Alan Pardew

JH

Got it all right yesterday. Have a go early on and hope for a goal, but against Man U, you can't keep putting that kind of pressure on all game, and we changed our game plan accordingly.

I wouldn't say we got it "all right". On another day, they could have scored two or three against us.

We were excellent at closing them down, blocking shots and intercepting passes. However, they had enough opportunities to score a few goals. To say our defence was excellent would be a massive exaggeration imo. We on the other hand really, really lack a cutting edge up front. Hopefully Pards won't bend over to Ashley - and will make it clear we need to spend at least half of the Carroll money on a pair of new strikers.

Got it all right yesterday. Have a go early on and hope for a goal, but against Man U, you can't keep putting that kind of pressure on all game, and we changed our game plan accordingly.

I wouldn't say we got it "all right". On another day, they could have scored two or three against us.

We were excellent at closing them down, blocking shots and intercepting passes. However, they had enough opportunities to score a few goals. To say our defence was excellent would be a massive exaggeration imo. We on the other hand really, really lack a cutting edge up front. Hopefully Pards won't bend over to Ashley - and will make it clear we need to spend at least half of the Carroll money on a pair of new strikers.

Theres probably less than a handful teams in the world that could stop a forward line of Anderson, giggs, Nani, Rooney and Hernandez from creating a good few chances during 90 minutes, and we certainly is not one of them.

To not give Pardew and the defence a lot of praise for yesterday is just bollocks.

One of things i noticed when Ireland came on was that he'd clearly been told to keep close to Carrick. That prevented ManU from playing out from the back somewhat so their centre halves started to go long which we dealt with pretty well except for one scare i can remember.

One of things i noticed when Ireland came on was that he'd clearly been told to keep close to Carrick. That prevented ManU from playing out from the back somewhat so their centre halves started to go long which we dealt with pretty well except for one scare i can remember.

Løvenkrands did that as well for most part of the game. In fact, we've had one of our forwards do that pretty much all season, under both Hughton and Pardew.

When he goes mental, like he did with down at the likes of Spurs, Stevenage, Stoke and Villa, he's really overdoing it - he doesn't need to. He's actually tactically very astute. I'd almost argue, even moreso than Hughton.

Proof of the pudding is the summer though, as we all know.

If Newcastle squad members are offered freedom to improvise on the pitch, precious little 'off the cuff' happens away from it these days. Pardew provides every player with a personalised pre-match dossier highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of the next opponents. Not content with relying on the written word, Newcastle's staff augment such information with individual DVD's highlighting rivals' tricks and tactics.

If that's true I'm impressed. Can you imagine Graeme Souness even contemplating that level of preparation?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We did that very well yesterday in terms of picking up individuals and runners. Lovenkrands had the Carrick job in the first half, and did a very good job too.

If Newcastle squad members are offered freedom to improvise on the pitch, precious little 'off the cuff' happens away from it these days. Pardew provides every player with a personalised pre-match dossier highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of the next opponents. Not content with relying on the written word, Newcastle's staff augment such information with individual DVD's highlighting rivals' tricks and tactics.

If that's true I'm impressed. Can you imagine Graeme Souness even contemplating that level of preparation?

Ah yes - the days of "Tactics are for schoolteachers. Just give me 11 proper players working their socks off."

Ah yes - the days of "Tactics are for schoolteachers. Just give me 11 proper players working their socks off."

Christ on a cross. :lol:

Guest sicko2ndbest

“When that happens up here, it is always hard for the visiting team. They way we took the game to them, the way we defended, that was exactly the game plan we had worked on and they found it difficult.

Simpson, journal

Fair play al