Alan Pardew

JH

I'm just surprised Pardew hasn't had more of an impact on our style. Maybe it's early days but his public statements do seem to suggest that with the players we've got hoofing the ball up to Carroll is the best option.

naturally when we have no midfielders making any sort of movement and we are lauding barton for hoofing it the most.

I'm just surprised Pardew hasn't had more of an impact on our style. Maybe it's early days but his public statements do seem to suggest that with the players we've got hoofing the ball up to Carroll is the best option.

naturally when we have no midfielders making any sort of movement and we are lauding barton for hoofing it the most.

Barton has been putting in intelligent crosses from wide right when he's played there. Also while it's been hit and miss, we have played some good football at times this season with these same players. Playing two strikers would help in that regard IMO.

Macdonald is a piss addled buffoon - no-one can work miracles in 2 or 3 games - I don't recall a long ball preference to his previous teams.

Confidence can be a factor in hoofing the ball upto Carroll - its like a default get out of jail free card - give the bloke some time

Barton has been putting in intelligent crosses from wide right when he's played there. Also while it's been hit and miss, we have played some good football at times this season with these same players. Playing two strikers would help in that regard IMO.

lumped up from anyone else but intelligent crosses from barton ? we've played it too long too often since the mackem game and barton is as guilty as anyone else, take the free klicks for example, long diagonals to carroll every time unless it's on the edge of the box when carroll stands next to barton and barton goes for the low curler round the wall...all so bloody predictable.

Macdonald is a piss addled buffoon - no-one can work miracles in 2 or 3 games - I don't recall a long ball preference to his previous teams.

Confidence can be a factor in hoofing the ball upto Carroll - its like a default get out of jail free card - give the bloke some time

Maybe I'm just paranoid but when you make statements like we gave away the goal because we "put the ball at risk" it rings alarm bells. Football is played from the back and that involves a certain amount of putting the ball at risk. I never followed Pardew's teams closely though so you might well be right. I hope s.

He's three games away from serious pressure imo.

Never the fans choice and he'll only ever be a short run of defeats away from being public enemy number one.

How far away from serious pressure was CH?

I think CH would've garnered significantly more support through the bad periods due to his previous achievements and the general goodwill towards the fella.

Nobody expected miracles of him.

If an 'Experienced Manager' is recruited as an improvement over the status quo then naturally pressure will be higher and patience lesser.

If he came with more gravitas then the argument would naturally be to give him time (see the argument for Hodgson from some quarters) but his previous clubs have been Reading, Southampton, Charlton etc so he'll find himself with very limited public support should results go against him.

That and the fact he's an Ashley man.

Never the fans choice and he'll only ever be a short run of defeats away from being public enemy number one.

I think CH would've garnered significantly more support through the bad periods due to his previous achievements and the general goodwill towards the fella.

If an 'Experienced Manager' is recruited as an improvement over the status quo then naturally pressure will be higher and patience lesser.

If he came with more gravitas then the argument would naturally be to give him time (see the argument for Hodgson from some quarters) but his previous clubs have been Reading, Southampton, Charlton etc so he'll find himself with very limited public support should results go against him.

I agree that AP probably won't receive a huge amount of patience but I'm not so sure how things would have panned out for CH. The performances against Bolton and WBA had been very poor and any thought that we might rely on away form to stay up was blown (and yes some did seem to be relying on that). He wasn't too many poor results away from being under serious pressure imo. 

I agree that AP probably won't receive a huge amount of patience but I'm not so sure how things would have panned out for CH. The performances against Bolton and WBA had been very poor and any thought that we might rely on away form to stay up was blown (and yes some did seem to be relying on that). He wasn't too many poor results away from being under serious pressure imo.   

Yeah, but he had several key players out - this is a definite factor in them results.

We did have players out, but Bolton and West Brom away were gutless displays, no fight at all

I can't really comment much on the Bolton game, but the turning point for the West Brom game in my eyes was Guthrie fucking about and kicking the floor, before that next goal we were looking good to go on and win the game, after that goal we imploded.

We're always going to get a few pastings, that's the nature of the game. When you look at which players were missing from these games and where the errors came from, a lot points to injuries and a lack of depth in terms of quality. Thing is we'll never sort this out under the current owner because he's a tight fisted cunt.

Yeah, but he had several key players out - this is a definite factor in them results.

But we still shipped 5 goals against Bolton with CH's first choice back four playing. I think some people will tend to look back on CH now with more tolerance than they were showing at the time. There was hell on after both those games, and this forum was no exception.

I was against sacking CH (still am) but as I said I don't think there would have been unlimited patience. We'll never know if CH would have got more than 3 points from the last 3 games but I doubt that he would, the last 2 in particular were very hard matches and 3 points isn't actually too bad a return. The fact is that other sides at the bottom and around us have started picking up good points and so we are on the slide. But its all irrelevant anyway, we now have a sequence of games coming up where points should be picked up. AP was appointed because Ashley thought he could make a difference and he has to find a a way to deliver results - whether players are missing or not.

Guest BooBoo

Under Hughton we played direct football with mixed results. Some good wins and some clueless performances. So far, it's been exactly the same with Pardew. However Pardew is the devil so that counts for nothing, in fact let's just Blame Pards!

But we still shipped 5 goals against Bolton with CH's first choice back four playing. I think some people will tend to look back on CH now with more tolerance than they were showing at the time. There was hell on after both those games, and this forum was no exception.

I was against sacking CH (still am) but as I said I don't think there would have been unlimited patience. We'll never know if CH would have got more than 3 points from the last 3 games but I doubt that he would, the last 2 in particular were very hard matches and 3 points isn't actually too bad a return. The fact is that other sides at the bottom and around us have started picking up good points and so we are on the slide. But its all irrelevant anyway, we now have a sequence of games coming up where points should be picked up. AP was appointed because Ashley thought he could make a difference and he has to find a a way to deliver results - whether players are missing or not.

I think CH got a lot more slack because he is a decent man and everyone could see that he was trying to do the right thing in terms of shaping a longer term approach to the club.

Had he been in charge for the Liverpool, Citeh and Spurs games and got the same results I think that the support would have started to wane though

Under Hughton we played direct football with mixed results. Some good wins and some clueless performances. So far, it's been exactly the same with Pardew. However Pardew is the devil so that counts for nothing, in fact let's just Blame Pards!

I thought that Pardew was supposed to be an upgrade on Hughton?  Being the same under Pardew as we were under Hughton shouldn't be good enough and I haven't seen anything yet under Pardew to suggest that it's been exactly the same.  I think we would have probably got something from Man City or Spurs under Hughton.

Guest guinness_fiend

I've missed these statements.  Where can I find them?

Guest BooBoo

But Mick, it's been 3 games. We've got to give him some time, it's unreasonable to expect instant success.

For me he's got the season, not until the summer will I make a judgement on him. I'm not petty enough to hate him just because he isn't Chris Hughton.

But Mick, it's been 3 games. We've got to give him some time, it's unreasonable to expect instant success.

For me he's got the season, not until the summer will I make a judgement on him. I'm not petty enough to hate him just because he isn't Chris Hughton.

Neither am I, I didn't think much of him before he came here but he's our manager now so I want him to do well. The fact is, the timing of his appointment means he has to hit the ground running, we can't afford to go through a slow learning process. All this will have been obvious when the decision was made to sack Hughton so it's hardly the supporters fault if we need results sooner rather than later.

I've missed these statements.  Where can I find them?

Various interviews given at press conferences.