the sort of background that often makes for a good manager. But whatever your ability, you need the right opportunity. Everything is stacked against him.

It looks to me like Ashley was only prepared to offer Hughton an extension of the short-term contract that he'd been under in the Championship. He felt he was still under trial. Hughton felt he deserved more, with justification. When Calderwood left and the issue of his successor arose, it brought to a head the issue of whether Ashley saw Hughton as the man for the long-term.

It always brings me back to the issue of whether the owner of a football club can act with quite the sort of arbitrary authority of an owner of a retail chain. There's such a strong political element to a football club, which I don't think Ashley has come to terms with yet.

Yeah I've made the same point on here before. It's the root of the whole Ashley problem and he just doesn't get it.  Make a fortune in retailing, think you are a genius and apply the same principles to another business. It is going to be a disaster 9 times out of 10. Ashley has built a huge retailing empire out of virtually nothing so he really isn't stupid. But only the sharpest businessmen work out that you need to adapt your strategy from industry to industry - and Ashley isn't intellectually up to doing that. 

That's why he needs a general manager with a football background to talk him through these situations IMO.